TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Rape and Abuse If you or someone you know is being abused in any way and you need support or advice, don't hesitate to reach out to us here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Olivia

the one thing I don't like about men - November 17th 2019, 04:02 AM

First let me say that I am sorry for anybody who has gone through any kind of abuse. My abuse is barely a pin drop compared to others, but it still affects me.

I know every girl has gone though this and that is guys grabbing us without our permission. Concerts, especially mosh pits, have been a problem for me from the beginning. I was 13 and at a concert in Anahiem when some guy ended up grabbing my barely there boobs from behind. Looked around and did not know who it was. Ended up just walking out of that mosh pit and finding some seat in the back row. And EVERY SINGLE TIME I have been in a mosh pit I have had guys grab me! I want to have my fun and enjoy the night and before I know it some guy is grabbing me.

The other thing I don't like about men is how they look at me when I am at the gym. I am ***16 YEARS OLD*** but I always get some older guy that looks at me at some point during my workout. I even switched gyms one time because I would see the same guys constantly and yet the other gym had the same problem just different guys. I even had one guy take photos of me with his cell phone!!!

And I know my abuse is not like others and I know some people will wonder why I am bothered by this but all I can say is that this abuse DOES bother me.

Last edited by little_butterfly; November 17th 2019 at 06:47 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: the one thing I don't like about men - November 17th 2019, 12:47 PM

Hi Olivia,

It is good you posted this. Hopefully writing about it helped! Know that your experiences matter and you deserve to be supported just as much as anyone else does. Everyone's life experiences are so different, no true comparison can really be drawn because of that. Comparisons tend to hurt; it might help if you try to stop making them if you feel up to it. At the end of the day, you matter. What you feel and lived through matters.

It's completely understandable to be bothered by this. A lot of people would be. Do you have any friends who like to work out? If you do, you could try going to the gym together. It can be a nice distraction to have your friend around and a cool way of spending time together as well.

You deserve to be able to go out, whether it's to the gym or a concert, and feel safe. You should be able to do those things without being groped or gawked at. Maybe someone else on the site will come stop by with additional thoughts to share. In the meantime, know we're here for you whenever.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: the one thing I don't like about men - November 17th 2019, 04:06 PM

It's truly messed up but yes, you're right, many women experience non-consensual groping or touch at some point in their lives. Your experience is valid and just because it doesn't seem as "bad" as what others go through doesn't mean it hasn't deeply affected you. I, too, would suggest you stop drawing comparisons. The things that cause us pain, cause us pain. This hurt you and it's not right.

I can't give you one sure-all way to make sure this doesn't happen. I remember mosh pits as a teen and that's kind of just what happens when you're in one. It's messed up but it's hard to pinpoint who is groping you and so you cannot really be assertive in setting boundaries/telling someone what they did was not okay. I think if you want to be in the mosh pit you may have to assess the risk that someone will grope you. I know it's horrible to say that, but with so many bodies all thrashing in one place you just can't single someone out for the most part. If it happens I would suggest taking a break from the mosh pit like you did the first time and seeking support from your friends, or maybe on here. Even though that's kind of just the "way" or things it doesn't make it okay and you deserve to feel safe and supported.

As for the gym, if you feel comfortable I think you can be more direct. You are a minor and you could definitely get the staff of the gym involved if you needed to. An adult male should not be taking pictures of a minor at the gym (although really no one should take pictures of anyone at the gym). You can tell him to stop and erase the pictures, or to please stop interfering with your workout. I think the idea of working out with a friend or taking a class is a good one, too. Working out in groups can be even more motivating and fun. If all else fails, consult the staff. You deserve to have a safe space to workout.

Ideally the world would be a safe place for women but it's often not, not in our current climate. But progress is being made. People are becoming more aware, more informed, and stronger advocates against this sort of casual touching behavior. You always have a right to speak up if you feel safe, and talk to your friends. They can have your back, too.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Serendipity. Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Re: the one thing I don't like about men - November 17th 2019, 05:20 PM

First of all, let me address what you say at the beginning of your post. You say what you've gone through is barely a pin-drop in comparison to the trauma others have gone through. This is an absolute BS statement. As Cynefin said, everyone has different experiences and what traumatizes us—no matter how "big" or "little" it may seem—is still valid no matter what. What you've gone through is just as valid as anything else because it has upest and traumatized you. Stop comparing your trauma and experiences to other; you're only hurting yourself.

