TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20 Points: 20,934, Level: 20

Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 01:38 AM

Seems like a simple enough mistake (very similar names on both prescriptions) but could have tragic consequences:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...44/detail.html

I'd hate to be the one responsible for inadvertently killing someone's child that way that's for sure.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 02:57 AM

Personally, I think it's dangerous to sell drugs that can terminate pregnancies over the counter. But that's more of an issue for the government or health department or whoever decides those things.

I think it's really good that the pharmacy came forward and admitted the mix-up without placing full blame on the pharmacist involved. Silva is not a common last name and if the first names were extremely similar as well, I can see how this would occur. It is a shame that this mix-up could have such a terrible consequence, but accidents do happen.

And I actually think that her response to the pharmacy's apology was just down-right rude. Obviously she is upset, but she should take some of the blame too. If I was taking a new prescription, I would definitely be checking that it was the right one, especially if I was pregnant.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 03:16 AM

That's the thing. It wasn't an over the counter drug to terminate a pregnancy. That's how this happened. It was a prescription, that they gave to the wrong woman. I just don't see how this error could have been made if they followed all the normal procedures, without being careless. They should check birth date, address, etc. Every pharmacy I've ever been to has done so.

I honestly don't think she was wrong at all for her reaction. People trust pharmacies, they don't always check. And I know when I check, I don't look at my name. I look at the name of the drug and if she didn't know the name of the actual drug (instead of the common name that isn't on prescription bottles) and her doctor prescribed it KNOWING she was pregnant, I'm not sure it would occur to most people to check.

If I were her, and the baby ended up with any deformity, I'd demand the company pay any and all hospital/medical bills for the child for the rest of it's life. (unless it's obvious something else caused it like genetics)

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 03:24 AM

Lesson learned: Trust no one.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 05:57 AM

Tragic, terrible mistake. Should of and could of easily been prevented.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMadness View Post
Tragic, terrible mistake. Should of and could of easily been prevented.
She could have also read the label on the pills before taking them. That is her fault, she is and was capable of that but didn't do so. Since she's pregnant, she should have been extra cautious. However, this doesn't excuse the pharmacist's mistake although the similar name mix-up is a bit understandable.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 07:00 AM

It's an awful accident, but I do agree that she should have read the label. I always read the labels if I need medicine.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Points: 16,638, Level: 18 Points: 16,638, Level: 18 Points: 16,638, Level: 18

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 07:37 AM

You should read the labels of medicine....?
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 07:41 AM

No one is incapable of making a mistake and she should of read the label...
It's more the womans fault for taking it than the pharmacys fault for giving it to her.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
She could have also read the label on the pills before taking them. That is her fault, she is and was capable of that but didn't do so. Since she's pregnant, she should have been extra cautious. However, this doesn't excuse the pharmacist's mistake although the similar name mix-up is a bit understandable.
I never said who's fault it was. I totally agree that she should of read the label. I read everything before I take it.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 01:54 PM

Why is everyone putting this on the woman? It sounds like people are implying that they got what she deserved for not reading the label.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranquilChaos View Post
Why is everyone putting this on the woman? It sounds like people are implying that they got what she deserved for not reading the label.
So, is it not down to the woman at all?
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The pharmacist should have checked more carefully; but the woman should also have checked the medicine.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I just don't see how this error could have been made if they followed all the normal procedures, without being careless. They should check birth date, address, etc. Every pharmacy I've ever been to has done so.
I completely agree. Any pharmacy I've been to has made me give my name and birth date before they will give me the prescription to make sure I'm getting the right one. There really is no excuse for a mix up imo.

At the same time, I have to put some blame on the woman (although I still find the pharmacy mostly at fault). All of my prescriptions come with an information booklet describing what the drug does, risks and side effects. Also on the bottle it gives the name of the drug, my name and directions for taking it. I always read the information and never just start popping pills. Even if its something I've gotten prescribed more than once and am aware of directions and side effects.

