TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Name: Christian

Points: 8,871, Level: 13 Points: 8,871, Level: 13 Points: 8,871, Level: 13

But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 12:35 AM

I am mentally ill. There's no denying this fact, and while I may not be alone as there are millions of others on college campuses, fact is that they likely suffer from a stress-induced depression or some other depressive disorder whereas mine is a trauma disorder that makes it extremely difficult to retain information.. especially in stressful environments. Staying true to all mental illnesses, it renders me with little motivation and energy as well.
With this being said, what's the point of me trying to pay my way through college? Never mind how, but why? I don't really want it. My brain is already full to bursting, and I have more than enough stress. I don't want this to be expected of me. I want to do what I want, not live for the expectations of others. Not having a degree doesn't make me stupid.

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Average Joe

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17 Points: 14,175, Level: 17

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 01:18 AM

Have you tried taking on-line classes at home? There you can do schooling on your time, you don't have to worry about other people.

I'm taking on-line classes for my college, and I love it being on-line it's so simple.

Not going to college doesn't make you dumb or stupid, you can still get a job and everything.

Look into an on-line college, that might save the stress on you.

to you!

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 03:12 AM

You're right! Not going to college doesn't make you stupid. It just means...well, you're not going to college! There are plenty of other options out there.

That said...If you find something you really love to do and it requires some college or a college degree, don't let mental illness hold you back. You may even change your mind later in life and get a degree as a personal achievement. Don't let what anyone else says make you feel like you HAVE to do anything. Just remember that the options are out there and don't let anything hold you down.

(If you ever do decide to go to college, I also recommend taking advantage of student services. Most colleges today have a policy of accommodating students with mental illnesses and learning disabilities. I also agree with the online classes comment above.)

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 05:14 AM

You can certainly go through online colleges to earn your degree but you can only run so far from stressful environments, whether employed, self-employed or not employed. Think what your aspirations are for your future and keep the college door open, even if you don't want to attend right away. You're defined by more than just your mental illness, I'm sure it makes situations tougher but hiding behind it will wear out.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Aureate Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Natalie

Points: 9,574, Level: 14 Points: 9,574, Level: 14 Points: 9,574, Level: 14

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 01:59 PM

Also keep in mind that it is totally okay to just wait a few years and attempt college when you are in a better state of mind. There's nothing wrong with being a couple of years older, and you'll be able to handle the stress a lot better, have more life skills and actually know what you want to get out of college. It's much easier to study and work towards something when you have a goal.

Whats the point of having a rapier wit if I can't stab people with it?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26 Points: 33,948, Level: 26

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 12th 2012, 05:21 PM

As someone with depression made worse by stress I can tell you that it makes things a lot harder, but it is doable. Most if not all schools have accomodations available for students with disabilities which I believe includes mental illness.

As everyone else has said, look at what you want to do with your future and see what you would need. Online classes are an option, but keep in mind that a lot of times there's more work involved because you basically have to teach yourself the material. You could also delay college until you're more stable or forgo it completely if you don't need it for what you want to do.

It's a decision every person has to make for themselves, you have to find the balance between not overwhelming yourself while not letting your illness hold you back. If you're seeing a professional I would discuss it with them or talk to someone at a potential college to see what's involved. Community college is generally less stressful than a 4 year school and you can decide how many hours to take etc.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LazzaBeep Offline
Nothing Is Impossible :)
Not a n00b

Points: 10,561, Level: 15 Points: 10,561, Level: 15 Points: 10,561, Level: 15

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 13th 2012, 12:06 PM

You could try courses you can do from home? I know a few people who do this and they are under no stress as they are working at there own pace and they can go back and re visit units if they don't understand them.
As for the college, well there is help at colleges for you if you decide to take this option.
I get all kinds of support from my college because I struggle in lessons. It helps a lot knowing that you are not dealing with these things on your own and you have someone to fall back on if things get too stressful.
May be something you want to look into before your rule college out all together.
Hope everything works out

Do You Take The Non-Believers, Because I'm A Non-Believer

There are 6 billion people in this world. But sometimes all you need is 1.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 15th 2012, 03:05 AM

Okay, perhaps I should be more specific. I have no desire to go to a uni with dorms and such. I want to go there to hurry up and study, get my degree, and leave. There are absolutely no "experiences" I want from college. I want my degree and then I want to leave and do my own thing. I'm considering the online schooling. It all depends... My home life is crap and I'm not moving away from the only family I have.

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17 Points: 14,830, Level: 17

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 15th 2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiena View Post
Okay, perhaps I should be more specific. I have no desire to go to a uni with dorms and such. I want to go there to hurry up and study, get my degree, and leave. There are absolutely no "experiences" I want from college. I want my degree and then I want to leave and do my own thing. I'm considering the online schooling. It all depends... My home life is crap and I'm not moving away from the only family I have.
Ohhh!! Well in that case, I highly recommend online classes! I don't know what options you have where you live, but around here community college is usually the best and most affordable way to start out online. For-profit online programs can be good sometimes, but make sure they are accredited and are reasonably priced. That way, you can go at your own pace, but know that you are working toward a degree that will help you once you are done. (Be wary of programs such as University of Phoenix, Art Institute, ITT Tech, etc. These are not all bad, but in a lot of cases it is a high cost for an average reward.)

Feel free to PM me. I am not an expert but I might be able to answer questions about the online classes experience, etc. Best of luck to you!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 16th 2012, 10:32 PM

I might... at this point I'm seriously considering just running... It may be best

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 17th 2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I might... at this point I'm seriously considering just running... It may be best
Running? As in, running away?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 18th 2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post

Running? As in, running away?

Ahyup... Unfortunately, yes. I'm slowly losing all that remains of my sanity... I can't take it much longer. I'm not going to make it another year; that's just not possible anymore. I've come close to ending it all this past week and took up self injuring again because I can't take the stress.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39 Points: 77,427, Level: 39

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 18th 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Ahyup... Unfortunately, yes. I'm slowly losing all that remains of my sanity... I can't take it much longer. I'm not going to make it another year; that's just not possible anymore. I've come close to ending it all this past week and took up self injuring again because I can't take the stress.
It seems like going to college (or even taking online classes) should be very low on your list of priorities, then. Your mental well-being should ALWAYS come first, because if you're not well, you're not going to be able to accomplish much - at least, not on your own. Are you currently seeing a psychological professional? What do you have as far as support is concerned? You said your home life is crap, but then you said you don't want to move away from the only family you know - so does that mean you're currently living with people who are good or bad for your well-being?

I'll admit that I don't suffer from PTSD or another trauma-related problem, but I have gone through that whole process of deciding whether or not to go to college - twice. It's stressful for anyone, and I can only imagine how much more stressful it is for you. Right now, I really hope that you can re-focus on your mental well-being and forget about all these expectations for a little while. Trust me, it's never too late to go to college... but taking care of yourself is something that can't wait.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: But What If I Don't WANT To Go To College? - May 19th 2012, 12:58 AM

I'm seeing a social worker, but that hasn't done much. My home life is crap; my only family is my boyfriend. I don't really know what to think anymore. I'm tired of the anxiety...

Closed Thread