TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aaron, Offline
Crumbling away
Average Joe

Name: Aaron

Points: 10,727, Level: 15 Points: 10,727, Level: 15 Points: 10,727, Level: 15

Dating advice - May 13th 2016, 04:02 AM

Alrighty. First of all. I joined here about 10 years ago. At 23 I feel less of the need to come here; I really don't have all that to talk about. So I just come here once in a while to be somewhat nostalgic of a simpler allbeit difficult time full of teenage angst

However I felt I should make a thread. Haven't really made one about my probkems in years. And have been feeling like shit fo a while now so I thought it's about time.

Anyway. So I haven't gotten laid - let alone dated- anyone in a very long time. ( coming up on a year with sex, about 4 years I 've had my share of company over time but I all been spread out over the last 5 Years.) On paper it looks like a short time, but feels like an eternity.

Its getting to me. I strive for affection giving and receiving, platonic or otherwise. I have few friends, really just coworkers that I smoke pot and listen to music with. Nothing incredibly deep. Its nice. I enjoy it.

Then the loneliness comes at night. It sucks the life out of me. It fuels my depression. I'm not incredibly social but almost all of the time I'm very friendly and courteous.

I have a very mild case of cerebral palsy, which does make me question my image alot, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with how I look. I've tried online dating for a while on and off. I don't think I ever picked up a girl in person, actually. I used to frequent bars alot , but never had the balls to make a move. I really don't drink as much as I used to, so that venue is basically closed for now.

So yeah. Dating advice would be appreciated. Thanks lots (:

7:55 AM [Hotard] everything is triggering
7:55 AM [Hotard] what if someone is allergic to the dough
7:55 AM [Hotard] and they get maniac rage burst
11:22 AM [Metallica] men think with their penises...to some extent
11:22 AM [~Emily~] One head or the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess~
There is no way that you are pregnant, and if you are your child is Jesus.

Last edited by Aaron,; May 13th 2016 at 04:26 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Blushies

Points: 5,663, Level: 11 Points: 5,663, Level: 11 Points: 5,663, Level: 11

Re: Dating advice - May 14th 2016, 02:58 AM

Well I know I can't help much but what site did you try? some or more for dating and some is for um fun stuff and other are for real dating and
Maybe try meeting new people though friends? Or though games if you like playing games

And I'm sorry if I can't help I've never been in your shoes but don't give up hope!

A heart without dreams is like a bird without feathers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bunnyboy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,277, Level: 9 Points: 4,277, Level: 9 Points: 4,277, Level: 9

Re: Dating advice - May 15th 2016, 12:25 AM

It depends what you want in a relationship, I am currently in a relationship with someone who I started talking to on an online game, after about two months of talking we kinda felt we liked each other, so if you like playing games you could meet someone on there. I haven't ever met my girlfriend but you are quite a lot older than me so you would, if you wanted to, meet up with someone.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Dating advice - May 15th 2016, 12:40 AM

You're case sounds pretty typical of people our age (being a fellow early-20's person myself).

Bars are definitely not the place to try to meet women. Trust me, been there done that; from my end, it's usually men approaching me and it ends up being horribly uncomfortable. I feel like some girls don't mind, but most of the time its just hook ups. The fact that I have a friend who married her bar hook up is a rarity to the point of near-impossibility (seriously, they hooked up at a bar and some how it worked out, but that like, normally never happens). My point is that you don't need to worry about that not being your scene; if what you want is a relationship, it probably won't work.

I'm bringing other things up here cause *long online dating bit*. In person, you can join groups; churches, theatre groups, gyms (especially good if you go to classes like cycle or zumba or yoga), martial arts, tennis, art classes, cooking classes, campus clubs, photography, book clubs etc. The options are endless, especially as you get into larger communities like cities. The thing is that you won't necessarily hit it off right away with anyone. Let's use gym classes here; usually people are focused on not face planting while doing zumba or whatever, but there are some opportunities for chatting before and after. Some groups are more social, but it might take some time to find those opportunities. Volunteering is another good way to meet guys; I had a guy or 2 get to know me at one place and ask me out, but at the time i wasn't really interested in dating because *reasons that don't matter for this purpose* so I declined.

