TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
User Anon. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,943, Level: 11 Points: 5,943, Level: 11 Points: 5,943, Level: 11

Question Does this qualify as an eating disorder? - February 20th 2016, 04:44 AM

Hey, everyone!

I never thought about this as anything out of the ordinary before, but everyone I talk to says it is Anyway, I'm a 16 year old male (I don't know what details you might need, so I'm just throwing these in :P ) and I eat sugar every time I'm angry/irritated or both. I dont even think about it, every time I feel that way, I just head to the kitchen and dump about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar into my mouth, I think it's on a subconscious level that I do it. I don't know if the sugar helps, I think it does help me calm down a bit, but I'm not too sure

So, what do you guys think? I don't know much about eating disorders Oh yeah, I also have a lack of appetite, even though I'm hungry, I don't feel like eating the food that's on my plate I mean, when I'm really hungry, I head to the kitchen to see if there's anything for me to eat, but once I look at the food, I don't feel like putting it in my mouth. What's up with that? I think that's because of my depression and everything, though. Don't know if it's related. Just saying :P

Any information would be appreciated, thank you for your time
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Does this qualify as an eating disorder? - February 20th 2016, 08:04 PM

Bare in mind that I'm not a medical professional so I can't be the one to say for sure, but I would be happy to share my own insight to what you described to hopefully help you out (mini disclaimer is done now lol)

For the loss of appetite - You mention that you have depression, and I know that that can affect your health. I have anxiety and I know that I've also felt that way where I just don't feel hungry (even though I am hungry?). It's a side affect / symptom of many mood disorders to lose your appetite (anxiety and depression being the more common ones).

For eating the sugar, I mean, we all have quirks? It might just be the funny little thing that is your response / coping mechanism. I'm not quite sure why your specifically eating what I understand is white sugar - is there a lack of other sugary foods in your home? - but who knows.

If this is something your struggling with, you could try counselling. Talking to a professional can help a lot to work through these things and identify why you think and act the way you do (trust me, it helps).

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Does this qualify as an eating disorder? - February 27th 2016, 05:47 PM

Hi there,

I'm not medically trained so I personally can only offer advice on experience and can not give you a diagnosis of an eating disorder etc.

Personally, I wouldn't say you have an eating disorder. You do this when you feel a certain way so it sounds like a coping mechism although I've not heard of anyone do this one before, it could be possible. And not having an appetite could easily be caused by you feeling low and depressed. Have you spoken to anyone about all of this? If it's not having a big affect in your life, you don't necessarily have too but if it is having a big affect on your life and you feel depressed a lot or angry etc, I want to encourage you to talk to someone about it. Someone like a teacher, a family member, a friend, a counsellor or your doctor just for some support. These people can all help you through this in different ways and I think having a good support network is vital if this is having a big impact on your life, so maybe it's something to think about.

In the meantime know that we're here for you anytime you need us and you're more than welcome to message me anytime.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
Closed Thread