TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AliasPseudonym Offline
AliasPseudonym
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alias

Points: 2,354, Level: 7 Points: 2,354, Level: 7 Points: 2,354, Level: 7

Coming out to my dad - April 11th 2020, 01:36 AM

I’m bisexual and pretty much everyone knows. I told my mom a few years ago (it went good, I guess. Her job is a teacher so she isn’t homophobic or anything) and I’m ready to tell my dad now. I’m not very nervous, i know he’d take it well, but I don’t think he’d know how to react. ( he Grew up in a conservative household.)
What I’m looking for is ideas on how to come out to him. I can’t just outright tell him, I seize up and get scared (stage fright, I guess.) so any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. 😊
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Coming out to my dad - April 11th 2020, 02:47 AM

Hi,

It's great that you think your dad will take it well! That is definitely a good start.

One way to come out is through a letter that you either hand to him or leave where he can see it. I do that sometimes when I am trying to tell someone something difficult. That way, everything I want to say is already said without interruptions or nerves getting in the way. So, it might start out with saying that you are bisexual and you would really appreciate his support. If you don't think he will know what bisexual is, it could help to explain it. If you are open to receiving questions from him, tell him in the letter that you're willing to do so (or that you're not comfortable with it). An alternative to a physical letter could be an email or text message.

If you'd rather tell him verbally, maybe you can write an outline of what you would say to him so you have something to read off of and don't have to think of all the points in the moment?

Do you think your mom would help you come out to him somehow or have suggestions, since she knows what his personality is like?

Good luck!!
Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Coming out to my dad - April 11th 2020, 05:53 AM

Hi there!

First of all, I would like to say that's great to hear that your Mum is so supportive of you and that you would like to now tell your Dad.

Dez actually took the words right out of my Mum. Writing a letter or writing down what you would like to tell your Dad and practising what you're going to say might be helpful. Your Mum might be able to help you with what to say and be a supportive person for you.

If you ever need anything, I'm here to talk and good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AliasPseudonym Offline
AliasPseudonym
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alias

Points: 2,354, Level: 7 Points: 2,354, Level: 7 Points: 2,354, Level: 7

Re: Coming out to my dad - April 11th 2020, 04:45 PM

Thank you guys, so much! Both of your ideas really inspired me.
I think my mom would *probably* help me, if I asked... but I’m not sure, so I think ill go with Dez’s suggestion for writing a letter. To be honest, I feel so supported just by the simple act of your replies. I may not know you, but thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread