TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Trying to support myself with my upcoming birthday - March 17th 2024, 05:41 PM

Hi everyone,

So I am turning 30 years old this year, in less than one month and I have been a member of TH since October 2011 so approximately 12 and a half years! So I'm turning to this community for support and perspective.

I was thinking how I want to do something meaningful this year for my birthday but I couldn't place my finger on exactly what I had wanted. I had a wide range of birthday experiences but it was all within the same paradigm. I sort of wanted to start with maybe a new tradition. I'm not sure if I will have the classic things this year with all the materialistic side of birthdays but regardless I want something deeper, something more.

So I was realizing that my love language is words of affirmations and encouragement and I think in light of struggling with my mental health a lot I came up with this ides that I can invite my friends, acquaintances and certain family members to recall and express to me their love in words or pictures. It can be a favorite or special memory of me, something i have taught them, a strength or quality that they admire about me or something unique about me that makes me ME. I think that my state of mind can really benefit hearing loving words right now. And in my old age of 30 years old, I have outgrown the typical "happy birthday, hope you have a good day" or even "If you make a party, I will try to attend". Because while I'd love to beat some of my isolation I've been feeling in any way I can and have a reason to gather my loved ones all in one place and be the center of attention while we eat cake and food, once they leave, I will feel alone again and may even feel heartbroken that the friendships don't feel so strong. I think the feedback that I am loved and valued can really help with my self-esteem and feel a sense of belonging on earth, that the day I was born is the day that G-d, thr universe, whoever decided the world needs me.

Regaining that feeling of connection would probably last longer too. When I feel loved and cared for, I can feel a groundedness in who I am and can manage alone time and disappointment if friends are too busy. Because I have that feedback to refer back to.

My question is I guess is how to ask on a practical level for this kind of support as a way to support myself on my upcoming milestone birthday without sounding blaming or desperate? It isn't my intention to blame anyone, but I do feel sad and hurt and alone. As for desperate, I feel like I've been deprived of feeling close to even a single individual lately and that has very much been impacting my quality of life. The fact that my family of origin are incapable of providing meaningful support to me as been a wound that I'm constantly coping with and the attempt to make friends and build a sense of community outside of my family has been challenging and like a constant pro-active "fight" that sometimes becomes exhausting and not even satisfying. The rewards are slow and often short-lived. I am in a vicious cycle of interpersonal stress with only scattered moments of relief.

I just want my birthday to feel genuinely happy for me and I've definitely came close some years more than others but I've never celebrated with the same people more than a couple of years in a row because my support system is unstable and I cannot shake off that sadness of not having a few people to be "my tribe" so to speak.

I think that creating a collection of people saying loving words to express towards me can help but I feel silly asking abd don't want to be rude. Also a few people said in passing "we should celebrate" but I think they expect me to throw my own party. I don't know if I want a party as much as I want love on a deep enough way for me to feel it. The party is a nice bonus. But I want to feel that I am a person who matters and for that to feel authentic by the people around me.

I guess this is a different kind of post than most other posts in thud forum so feel free to move it to like general mental health or whatnot.

~Show Yourself
Step Into Your Power~

~Grow Yourself,
Into Something New~
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,646, Level: 59 Points: 172,646, Level: 59 Points: 172,646, Level: 59

Re: Trying to support myself with my upcoming birthday - March 17th 2024, 08:17 PM

I don't think you'd be rude for asking. Maybe you can say something like "My birthday is coming up and instead of gifts or a party, I would like people to share their favorite memory, photo, or something else about me. It would really mean a lot to me to hear from you, and I will carry what you share with me for a long time. These are things I can think about whenever I need encouragement." I think that it doesn't sound desperate but explains a bit about why you'd like this to be done without going into extreme detail.

I'm also wondering if as an add-on you can write down some of the highlights of the year. You can look at these and remind yourself that even though there have been struggles, some cool things have happened too.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa
Pronouns: She / her

Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3

Re: Trying to support myself with my upcoming birthday - March 18th 2024, 12:39 PM

I think this is a really valid thing to ask for. You know you get a lot from verbal affimations so thats what you want from people on your birthday. If it helps, just from reading this I experience you as self aware, which is a quality in others I enjoy!
You asked how to ask for it... I think that if you say something like, "My birthdays coming up, and I know a lot of people are struggling with money so I dont want presents and wont be hosting a party because thats expensive too. If you were thinking of getting me a present, could you write me a few words about which of my qualities you like, and give that to me instead? Id really appreciate that instead of a present," the people who get the whole affirmations thing will understand what youre saying. Maybe not all of them will, but maybe thats a way of figuring out whose in your tribe?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.