TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Cutting in college? - January 5th 2014, 08:46 PM

There came a time where I thought I'd feel ridiculous if I still cut myself after high school. Now that's not the case anymore. I kind of expect myself to cut a lot in college.

My mind keeps telling me how since I'll be living in a dorm, I can cut all I want on whatever part of my body I want and my parents can't stop me. I guess the only thing they really can do is refuse to take me home for the weekends.

But, do colleges give their students any sort of consequences for self harming? Obviously it's not high school anymore where they'll be like "Omg, I have to tell your parents." But would they have to say anything to me at all? Would they like force me to get help (I am planning on getting professional help in college anyway)? Or, would they sort of not question it at all and just leave me be?

It's probably a stupid question. I'm an adult, not a minor, so they're not gonna be holding my hand. But I'm paranoid.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Cutting in college? - January 5th 2014, 09:23 PM

Hey,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! That was really informative.

I'm just tired of hiding the cutting. It's really annoying to keep getting scared of my parents finding out (even though I feel like I'm gonna be screwed in a matter of a few months anyway ) and having to hide it all in one place.

So, let's say I don't SERIOUSLY hurt myself. I have never had to go to the ER for my cutting and with the tool I use, I don't think it's possible TO go that deep (or at the very least, it's very hard). So while I self harm, the cutting doesn't put me at immediate danger of having to get stitches or anything.

In that case, unless I'm feeling suicidal, do you think they'd revoke my residential status? One of the colles I'm looking at and actually leaning towards going to, the website says they have a free psychiatrist where I'd only have to pay for any prescriptions, so I could see them. That's what I was planning on doing anyway. Would the fact that it's not severe enough to warrant an ER visit and I'm planning on seeking help work in my favor at all?

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount32

Edit avatar

Re: Cutting in college? - January 5th 2014, 09:34 PM

If you're not in danger of seriously injuring yourself and are not suicidal, I don't think you'd have any trouble. They might direct you toward resources that could help, but it doesn't sound like you'd be in danger of having your residential status revoked at all. At least not at my school. I can't speak for every college, but I go to school in Rhode Island, so not that far from where you are. In my experience, Housing Directors and RAs are very well-educated on issues such as cutting and know that a lot of the time, self-injurious behaviors aren't necessarily indicative of suicidal thoughts. I would be careful, however, not to let the fear of having your residential status revoked stand in your way of seeking help if things were, for any reason, to get serious. In that case, it's better to reach out and get help. I don't regret seeking help for my suicidal thoughts at all. Yes, getting "kicked out" of the dorms was an inconvenience for quite a while, but in the end, I know that it was important that I sought help.

I hope this makes sense!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

Points: 16,688, Level: 18 Points: 16,688, Level: 18 Points: 16,688, Level: 18

Re: Cutting in college? - January 6th 2014, 12:23 AM

Hey Dez

I was in the same situation at the starting of college/through-out college. I never got caught/got in trouble for it, but most of my roommates knew due to the fact I did not always wear my sweater like I do when I am at home. Thankfully, I had good roommates and three of them said to my face "If you ever need to talk or need help, I'm here for you".

Another thing that kept me from self harming a lot though, was my program. I was in culinary, so the sleeves of the chef jackets had to be rolled up to the elbow. That was extremely awkward, having my scars/cuts showing at all times in classes. I got questioned A LOT from the other students.

However, you do have to be careful. One of my friends roommates (who was NOT self harming at the time) left his antidepressants sitting out beside a knife, and he got contacted by residence people, security and a counsellor about it. They made him come talk to them for about an hour. I know thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be awkward.

I know you've been around here for quite awhile (ive seen your posts and such a lot ) but I would suggest looking over the alternatives list and seeing if any of those can help

Best of luck and you can always message me to talk if you feel the need

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013
Closed Thread