TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shufflebug360 Offline
Awesome gal!!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Olivia

Points: 6,529, Level: 11 Points: 6,529, Level: 11 Points: 6,529, Level: 11

Is my period normal? - February 23rd 2014, 06:23 AM

help!
I got my first period a month and two weeks ago and I got it again 7 days ago. it was heavy and normal on day 1, 2, and 3 but after the fourth day it stopped(well I thought it did) and it was just kind of spotting in the middle of the fifth day. it stopped spotting and I got rid of my "stuff" (pads). its the end of the sixth day and hey presto!! its back again (and real thick) when I was in the shower!!
why does it do that?
is it normal?
I've got school tomorrow and its compulsory to bring your swimsuit or you will get a detention and issued with a second-hand swimsuit and i cant!!
I cant use the earache excuse any more because its Sunday and an ear ache doesn't last 6 days!! and I've got a man teacher AND I've already missed swimming sports because of my stupid period!!!!!!!

Olivia

P.S. sorry for my ranting on... if you made it this far... good. if your gonna reply even better!!
thanks, I really appreciate it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount84

Edit avatar

Re: Is my period normal? - February 23rd 2014, 06:42 AM

Tampons may seem daunting, but they might be something to consider if you don;t want to tell your teacher you can't swim because of a period. Though your period might be over tomorrow. Maybe you could get your mom to write you a note? You should not go swimming without a tampon if you are on your period still.

I find most my periods are heavy for the first 2 days, medium on the 3rd, kinda goes on the 4th or 5th, then slightly medium again on the last. It cant seem to make its mind up

Everyone's periods are slightly different, and for the first few years, you might find yours are irregular. What you've described sounds normal to me.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Is my period normal? - February 23rd 2014, 03:31 PM

Hey Olivia!

What you're going through with your period seems pretty normal. As already mentioned, you got your first one not too long ago so you might be irregular. But yes, it can stop and come back sometimes, it has a mind of it's own! It may be helpful to wear a panty liner each day to freshen up or to wear them right before and after your period so you have a little extra protection.

If you can get to a store that sells feminine products, tampons might be something to try. That way you'll be able to swim! The best tampons for beginners are Lites. Tampons go by color, and the purple wrapping means that they're for a light flow. Tampax Pearl have good tampons for beginners. They key to inserting one is just to relax. If you're tense or nervous, there is a muscle down there that will clench, making it harder to insert one. Some women stand with one foot on the toilet which is also an idea that may work. First, make sure to wash your hands before unwrapping the tampon. Once you've done that, open it up. There's a grip where you put your thumb and index finger. To insert, hold the grip and push it in until your fingers touch the outside of your body. Then you can press the plunger to get rid of the applicator. This page will give you more information on tampon insertion.

It's in your best interest to wear a pad or a liner underneath (not when you're swimming) to give you more protection in case your tampon leaks. Tampons can be worn up to eight hours but should not be worn longer than that because of Toxic Shock Syndrome which comes from leaving a tampon in for too long. If you're not sure when to take your tampon out, you can lightly pull on the string. If it doesn't move and is painful then you don't need to remove it yet. If otherwise, you can remove it.

If you can't get to a store or you don't want to try tampons, can you have your mom write a note for you? You can also tell your teacher that you're having feminine issues or something along those lines. It may be embarrassing, but he has probably had sisters, a girlfriend, or a wife so he should understand.

Good luck!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 174,122, Level: 59 Points: 174,122, Level: 59 Points: 174,122, Level: 59

Re: Is my period normal? - February 23rd 2014, 06:45 PM

Everyone's period is different, and since you are still new to your period, it's definitely normal for your period to be irregular.

I know that for me personally, my period is light for two or so days, then gets heavier for two or three days, then starts to get gradually lighter for another day or two. Right now, you are still new to your period so it's possible that this is what is causing you a bit of irregularity.

If you really have no choice but to swim, you are able to wear a tampon while you are swimming. Cassie gave you some directions on how to insert a tampon.

But, if you aren't comfortable with wearing a tampon, I think that you'll probably have to speak with your teacher about this. Not everyone likes wearing tampons, and that seems like a reasonable excuse.

If you ever have any questions about your period, though, remember it's okay to speak to someone such as a doctor or school nurse, mom, aunt, or other female figure in your life. They may be able to give you some answers.

Since your period seems to stop and come back I'd definitely carry a pad with you so you're prepared, just in case.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23 Points: 27,528, Level: 23

Re: Is my period normal? - February 23rd 2014, 06:56 PM

Hey there,

This sounds like the norm for the first few months of having your period. It's not going to be regular just yet, and for some it doesn't stay regular at all. If you've got to go swimming in school tomorrow, you might want to try tampons. They're probably a little scary to think about at first but some women find them a life saver in these situations.

Other than that, you could ask your mother/guardian to write you a note for your teacher to let them know that you're on your period. You shouldn't have to go swimming when you're on your period, they can't make you do that. You teacher will know that all the girls in her classes will have their period days clash with swimming days, and for some girls, they're just not comfortable with it. Just explain this to your teacher, I'm sure they will understand.

Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#7Years #LHOperator #Skittles
Average Joe

Name: Zara

Points: 10,788, Level: 15 Points: 10,788, Level: 15 Points: 10,788, Level: 15

Re: Is my period normal? - February 24th 2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebug360 View Post
help!
I got my first period a month and two weeks ago and I got it again 7 days ago. it was heavy and normal on day 1, 2, and 3 but after the fourth day it stopped(well I thought it did) and it was just kind of spotting in the middle of the fifth day. it stopped spotting and I got rid of my "stuff" (pads). its the end of the sixth day and hey presto!! its back again (and real thick) when I was in the shower!!
why does it do that?
is it normal?
I've got school tomorrow and its compulsory to bring your swimsuit or you will get a detention and issued with a second-hand swimsuit and i cant!!
I cant use the earache excuse any more because its Sunday and an ear ache doesn't last 6 days!! and I've got a man teacher AND I've already missed swimming sports because of my stupid period!!!!!!!

Olivia

P.S. sorry for my ranting on... if you made it this far... good. if your gonna reply even better!!
thanks, I really appreciate it!
I understand that you're confused. Well I got my first period when I was 14. I'm now 17. When you first start, it can be irregular. I remember one of my periods being like this. It may take a few years for it to get regular. Trust me, I'm just getting there (due to being on the pill) So maybe you can see your doctor (Ask for a female one - I unfortunately had a male) and he got me sorted on the pill. I have to go back for a third time to change. It may take a time to find the right pill for your period, but they will become regular in a few years, or maybe with the help of the pill. Hope I helped

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!
Closed Thread