TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Points: 13,983, Level: 17 Points: 13,983, Level: 17 Points: 13,983, Level: 17

Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 5th 2011, 02:47 PM

I have goals for school, goals for my future career, etc...but I also have another goal: writing a book. I want to write and publish at least one book in my lifetime. I don't care how successful it is, I just want it out there. Not a book on my subject, though (computer science)...I'm thinking fantasy/adventure. Does anyone else have a goal that doesn't quite relate to their life?

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 5th 2011, 03:11 PM

Forgive me, but I don't see how this doesn't relate to your life? After all, it is something that you want to spend time out of your life doing, so it has to be a part of it.

Actually, I can't see how it's possible to have a personal goal (versus stuff like 'world peace', for example) that isn't... personal.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 11th 2011, 12:00 AM

Hey Christine!

I agree with the above. And actually, I have the same goal as you do. I've written the VERY rough draft of a novel and I would like to maybe revise it (a LOT) and publish it or write a different novel later on that I will publish. But writing isn't something I'm sure I want to make a career of. It's just something I love doing, and if it pans out, great. If not, I have other things I love to do as well.

So, to make a long answer short...No. I don't think it's weird at all, but it does relate to your life!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 11th 2011, 01:01 PM

Christine, this totally relates to your life. You obviously enjoy writing, so you want to make it something you can be known for, right? Loads of people have this goal, so no, I don't think it's strange at all. In fact, I'd love to get a book out there too, only a poetry book, as I don't have the persevierence to write a novel

Anwyay, I wish you the best of luck in acheiving your goal, if you put your mind to it, anything is possible.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 13th 2011, 05:24 AM

It dose relate to your life. And good luck with it

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Points: 13,234, Level: 16 Points: 13,234, Level: 16 Points: 13,234, Level: 16

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 16th 2011, 01:28 PM

Even if it didn't relate, it's not like you're forbidden to have unrelated goals. I want to master the Japanese language, and I'm going into psychology. In this world, there is so much to learn, and if you narrowed yourself to one specific place, then it just wouldn't be any fun. So go ahead and write that book! You can do it.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 16th 2011, 03:11 PM

I'm guessing what you mean by "unrelated" is a goal that doesn't pertain to your chosen career path. In which case, yes, I do have some of those. I'm looking to go into philosophy and/or sociology, but I also have dreams like becoming fluent in French, perhaps writing a book (not sure), and helping people who are struggling with various issues like I do on here. It's great that you have an idea of what you want to do when you're older, but remember that you don't have to limit yourself to that one particular area. Like Alice said, if you did that, your life wouldn't be as fun or fulfilling!

Get out there and experience! There's so much to learn and to do!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 18th 2011, 12:53 AM

I don't think its weird. Different people have different interests

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Hunter_Killer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alice

Points: 8,042, Level: 13 Points: 8,042, Level: 13 Points: 8,042, Level: 13

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 18th 2011, 03:39 AM

Not at all shoot for the moon, so you can land among the *stars*
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
evans_x Offline
Just a whisper in the wind ..
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

Points: 9,217, Level: 14 Points: 9,217, Level: 14 Points: 9,217, Level: 14

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 18th 2011, 07:38 AM

Yup! I'd like to publish a book too! (: & at least create a nice piece of clothing for myself to wear as part of fashion designing (:

♪ Remember when, you were my boat and I was your sea. Together we'd float so delicately ♥

(#11 (permalink)) Old
NonIndigenous Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25 Points: 32,114, Level: 25

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 23rd 2011, 04:23 PM

It's totally normal. At some point most people will get bored with their own life and want to do something totally different that seems unrelated to their current life. Bored isn't the right word but it's the shortest way to put it.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Is it strange to have a goal that doesn't relate to anything in your life? - April 24th 2011, 08:33 AM

I have a goal to visit space, and I want to go into script writing. You can have goals for anything, so long as you know you can work towards them.

I'm going to work hard, earn money and then buy a flight to space with virgin. Nothing whatsoever to do with my career choice, but a goal nonetheless.

Go and write your book! You can do it!

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
Closed Thread