I think Cynefin and Jordan have already given good advice and ideas. I want to say that I've never gone to any sort of unpredictable crowd gathering—such as a mosh pit—for that exact reason. When you're surrounded by hundreds of people in such a crowded space, lots of noise and commotion, you have no idea what's going to happen when. I think if you do want to go to a concert again, go with some friends and have a safe/code word to use when you are feeling uncomfortable. That way, you can all withdraw until the moment passes. You might miss important moments or a song you love, but you and your mental well-being matters more.

The next time someone is creeping on you at the gym or wants to take a picture, I suggest reporting it to the manager or whoever is working there at the time. Unfortunately, we live in a world where women—even those under the age of consent—are objectified by men who have no respect for the opposite sex. What you can do is stand up for yourself, speak up for others, and advocate for the women in your life including yourself. No woman should have to stop doing something they love because men can't control themselves.

Best of luck, feel free to reach out again if you need to.

HelpLINK MentorCommunity Mentor Articles Writer Newsletter Editor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: the one thing I don't like about men - November 23rd 2019, 12:32 AM

I'm grateful to never have had a random guy grab me. I honestly don't know how I'd react if it does happen. Given that I'm quite vocal about things I dislike, I'd probably do that.

In relation to the gym, I can completely relate. I've been working out at the gym for over 3 years now. I go every week. I've seen all sorts of things happen whilst I've been there, and the men end up acting quite differently when there's a female present. I don't know if anyone's taken pictures of me though. If they have, they were either very discreet, or I was way into my workout to notice.

Sometimes I've had it where there are several unused benches in a row. A guy could have picked any one of those benches but ends up selecting the one right next to me. Another time I was busy doing walking lunges when a guy decided to walk all the way to the tricep dip area near me (even though there was one unused by the entrance) and starts dipping away. As soon as I'd finished my 60 second rest and started doing my lunges across the room again, he stops and starts doing super heavy hammer curls (with really bad form) whilst constantly checking his surroundings. When I lunge back to my starting position, woosh, he's back on tricep dips. I made the mistake of making eye contact with him and he smiled at me. As soon as I ignored him, he left moments later. A few days later the same guy comes back, I was on bench press near the dip machine by the entrance. He could have used the same one as he did last time since it was free, but oh no, he starts working out next to me. Brings weights over and starts doing curls there too. 5 minutes later he leaves. Ok then...

More recently I was doing some light-weight cable rows when a couple of what looked to be teenagers were on the cable machine adjacent to me. One had the weight so high he couldn't even bicep curl properly and the other was constantly half repping whilst looking over to see if I was checking him out. I think he forgot peripheral vision exists.

All in all, it's unfortunate thing that happens at gyms around the world. If you see/suspect someone taking pictures of you, don't approach them, but report it to the manager or person in charge for the day. You have a right to be respected!

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Olivia

Re: the one thing I don't like about men - December 3rd 2019, 02:35 AM

I have had my boyfriend join me for my last few visits to the gym, and to my amazement NONE of the guys look at me, lol! I guess it helps on having a nice good looking muscular guy around

As for concerts I am not sure what I will be doing differently. Yes, the boyfriend will be around if possible, but I still plan on jumping in that mosh pit and having some contusion before I am finished.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
gjoiiks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: the one thing I don't like about men - December 5th 2019, 06:14 AM

It is good you posted this. Hopefully writing about it helped! Know that your experiences matter and you deserve to be supported just as much as anyone else does. Everyone's life experiences are so different, no true comparison can really be drawn because of that. Comparisons tend to hurt; it might help if you try to stop making them if you feel up to it. At the end of the day, you matter. What you feel and lived through matters.