I wonder what was prescribed to her tbh, because I assume the abortion pill would only be one or two pills. Anything I can think of that would be safe for her to take during pregnancy (depression meds, vitamins, nausea meds are a few I can think of) would comes in a bottle of more than a couple pills. That would have sent off red flags for me :/

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

Last edited by Jocelyn.; February 8th 2011 at 05:54 PM.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 8th 2011, 08:00 PM

I'm not saying it isn't her fault at all. Just that it sounds like some of the people in here think it's entirely her fault and that she got what she deserved or something.
Personally, I don't read the book. If I do, I get freaked out at all the possible side effects that probably won't happen. I know we don't let my grandfather read them either (he won't take the medicine pretty much keeping him functional). And she should have read the directions, but she could have done that without seeing the name.

Perhaps she glanced at it, thought it was her name as the pharmacist did. And took it. Now. I'm not sure if it's safe for pregnant women or what circumstances it was used, but I know I've been on antibiotics with only a couple pills. It also depends on why she was taking an antibiotic. If she was sick, and wanted relief she probably wasn't thinking as clear as she could.

I still think, however, it is way more the pharmacy's fault.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 05:01 AM

I think its quite silly that you say its the womans fault completely...I mean yea she could have checked the package, but pharmacists can't afford to mess up like this. I am sure it was just a mistake, and I am not completely blaming the pharmacist, but really, that was a really really dangerous thing to do. What happened if the correct label was written on the wrong packet of pills...I know that wasn't the case this time, but you can't mess with drugs!
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Points: 16,638, Level: 18 Points: 16,638, Level: 18 Points: 16,638, Level: 18

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 08:11 AM

The label is on the box, not the leaflet. I'm sorry but I thought checking it had your name on it was common sense. Yes the pharmacy got it wrong, it was a simple mistake. I just think the woman was somewhat foolish also.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 08:17 AM

I always read the label before I take something, even if I took it earlier the day, even for super minor things like ibuprofin, or benadryl. I have an odd paranoia about people tampering with my medicine and my food, which is why if someone touches my food I refuse to east it, or drink out of a used cup. Is that a psychological issue? Paranoia of people trying to poison you?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 12:41 PM

Just an added note, but aren't most prescriptions in massive letters on the front of the box? Regularly in a different colour? If she pays so little to what she's taking I don't think anyone can blame the doctor...
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Points: 11,688, Level: 15 Points: 11,688, Level: 15 Points: 11,688, Level: 15

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 12:53 PM

The pharmacist had an obligation to ensure he had the correct prescription. Healthcare employees are supposed to double check things. He should have checked the prescription against what he saw in the computer and not just hand it out. Chances are he checked the information with her verbally and then grabbed the prescription that he thought was hers without double checking it.

As for the woman checking it, chances are she wouldn't realize what it is unless she checked the information packet that went with it although there should have been a yellow warning sticker not to take if you are pregnant (it may be worded differently though.) Not to mention the pharmacy may fill generic only so then the name may have been different.

I have had pharmacies misspell my first name before.

Future Medic and Infectious Disease Nurse. Current EMT-B and Volunteer Fire Fighter.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 01:51 PM

What is this box everyone is talking about? I've never received a BOX for a prescription

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
What is this box everyone is talking about? I've never received a BOX for a prescription
Your prescriptions come loose in a bag? O.o
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 02:11 PM

They come in a bottle? But the bottle doesn't have all that information on it. And it certainly isn't printed big.
The bottle comes in a bag like this http://www.pharmacyautomationsupplie...s/Ad-Bag-4.jpg

Or more recently, a mostly clear walgreens ziplock bag. in bottles like this:
http://www.thecampofthesaints.com/si...Bottle-300.jpg

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I've never, ever had a pescription of pills that didn't come in a box. Pretty much all of them do?

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 9th 2011, 02:37 PM

It is the pharmacy's job to get the prescriptions right. I would be pissed. I'm not saying that the woman was completely without responsibility in this... but let's face it... we all think that we should be able to trust medical professionals not to make such a huge mistake as that one. Yeah, yeah, they're only human... but this is an awful big mistake that could have been avoided had whoever was giving the prescription to her taken the time to check that it was correct.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 10th 2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
I've never, ever had a pescription of pills that didn't come in a box. Pretty much all of them do?
I've never had a box unless it's liquid and a big bottle. I guess they do it differently in different countries?

(#27 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 10th 2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
Um not here they don't. Mine just came in a bottle...put in a brown bag!
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 14,604, Level: 17 Points: 14,604, Level: 17 Points: 14,604, Level: 17

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 10th 2011, 02:28 PM

I don't get a box. Here, they give you an orange bottle. It has a sticker on it with all the pertinent information. Sometimes they put it in a bag.

Also I don't think it's relevant The point is, prescriptions come with information. Obviously, both the woman and the pharmacy are to blame. You should always be mindful of what you're putting into your body, but that said, you shouldn't feel as though you always have to be completely on guard.

At the end of the day, all that's left to say is that it's tragic that both woman and pharmacy made such fatal mistakes.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Points: 38,778, Level: 28 Points: 38,778, Level: 28 Points: 38,778, Level: 28

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 01:29 AM

terrible mistake. it's usually standard for the pharmacist to go over the label with you, explain directions, etc.. but obviously not in this case. the woman should have check before taking them though. taking medication without reading the label/instructions is a bit stupid.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#30 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount84

Edit avatar

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 02:02 AM

The pharmacy fucked up. But you can't deny the woman was an idiot here too. She is pregnant! If there is an info booklet, she SHOULD read it to make sure her doctor didnt mess up. But even just check the name.I mean really, take some self responsibility and take these basic precautions, other people can fuck up, so if you are in a situation, like being pregnant, add in your own checks, to try ensure the safest possibility. It clearly wasn't that hard, the article pointed out that she worked out it was the wrong meds by checking the bottle after she felt ill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball&chain View Post
I wonder what was prescribed to her tbh, because I assume the abortion pill would only be one or two pills. Anything I can think of that would be safe for her to take during pregnancy (depression meds, vitamins, nausea meds are a few I can think of) would comes in a bottle of more than a couple pills. That would have sent off red flags for me :/
Did you read the article at all? No? "Silva said the pharmacist at the Ft. Lupton Safeway gave her the prescription of methotrexate. Methotrexate is used in chemotherapy regimens to treat cancer, but it is also used to terminate early-stage pregnancies."
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Did you read the article at all? No? "Silva said the pharmacist at the Ft. Lupton Safeway gave her the prescription of methotrexate. Methotrexate is used in chemotherapy regimens to treat cancer, but it is also used to terminate early-stage pregnancies."
I wasn't talking about what she was actually given... I was talking about what she was actually prescribed and was there to pick up. I was saying that the pills she was mistakenly given were probably only a pack of one or two pills and that most prescriptions consist of more than just a couple pills.... Like prenatal vitamins or depression pills, something of that nature come probably in a months supply. I really can't think of much else that would be safe for her to take. So the fact that the bottle she received was possibly a low count of pills should have tipped her off.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 02:50 AM

She was picking up an antibiotic.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 03:15 AM

Oh ok you said that earlier but I must have missed it. I haven't had to take an antibiotic in awhile so maybe most do come in small packs now. I used to have to take multiple a day for a few days.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount84

Edit avatar

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball&chain View Post
I wasn't talking about what she was actually given... I was talking about what she was actually prescribed and was there to pick up. I was saying that the pills she was mistakenly given were probably only a pack of one or two pills and that most prescriptions consist of more than just a couple pills.... Like prenatal vitamins or depression pills, something of that nature come probably in a months supply. I really can't think of much else that would be safe for her to take. So the fact that the bottle she received was possibly a low count of pills should have tipped her off.
Seeing it was cancer medication, I doubt it only had a couple of pills in the bottle.

