TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Dating a person with a mental illness - October 15th 2014, 11:16 PM

So Sammi and I are going to co-write this article about dating/being with somebody who has a mental illness.
I wanted to go ahead and make a thread so if anyone has suggestions for content please post.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19 Points: 18,628, Level: 19

re: Dating a person with a mental illness - October 16th 2014, 04:03 PM

This sounds like a really good article idea! You could mention about how to tell family members/friends and how they could react.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

re: Dating a person with a mental illness - October 16th 2014, 05:04 PM

I like this idea! I'm not sure what angles the two of you are planning to write about, but maybe you could talk about what to do if the person you're dating threatens to harm themselves if you ever end the relationship - I've seen people on here ask for advice about that.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

re: Dating a person with a mental illness - October 16th 2014, 11:52 PM

I agree with the above, if you're going to go from that angle. Heck, I've been worried about that before in FRIENDSHIPS, let alone relationships.

For ideas, maybe ways to be supportive of it? Like don't yell and fight over the mental illness, but instead try and be someone they can come to, and try being open minded?

And maybe also reminding them to be patient/understanding?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

re: Dating a person with a mental illness - October 17th 2014, 01:54 AM

We've decided on these sections:
  • Finding out your significant other has a mental illness (will incorporate Jenny's idea)
  • How to give them support
  • Running Into Problems and Finding Solutions (long title, it can be shortened )
  • How to Handle Breaking Up

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

re: Dating a person with a mental illness - October 17th 2014, 01:41 PM

I have no suggestions to make, content-wise, at this point, but I just wanted to remind you that it's only necessary to capitalise the first word in the title.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - October 17th 2014, 03:52 PM

Why is that the rule it feels so wrong. I fixed the title, I'll try and remember when we post the rough draft.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - December 14th 2014, 05:26 PM

Sammi is too busy to co-write at this time, so I finished this article myself. Here's my rough draft! Also conclusions are my downfall since I'm never sure how to write them, so suggestions would be appreciated.
Dating a person with a mental illness
By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Dating a person with a mental illness can be challenging in multiple ways. You’ll need a lot of patience, empathy, and a positive attitude to make it work. There’s a balance between helping take care of them, and treating them like they can’t help themselves. Finding this balance and knowing how to cope can help ensure that your relationship is still healthy even if their mental health isn't. Even though your partner has a mental illness, it does not mean you two can’t have a normal relationship.

Finding out your partner has a mental illness

When you first start dating somebody, it’s likely you to won’t know too much about each other. Getting to know each other typically consists of showing your best traits to ensure they will return feelings for you. Once you begin dating, trust comes into play as you confide in each other. Learning that your partner has a mental illness can be surprising for some people, and maybe even scary for others. Mental illnesses can be just as inhibiting as physical ones, so it will mean that your relationship will need extra care and more compromises may need to be made in order to keep both people happy.
Mental illness is usually not noticeable just through how a person behaves. For example, more than 350 million people have some form of depression, however we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to hide it and put a smile on their face when in public.
It might be scary to find out your partner has a mental illness after you decide to go steady. If this is the case, it’s important to remember that up until that point, nothing in your relationship was bad enough where you felt you wouldn't work out together.
If you find out your partner has a mental illness, make sure you comfort and reassure them despite how you feel right off the bat.

How to give support

It can be difficult being with somebody who has a mental illness because you’ll feel there’s nothing you can do to help them. That is untrue, there are actually many ways you can be supportive of your significant other.
  • Be a good listener. Sometimes people just need to be able to vent about whatever is bothering them. If your partner has a mental illness, it may be even more crucial that they can confide in you when they aren't doing well. Remember to only offer advice if they ask for it. This is because when you are trying to figure out what to say, you may not be able to listen to everything that they are saying. Instead, let them talk and ask little questions along the way. Then when they've let everything out, you can work together with them to try and find a solution to whatever is bothering them. It can make your partner feel a lot better if they know you will listen and they don’t have to hold everything that they feel in.
  • Encouraging them to reach out for help. This is extremely important to do when you are in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness. Keep an eye out for warning signs of suicidal thoughts. If your partner seems to be struggling to the point where it is interfering with their work or well-being, be sure to talk to them. Remind them that you care about them and don’t want to see them struggling. Suggest people they can talk to, or help them find a counselor to go see. If they refuse or keep insisting that they are fine, don’t be afraid to reach out for them if you notice warning signs. It is better to speak up when nothing is wrong than to ignore it and allow things to get worse. Your partner may be upset when they find out you talked to someone about them, but they will thank you later when they get help.
  • Helping out when their illness is inhibiting them. Mental illnesses are typically life-long, however people can learn to cope with them. This means that some days your partner may be just fine going about their daily life, but other days they may not have the energy to cook for themselves or may feel too low to get out of bed. In this case, it’s important to step up and help them out. If you notice they seem to be struggling more than usual, offer to make them dinner. If they are in a state of mania and can’t sleep, offer to stay up with them if you don’t have to be up early the next day. Being with someone who has a mental illness usually requires more sacrifices and flexibility than in a normal relationship, but doing so will make your partner very appreciative.

Problems and solutions

Being in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness can create more problems, but there are easy solutions. The most important thing is to have patience for your partner. A mental illness can be just as inhibiting as a physical one. Common problems includes:
  • Feeling your partner isn't trying hard enough. This thought can occur even if you are completely in love with your partner. When you see them crying a lot and unable to get out of bed while you feel fine, it can be hard to continue to empathize with them day after day. It can be easy to say: “why can’t you just get up?” but it’s hard for them to find the energy or willpower to do so. The solution to this problem is to step up and help instead of complaining about it to yourself. If they are having trouble getting to work, offer to pack their lunch the night before and set out clothes for them. Studies show that doing things for your partner can actually improve how you feel about them.
  • Feeling like you have to sacrifice too much. You may ask your partner if you two can go to the movies on the weekend. They agree, but when the time rolls around they are having a low day and don’t want to leave the house. You may be getting ready to go meet some friends for lunch, but end up staying home to help calm down your partner who is having an anxiety attack. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you will need to make sacrifices that you may not normally need to make. This can be very grating after a while, and once again patience is key. If you are with someone, you need to be able to handle them at their worst as well as their best. No relationship is happy all the time, even in a relationship without mental illness there will be times when you’ll have to comfort your partner. When you feel worn down by their mood, try and look past the situation and count all of the reasons why you love them. How they feel is temporary, and in time they will be happy again. It’s important that you help them get there as their significant other.
  • Having to worry about them often. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you’re going to worry about them a lot more than if they didn't have the illness. If your partner has an eating disorder, you’re going to worry about if they are eating when you aren't there. If they have anxiety, you’re going to worry if they’re doing alright at work. If they have depression, you’re going to worry if they’re having suicidal thoughts. Worrying is okay and is actually a good thing because it means you care, however excessive worrying can be grating for yourself, too. Things to remember are that your partner can and should be able to take care of themselves. They shouldn't need to rely on a significant other to be alright. It’s also important to remember that if they have trust in you, they will tell you if they are having a low point or if they are struggling more than usual. Try not to get too into their business and instead treat them like they don’t have a mental illness. If you treat them really differently and are always asking if they are doing okay, it could potentially be very irritating for them. Instead, trust that they are taking care of themselves and will ask for your help if it is needed.

How to handle break-ups

Breaking up with someone who has a mental illness can be scary because they are already somewhat unstable. When you break up, be sure to encourage them to spend time with friends and family. Someone who has depression may become suicidal when someone they love breaks up with them. It’s important to remember that if you break up, they are no longer your responsibility and it’s manipulation if they try and make you stay just so they won’t get sad. Break-ups are always hard, and everyone gets sad about them. If they give any warning signs or talk about feeling suicidal, talk to one of their parents or a teacher immediately so they can get help. People with depression may need extra care, but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to break up with them if it isn't working out.
Of course people with other mental disorders or differing levels of depression may not become suicidal. You should still communicate when you break up to make sure they can handle it in a healthy manner. They may try to cling to you because you've been tangled in their life to an extent where they have come to rely on you for mediating their illness. As said before, they aren't your responsibility. It may be beneficial to cut off contact to help them get over you easier.

Mental illness has a wide gradient of how much it interferes with daily life. It may not be anything more than a slight bump in a relationship, or it may cause the relationship to be too stressful. In either case, people with mental illnesses are perfectly capable of being in a committed relationship, so long as both partners communicate and encourage each other. It’s also crucial to note that relationships should not be seen as a way to alleviate a mental illness and especially not to treat one. Relying on someone for happiness isn't healthy, and can put a person in danger because things may not work out. If you or someone you know has a mental illness and wants to get into a relationship, be sure to seek help to cope with the illness, and have many sources of support such as from friends and family so that it does not come down to relying upon just one person.[/size][/color][/font]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - January 23rd 2015, 12:30 AM

I realized you didn't have any edits, so I decided to take a look. Here are just a few, I have some other ideas that I might mention later on.

By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Dating a person with a mental illness can be challenging in multiple ways. [Cassie: Have a lot of ideas in my head for this so I put it in orange. Maybe you can replace 'multiple' with 'numerous' or 'various'. You could end that sentence with 'reasons' instead of 'ways'. You could also consider mentioning something about how it can be a positive and rewarding experience.] You’ll need a lot of patience, empathy, and a positive attitude to make it work. There’s a balance between helping take care of them, and treating them like they can’t help themselves. Finding this balance and knowing how to cope can help ensure that your relationship is still healthy even if their mental health isn't. Even though yYour partner's has a mental illness, it does not mean you two can’t have a normal healthy relationship.

When you first start dating somebody, it’s likely you to won’t know too much about each other. Getting to know each other typically consists of showing your best traits to ensure they will return feelings for you. Once you begin dating, trust comes into play develops as you confide in each other. Learning that your partner has a mental illness can be surprising for some people, and maybe even scary for others you. Mental illnesses can be just as inhibiting as physical ones, so it will mean that your relationship will need extra care and more compromises may need to be made in order to keep both people happy you and your partner content.
Mental illness is usually not only noticeable just through how a person behaves observed behavior. For example, more than 350 million people have some form of depression,. hHowever, we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to hide it and put a smile on their face conceal their suffering when in public the company of others. [Cassie: You could even mention that a lot of statistics are thought to be low because so many things go unreported and it's thought that a lot of people go without help.]
It might be scary to find out your partner has a mental illness after you decide to go steady. If this is the case, it’s important to remember that up until that point, nothing in your relationship was bad enough where you felt you wouldn't work out together.
If you find out your partner has a mental illness, make sure you comfort and reassure them despite how you initially feel right off the bat. [Cassie: It might be worth talking about taking some time out to process through it. Maybe you can encourage people to take the time to educate themselves on the illness as well.]

How to give support

It can be difficult being with somebody who has a mental illness because you’ll might feel as though there’s nothing you can do to help them. That is untrue, there are actually many ways you can be supportive of your significant other. [Cassie: I think it might be easier to follow if you either choose to use 'partner' or 'significant other' throughout the entire article.]
  • Be a good listener. Sometimes people just need to be able to vent about whatever is bothering them. If your partner has a mental illness, it may be even more crucial that they can confide in you when they aren't doing well. Remember to only offer advice if they ask for it. This is because when you are trying to figure out what to say, you may not be able to listen to everything that they are saying. Instead, let them talk and ask little questions along the way. Then when they've let everything out, you can work together with them to try and find a solution to whatever is bothering them. It can make your partner feel a lot better if they know you will listen and they don’t have to hold everything that they feel in.
  • Encourageing them to reach out for help. This is extremely important to do when you are in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness. Keep an eye out for warning signs of suicidal thoughts. [Cassie: Warning signs, such as?] If your partner seems to be struggling to the point where it is interfering with their work or well-being, be sure to talk to them. Remind them that you care about them and don’t want to see them struggling. Suggest people they can talk to, or help them find a counselor to go see. If they refuse or keep insisting that they are fine, don’t be afraid to reach out for them if you notice warning signs. It is better to speak up when nothing is wrong than to ignore it and allow things to get worse. Your partner may be upset when they find out you talked to someone about them, but they will thank you later when they get help.
  • Helping out when their illness is inhibiting them. Mental illnesses are typically life-long, however people can learn to cope with them. This means that some days your partner may be just fine going about their daily life, but other days they may not have the energy to cook for themselves or may feel too low to get out of bed. In this case, it’s important to step up and help them out. If you notice they seem to be struggling more than usual, offer to make them dinner. If they are in a state of mania and can’t sleep, offer to stay up with them if you don’t have to be up early the next day. Being with someone who has a mental illness usually requires more sacrifices and flexibility than in a normal relationship, but doing so will make your partner very appreciative.

Problems and solutions

Being in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness can create more problems, [Cassie: Maybe refer to it as 'obstacles' instead?] but there are easy solutions. The most important thing is to have patience for your partner. A mental illness can be just as inhibiting as a physical one. Common problems includes:
  • Feeling your partner isn't trying hard enough. This thought can occur even if you are completely in love with your partner. When you see them crying a lot and unable to get out of bed while you feel fine, it can be hard to continue to empathize with them day after day. It can be easy to say: “wWhy can’t you just get up?” but it’s hard for them to find the energy or willpower to do so. The solution to this problem is to step up and help instead of complaining about it to yourself. If they are having trouble getting to work, offer to pack their lunch the night before and set out clothes for them. Studies show that doing things for your partner can actually improve how you feel about them.
  • Feeling like you have to sacrifice too much. You may ask your partner if you two can go to the movies on the weekend. They agree, but when the time rolls around they are having a low day and don’t want to leave the house. You may be getting ready to go meet some friends for lunch, but end up staying home to help calm down your partner who is having an anxiety attack. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you will need to make sacrifices that you may not normally need to make. This can be very grating after a while, and once again patience is key. If you are with someone, you need to be able to handle them at their worst as well as their best. No relationship is happy all the time, even in a relationship without mental illness there will be times when you’ll have to comfort your partner. When you feel worn down by their mood, try and look past the situation and count all of the reasons why you love them. How they feel is temporary, and in time they will be happy again. It’s important that you help them get there as their significant other.
  • Having to worry about them often. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you’re going to worry about them a lot more than if they didn't have the illness. If your partner has an eating disorder, you’re going to worry about if they are eating when you aren't there. If they have anxiety, you’re going to worry if they’re doing alright at work. If they have depression, you’re going to worry if they’re having suicidal thoughts. Worrying is okay and is actually a good thing because it means you care, however excessive worrying can be grating for yourself, too. Things to remember are that your partner can and should be able to take care of themselves. They shouldn't need to rely on a significant other to be alright. It’s also important to remember that if they have trust in you, they will tell you if they are having a low point or if they are struggling more than usual. Try not to get too into their business and instead treat them like they don’t have a mental illness. If you treat them really differently and are always asking if they are doing okay, it could potentially be very irritating for them. Instead, trust that they are taking care of themselves and will ask for your help if it is needed.

How to handle break-ups

Breaking up with someone who has a mental illness can be scary because they are already somewhat unstable. When you break up, be sure to encourage them to spend time with friends and family. Someone who has depression may become suicidal when someone they love breaks up with them. It’s important to remember that if you break up, they are no longer your responsibility and it’s manipulation if they try and make you stay just so they won’t get sad. Break-ups are always hard, and everyone gets sad about them. If they give any warning signs or talk about feeling suicidal, talk to one of their parents or a teacher immediately so they can get help. People with depression may need extra care, but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to break up with them if it isn't working out.
Of course people with other mental disorders or differing levels of depression may not become suicidal. You should still communicate when you break up to make sure they can handle it in a healthy manner. They may try to cling to you because you've been tangled in their life to an extent where they have come to rely on you for mediating their illness. As said before, they aren't your responsibility. It may be beneficial to cut off contact to help them get over you easier. [Cassie: Might be worth expanding a little bit to add that if they do anything to harm themselves, that is their choice and not fault of the other person.]

Mental illness has a wide gradient of how much it interferes with daily life. It may not be anything more than a slight bump in a relationship, or it may cause the relationship to be too stressful. In either case, people with mental illnesses are perfectly capable of being in a committed relationship, so long as both partners communicate and encourage each other. It’s also crucial to note that relationships should not be seen as a way to alleviate a mental illness and especially not to treat one. Relying on someone for happiness isn't healthy, and can put a person in danger because things may not work out. If you or someone you know has a mental illness and wants to get into a relationship, be sure to seek help to cope with the illness, and have many sources of support such as from friends and family so that it does not come down to relying upon just one person.[/size][/color][/font]

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - February 7th 2015, 07:07 PM

So I derped and forgot you left me these edits.
]

By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Dating a person with a mental illness can be challenging for various reasons, however it can still be a very rewarding experience. You’ll need patience, empathy, and a positive attitude to make it work. There’s a balance between helping take care of them, and treating them like they can’t help themselves. Finding this balance and knowing how to cope can help ensure that your relationship is still healthy even if their mental health isn't. Your partner's mental illness does not mean you two can’t have a healthy relationship.

When you first start dating somebody, it’s likely you to won’t know too much about each other. Getting to know each other typically consists of showing your best traits to ensure they will return feelings for you. Once you begin dating, trust develops as you confide in each other. Learning that your partner has a mental illness can be surprising, and maybe even scary for you. Mental illnesses can be just as inhibiting as physical ones, so it will mean that your relationship will need extra care and more compromises may need to be made in order to keep you and your partner content.
Mental illness is usually not only noticeable through how a person behaves observed behavior. For example, more than 350 million people have some form of depression. However, we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to conceal their suffering when in the company of others. Many people also do not report their depression and do not get help.
It might be scary to find out your partner has a mental illness when you are very committed. [Nicole: I'm not quite sure how to word this sentence.] If this is the case, it’s important to remember that up until that point, nothing in your relationship was bad enough where you felt you wouldn't work out together.
If you find out your partner has a mental illness, make sure you comfort and reassure them despite how you initially feel. It can be very beneficial to educate yourself on the illness that your partner has. There are many books you can read or you can speak to a counselor about it and get tips for how to be supportive.
How to give support

It can be difficult being with somebody who has a mental illness because you might feel as though there’s nothing you can do to help them. That is untrue, there are actually many ways you can be supportive of your partner.
  • Encourage them to reach out for help. This is extremely important to do when you are in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness. Keep an eye out for warning signs of suicidal thoughts. This can include your partner talking about death, making reckless decisions such as speeding, unhealthy coping mechanisms such as self harm, and/or if they seem to have lost their interest in activities they used to enjoy. If your partner seems to be struggling to the point where it is interfering with their work or well-being, be sure to talk to them. Remind them that you care about them and don’t want to see them struggling. Suggest people they can talk to, or help them find a counselor to go see. If they refuse or keep insisting that they are fine, don’t be afraid to reach out for them if you notice warning signs. It is better to speak up when nothing is wrong than to ignore it and allow things to get worse. Your partner may be upset when they find out you talked to someone about them, but they will thank you later when they get help.
  • Help out when their illness is inhibiting them. Mental illnesses are typically life-long, however people can learn to cope with them. This means that some days your partner may be just fine going about their daily life, but other days they may not have the energy to cook for themselves or may feel too low to get out of bed. In this case, it’s important to step up and help them out. If you notice they seem to be struggling more than usual, offer to make them dinner. If they are in a state of mania and can’t sleep, offer to stay up with them if you don’t have to be up early the next day. Being with someone who has a mental illness usually requires more sacrifices and flexibility than in a normal relationship, but doing so will make your partner very appreciative.

Problems and solutions

Being in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness can create more obstacles, but there are easy solutions. The most important thing is to have patience for your partner. A mental illness can be just as inhibiting as a physical one. Common problems includes:
  • Feeling your partner isn't trying hard enough. This thought can occur even if you are completely in love with your partner. When you see them crying a lot and unable to get out of bed while you feel fine, it can be hard to continue to empathize with them day after day. It can be easy to say: “Why can’t you just get up?” but it’s hard for them to find the energy or willpower to do so. The solution to this problem is to step up and help instead of thinking negatively. [Nicole: Is that worded better?]If they are having trouble getting to work, offer to pack their lunch the night before and set out clothes for them. Studies show that doing things for your partner can actually improve how you feel about them.

How to handle break-ups

Of course people with other mental disorders or differing levels of depression may not become suicidal. You should still communicate when you break up to make sure they can handle it in a healthy manner. They may try to cling to you because you've been tangled in their life to an extent where they have come to rely on you for mediating their illness. As said before, they aren't your responsibility. It may be beneficial to cut off contact to help them get over you easier. If they harm themselves in any way, it was their decision and you shouldn't feel like it was your fault. Everybody has an ability to cope in a healthy way.

Mental illness has a wide gradient of how much it interferes with daily life. It may not be anything more than a slight bump in a relationship, or it may cause the relationship to be too stressful. In either case, people with mental illnesses are perfectly capable of being in a committed relationship, so long as both partners communicate and encourage each other. It’s also crucial to note that relationships should not be seen as a way to alleviate a mental illness and especially not to treat one. Relying on someone for happiness isn't healthy, and can put a person in danger because things may not work out. If you or someone you know has a mental illness and wants to get into a relationship, be sure to seek help to cope with the illness, and have many sources of support such as from friends and family so that it does not come down to relying upon just one person.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - February 8th 2015, 10:13 PM

I think "Thinking negatively" is worded a bit better.

Maybe you can omit "when you are very committed" altogether?

You forgot to add a space after the paragraph right before "How to give support"

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - February 9th 2015, 05:05 PM

I took out the committed part.

By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Dating a person with a mental illness can be challenging for various reasons, however it can still be a very rewarding experience. You’ll need patience, empathy, and a positive attitude to make it work. There’s a balance between helping take care of them, and treating them like they can’t help themselves. Finding this balance and knowing how to cope can help ensure that your relationship is still healthy even if their mental health isn't. Your partner's mental illness does not mean you two can’t have a healthy relationship.

When you first start dating somebody, it’s likely you to won’t know too much about each other. Getting to know each other typically consists of showing your best traits to ensure they will return feelings for you. Once you begin dating, trust develops as you confide in each other. Learning that your partner has a mental illness can be surprising, and maybe even scary for you. Mental illnesses can be just as inhibiting as physical ones, so it will mean that your relationship will need extra care and more compromises may need to be made in order to keep you and your partner content.
Mental illness is usually not only noticeable through how a person behaves observed behavior. For example, more than 350 million people have some form of depression. However, we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to conceal their suffering when in the company of others. Many people also do not report their depression and do not get help.
If you find out your partner has a mental illness, make sure you comfort and reassure them despite how you initially feel. It can be very beneficial to educate yourself on the illness that your partner has. There are many books you can read or you can speak to a counselor about it and get tips for how to be supportive.

How to give support

It can be difficult being with somebody who has a mental illness because you might feel as though there’s nothing you can do to help them. That is untrue, there are actually many ways you can be supportive of your partner.
  • Encourage them to reach out for help. This is extremely important to do when you are in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness. Keep an eye out for warning signs of suicidal thoughts. This can include your partner talking about death, making reckless decisions such as speeding, unhealthy coping mechanisms such as self harm, and/or if they seem to have lost their interest in activities they used to enjoy. If your partner seems to be struggling to the point where it is interfering with their work or well-being, be sure to talk to them. Remind them that you care about them and don’t want to see them struggling. Suggest people they can talk to, or help them find a counselor to go see. If they refuse or keep insisting that they are fine, don’t be afraid to reach out for them if you notice warning signs. It is better to speak up when nothing is wrong than to ignore it and allow things to get worse. Your partner may be upset when they find out you talked to someone about them, but they will thank you later when they get help.
  • Help out when their illness is inhibiting them. Mental illnesses are typically life-long, however people can learn to cope with them. This means that some days your partner may be just fine going about their daily life, but other days they may not have the energy to cook for themselves or may feel too low to get out of bed. In this case, it’s important to step up and help them out. If you notice they seem to be struggling more than usual, offer to make them dinner. If they are in a state of mania and can’t sleep, offer to stay up with them if you don’t have to be up early the next day. Being with someone who has a mental illness usually requires more sacrifices and flexibility than in a normal relationship, but doing so will make your partner very appreciative.

Problems and solutions

Being in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness can create more obstacles, but there are easy solutions. The most important thing is to have patience for your partner. A mental illness can be just as inhibiting as a physical one. Common problems includes:
  • Feeling your partner isn't trying hard enough. This thought can occur even if you are completely in love with your partner. When you see them crying a lot and unable to get out of bed while you feel fine, it can be hard to continue to empathize with them day after day. It can be easy to say: “Why can’t you just get up?” but it’s hard for them to find the energy or willpower to do so. The solution to this problem is to step up and help instead of thinking negatively. If they are having trouble getting to work, offer to pack their lunch the night before and set out clothes for them. Studies show that doing things for your partner can actually improve how you feel about them.

How to handle break-ups

Of course people with other mental disorders or differing levels of depression may not become suicidal. You should still communicate when you break up to make sure they can handle it in a healthy manner. They may try to cling to you because you've been tangled in their life to an extent where they have come to rely on you for mediating their illness. As said before, they aren't your responsibility. It may be beneficial to cut off contact to help them get over you easier. If they harm themselves in any way, it was their decision and you shouldn't feel like it was your fault. Everybody has an ability to cope in a healthy way.

Mental illness has a wide gradient of how much it interferes with daily life. It may not be anything more than a slight bump in a relationship, or it may cause the relationship to be too stressful. In either case, people with mental illnesses are perfectly capable of being in a committed relationship, so long as both partners communicate and encourage each other. It’s also crucial to note that relationships should not be seen as a way to alleviate a mental illness and especially not to treat one. Relying on someone for happiness isn't healthy, and can put a person in danger because things may not work out. If you or someone you know has a mental illness and wants to get into a relationship, be sure to seek help to cope with the illness, and have many sources of support such as from friends and family so that it does not come down to relying upon just one person.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 43,416, Level: 29 Points: 43,416, Level: 29 Points: 43,416, Level: 29

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - March 1st 2015, 10:37 AM

By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Mental illness is usually not only noticeable through observed behavior. For example, the World Health Organization estimates that more than 350 million people have some form of depression. [Haley: Do you have a source for this?] However, we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to conceal their suffering when in the company of others. Many people also do not report their depression and do not get help.

How to give support

Problems and solutions

Being in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness can create more obstacles, but there are easy solutions. The most important thing is to have patience for your partner. A mental illness can be just as inhibiting as a physical one. Common problems include:
  • Feeling your partner isn't trying hard enough. This thought can occur even if you are completely in love with your partner. When you see them crying a lot and unable to get out of bed while you feel fine, it can be hard to continue to empathize with them day after day. It can be easy to say: “Why can’t you just get up?” but it’s hard for them to find the energy or willpower to do so. The solution to this problem is to step up and help instead of thinking negatively. If they are having trouble getting to work, offer to pack their lunch the night before and set out clothes for them. Studies show that doing things for your partner can actually improve how you feel about them.
  • Feeling like you have to sacrifice too much. You may ask your partner if you two can go to the movies on [Nicole: Haley, here in America we say "on the weekend." It may be over there in England you guys say "at the weekend." If this is the case, I think it's fine to stay because there's not really a need to change cultural differences in articles since it's technically right either way.] the weekend. They agree, but when the time rolls around they are having a low day and don’t want to leave the house. You may be getting ready to go meet some friends for lunch, but end up staying home to help calm down your partner who is having an anxiety attack. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you will need to make sacrifices that you may not normally need to make. This can be very grating after a while, and once again patience is key. If you are with someone, you need to be able to handle them at their worst as well as at their best. No relationship is happy all the time; even in a relationship without mental illness there will be times when you’ll have to comfort your partner. When you feel worn down by their mood, try and look past the situation and count all of the reasons why you love them. How they feel at that moment in time is temporary, and in time they will be happy again. It’s important that you help them get there as their significant other.
How to handle break-ups

Last edited by Eternal; March 1st 2015 at 03:37 PM.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - March 1st 2015, 03:36 PM

I accidentally hit "edit" instead of "quote" on your post Haley, my apologies! I didn't realize it until I hit "save" and then I was like ..oh wait.

By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Mental illness is usually not only noticeable through observed behavior. For example, the World Health Organization estimates that more than 350 million people have some form of depression. [Nicole: I added a source.] However, we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to conceal their suffering when in the company of others. Many people also do not report their depression and do not get help.

How to give support

Problems and solutions

Being in a relationship with someone who has a mental illness can create more obstacles, but there are easy solutions. The most important thing is to have patience for your partner. A mental illness can be just as inhibiting as a physical one. Common problems include:
  • Feeling like you have to sacrifice too much. You may ask your partner if you two can go to the movies on [Nicole: Haley, here in America we say "on the weekend." It may be over there in England you guys say "at the weekend." If this is the case, I think it's fine to stay because there's not really a need to change cultural differences in articles since it's technically right either way.] the weekend. They agree, but when the time rolls around they are having a low day and don’t want to leave the house. You may be getting ready to meet some friends for lunch, but end up staying home to help calm down your partner who is having an anxiety attack. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you will need to make sacrifices that you may not normally need to make. This can be very grating after a while, and once again patience is key. If you are with someone, you need to be able to handle them at their worst as well as at their best. No relationship is happy all the time; even in a relationship without mental illness there will be times when you’ll have to comfort your partner. When you feel worn down by their mood, try and look past the situation and count all of the reasons why you love them. How they feel at that moment in time is temporary, and in time they will be happy again. It’s important that you help them get there as their significant other.
How to handle break-ups

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - March 1st 2015, 04:06 PM

No problem. Leave it as 'on the weekend'. I didn't know that that's how you say it in America, sorry! I'm learning!
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - March 1st 2015, 05:28 PM

That's the beauty of TH, you get to learn things about other cultures. Don't worry about it though, it's always best to advise edits even if you aren't 100% sure of them.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - March 1st 2015, 09:09 PM

Final draft. Unless anyone has any last-minute edits that I may have missed.

By Nicole (Pug Princess)

Mental illness is usually not only noticeable through observed behavior. For example, the World Health Organization estimates that more than 350 million people have some form of depression. However, we don’t often realize how common it is because people tend to conceal their suffering when in the company of others. Many people also do not report their depression and do not get help.

How to give support

Problems and solutions

• Feeling like you have to sacrifice too much. You may ask your partner if you two can go to the movies on the weekend. They agree, but when the time rolls around they are having a low day and don’t want to leave the house. You may be getting ready to meet some friends for lunch, but end up staying home to help calm down your partner who is having an anxiety attack. No matter what mental illness your partner has, you will need to make sacrifices that you may not normally need to make. This can be very grating after a while, and once again patience is key. If you are with someone, you need to be able to handle them at their worst as well as at their best. No relationship is happy all the time; even in a relationship without mental illness there will be times when you’ll have to comfort your partner. When you feel worn down by their mood, try and look past the situation and count all of the reasons why you love them. How they feel at that moment in time is temporary, and in time they will be happy again. It’s important that you help them get there as their significant other.
How to handle break-ups

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Re: Dating a person with a mental illness - March 3rd 2015, 04:13 PM

This article has now been published.
Closed Thread