Any ways, online dating is a good choice. That's how I met my boyfriend actually (2 years later, we're still going strong, going to get married too). OkCupid has a good reputation. Places like Plenty of Fish can be super sketch, idk why (more prone to hook ups maybe?) So be picky about the online culture of these sites. OkCupid is good because it's a free site but is more intended for relationships I think. To be fair, online dating can be hard; my boyfriend (and other men I know) said that very few women approached them, meanwhile I was probably getting 5-10 men talking to me a day and it was impossible to keep up with that so I often only replied to the men who seemed like they were the most interesting or most like my type (kind of one and the same, depending on your point of view). I know that that sounds unfair, but I also had to live my life and couldn't spend all day talking to a dozen different men on a dating website, the majority of whom I would likely never get around to having a first date with. This is a common experience for men and women, which can be frustrating for both parties, but never fear, women will approach men (I did for example), it's just that a lot of us won't message as many men compared to how many women men seem to message, you know what I mean? Online dating is something you have to be patient with. If anything, I would suggest to get OkCupid and maybe Tinder and just sort of have it in the background but don't spend all your hopes, dreams and energy on it, you know what I am saying?
Also, don't do stupid things on online dating. Like I had a bunch of guys send me poetry and all I could think was "what the fuck?" And this is totally unsolicited poetry and I had noooooo idea why they were sending me it, nor do I really like poetry. I feel like until you know a women, the conversation should be small talk. But don't go as boring as "hi", like I said, some of us are getting toooons of messages; it might work, but might not. Make sure the girls have something to respond to without going overboard; "hi, how are you?" is seriously good enough, if you checked out the profile, maybe you can be like "hi, how are you? I see you like reading, I like reading too, I just finished reading the Odyssey" lalalala.
Also, don't overshare; I had a conversation once that literally went "hi how are you" good how are you "good", end convo and next thing I know the guy is coming back with profuse apologies about how he didn't answer cause he was really depressed and stuff. I was sorry to hear the guy was dealing with something like that; I've had my own battles with depression and anxiety and I know how much it sucks, but I also really didn't need to know something like that about a total stranger and it just worried me that he'd be the sort of guy who'd be super emotionally needy and draining (again, got my own issues, I can get through the day just fine but I don't need to have a boyfriend who's going to drag me down into the hole i just got out of). I also have a friend who kept telling guys that she was a virgin right away cause she thought they deserved to know, but then didn't understand when they'd shy away after that, but like it probably made her seem really insecure and like she had a ton of baggage. Again, everyone has their baggage / issues / insecurities, but there is a time and place to introduce that and it isn't usually right away before you even know the guy from Adam / the girl from Eve.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Destroyprophecy Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,068, Level: 10 Points: 5,068, Level: 10 Points: 5,068, Level: 10

Re: Dating advice - May 15th 2016, 06:49 AM

You can always try asking some of the people you talk to if they know anyone you can get to know relationships and dating cam definitely be hard. Try to talk to mire people around you and attend events that u can meet new people at (concerts etc)im sure you will find someone soon c:
feel free to message me if you need anything
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Aaron, Offline
Crumbling away
Average Joe

Name: Aaron

Points: 10,727, Level: 15 Points: 10,727, Level: 15 Points: 10,727, Level: 15

Re: Dating advice - May 17th 2016, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the advice. (:

On another note, OKC is a shithole. All the women in my area seem to care more about their political views than relationships. It can get pretty radical to the left. I'm a more moderate person. I mean there are some nice people. But havent had alot of luck. I suppose I should invest less time in it haha.

7:55 AM [Hotard] everything is triggering
7:55 AM [Hotard] what if someone is allergic to the dough
7:55 AM [Hotard] and they get maniac rage burst
11:22 AM [Metallica] men think with their penises...to some extent
11:22 AM [~Emily~] One head or the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess~
There is no way that you are pregnant, and if you are your child is Jesus.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Destroyprophecy Offline
Average Joe

Points: 5,068, Level: 10 Points: 5,068, Level: 10 Points: 5,068, Level: 10

Re: Dating advice - May 17th 2016, 04:26 AM

Same with where i live. I live in a shitty small town and it took me forever to find someone especially with the way i dress if you truley want it keep looking if you keep trying your hard work will pay off
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Rosset Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosseline

Points: 4,610, Level: 10 Points: 4,610, Level: 10 Points: 4,610, Level: 10

Re: Dating advice - May 19th 2016, 10:02 AM

Hey bunnyboy... That's a good love story there.
Closed Thread