You take to be a like a weeks course of antibiotics, where you take them 3 times a day. Say the other meds were one a day meds, that you take over a longer period, it doesnt seem unlikely both would have a decent amount in.

She wasn't given a prescription for an abortion pill, she was given someone's cancer medication perscription, which happens to be able to terminate early pregnancies. So its unlikely that they only gave her a handful of pills, as cancer doesnt tend to go away over night.
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Seeing it was cancer medication, I doubt it only had a couple of pills in the bottle.

You take to be a like a weeks course of antibiotics, where you take them 3 times a day. Say the other meds were one a day meds, that you take over a longer period, it doesnt seem unlikely both would have a decent amount in.
Or, like me, you can get antibiotics that you take for three days. There are ones you can take one day. One pill. That works for ten days. So even if it WERE just one or two pills, it's still possible her own prescription could have only had one or two pills

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:

She wasn't given a prescription for an abortion pill, she was given someone's cancer medication perscription, which happens to be able to terminate early pregnancies. So its unlikely that they only gave her a handful of pills, as cancer doesnt tend to go away over night.
Honestly, you could have said that without attempting to make me look like an idiot by questioning whether or not I read the article. I did read the article and I did see the information you quoted. For some reason I wasn't putting two and two together, and in my mind the person who was supposed to receive the methotrexate was going to use it as an abortion pill and the fact that it was also use in cancer patients was just extra useless information. Honest mistake. So, thanks I guess, for explaining that. It makes sense now.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 03:10 PM

I think it's both their faults. They both should have checked the pills :/ I always read the labels in a box of tablets (even for over the counter pain killers) :| I'm not even pregnant.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy.Wife.Student View Post
It is the pharmacy's job to get the prescriptions right. I would be pissed. I'm not saying that the woman was completely without responsibility in this... but let's face it... we all think that we should be able to trust medical professionals not to make such a huge mistake as that one. Yeah, yeah, they're only human... but this is an awful big mistake that could have been avoided had whoever was giving the prescription to her taken the time to check that it was correct.
I agree, it is the pharmacist to blame here.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 11th 2011, 05:00 PM

The pharmacist isn't solely to blame here. Although they probably know more about the medications, arrange them for each person and we assume they did it correctly, the woman is responsible for verifying it herself. Most pregnant women are hyper-vigilant over what medications they take. Since she didn't read the label and got affected, she shares half the blame because she is responsible for what she consumes. The pharmacist did not have her take the medications, the pregnant lady knowingly took the medications carelessly without reading the container. She's the line of defense over what goes into her body but she put that line of defense down, that's her fault and her fault only, not the pharmacist's. The pharmacist is a line of defense also but is secondary.

What if there were specific foods not to take with the medication or had to take the medication with only certain foods? Ignoring any unlikeliness of this, it could have been necessary for the medications yet her carelessness would have led her to taking them improperly, even if this applied to the medications she was supposed to receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball&chain
Honestly, you could have said that without attempting to make me look like an idiot by questioning whether or not I read the article.
If someone is rather clueless on something, usually it means they haven't read the information provided. That doesn't make you an idiot. Alternatively, if someone is clueless it could be because they did read the article but couldn't figure it out. That would make you an idiot. The fact you were asked the former has no implication of you being an idiot, so it's a nicer way of how you were answered by Invert despite you admitting you couldn't understand the article anyway.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
BasicFacts Offline
A Soul Already Sold
Average Joe

Name: Kamillia

Points: 9,160, Level: 14 Points: 9,160, Level: 14 Points: 9,160, Level: 14

Re: Pregnant Woman Takes Abortion Pill Due To Pharmacy Error - February 12th 2011, 01:16 AM

Haha, stupid woman.
I can't believe she was pregnant and didn't read the damn label.

Closed Thread