TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Help please when you have time. Thank you. - March 4th 2021, 08:32 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I think my older sister is pregnant and not telling anymore. She used to wear tight outfits , now baggy clothes, she cries all the time , even when my parents and myself ask how school was. She's in the bathroom for hour's, eats so much more, put on weight in her stomach and doesn't drink coffee anymore. I'm wondering how to tell my parents about this?[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Help please when you have time. Thank you. - March 4th 2021, 08:57 PM

Rather than telling your parents, have you actually considered what she wants? From what you've described, it sounds like she must be terribly upset and/or lonely. Being pregnant can be an exceptionally scary experience. She's literally going to be bringing a human being into this world and may not even know what to do or how to do it.

The last thing she needs right now is for you to speak to your parents without discussing the matter with her first.

Talk to your sister and be gentle with her. Explain all your observations to her and let her know she can place her trust in you (and make sure she genuinely can) with whatever she has to say. She may just need somebody to cuddle her and listen to her cry it all out without saying a word. Silence is worth far more to a person than you may realise. Be someone she can come to when she has a problem, not someone she runs away from in fear you'll go telling others about.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Help please when you have time. Thank you. - March 4th 2021, 09:29 PM

Hey,

I think your concern for your sister comes from the right place but I agree with Sarah in that whatever she has going on is obviously something she is still coming to terms with herself. I agree as well that dicussing things with her first would be best. The behaviours you have said could indicate pregnancy, but they could also indicate many other things too. It's possible that she might be upset for other reasons. Maybe school is especially tough for her right now, and the eating is a side effect of that. There are many possible explanations, and pregnancy is only one of them.

Instead of going to your parents, I would speak with her. Perhaps let her know that you've noticed she seems unhappy and you want her to know you are there if she'd like to talk. It might be nice for her to feel she can speak freely, without judgement or fear of it going further. This in itself might really help her to seem less upset, and hopefully it will give her a future option for when she's not so good.

If pregnancy is the issue, or if it is something else entirely, it's good to respect her decisions to tell other people when and if she is ready to do so. I know your conflict comes from a good place, but she might just need someone on her side.

I hope this helps a bit and that your sister is doing okay.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Help please when you have time. Thank you. - March 7th 2021, 05:11 AM

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out. I completely agree with Sarah and Hollie.

We don't know for sure what she's going through until she tells you. The best way to go about this is to have an open conversation with her. Share your concerns with her and find out what's going on. It might be that she is yet to get anything confirmed about her pregnancy status. You both need to talk before you decide on what to do next.

But for now, it would be good if you could speak with her and find out what might've happened to her. It is clear that she is going through a tough time. She will definitely appreciate the care and concern you show her

If you or your sister have any concerns or doubts about what to do, feel free to PM me!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread