TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Becky

Points: 8,536, Level: 13 Points: 8,536, Level: 13 Points: 8,536, Level: 13

Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 04:53 PM

My brothers believing his girlfriend who he hardly knows over me, I can't lie and he knows that but he still believes her. We are in foster care because of our parents custody battle.

So my question. Would you ever put your girlfriend/boyfriend before your family? Would you believe them even if you had proof that they were lying?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 04:57 PM

I personally would trust the person who has proof that they're not lying. I'm a huge family girl and I honestly always think that family comes first. However, if they're in the wrong, I'm not going to pretend like they're right for their benefit. Everyone has to learn their lessons at one point or another.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 05:03 PM

I have the proof, but he still doesn't believe me. The lies she's making up about me, I have the proof of me being at a meeting with a social worker or out with my friends.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 06:09 PM

Becky, more detail about the incident would be helpful.

Typically, blood is thicker than water.... unless the water is rushing by pretty rapidly. Which typically happens to teenage guys when they have a girl friend.

Don't take it personally, she offers something new and exciting, so it might affect his judgment. You might want to talk not much about this particular incident, but perhaps more to the point, the importance you place on his relationship with you, which must be particularly important if you're both in foster care and more dependent on each other.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 06:18 PM

A little more information on the incident would be helpful to us, so we could give you better advice for what's going on.

As for your question, would I ever put my boyfriend before my family. Honestly, yes, depending on the situation. For example, a few months ago my mom had to make a visit to our family doctor, and wanted me to go with her. It was nothing big, just a check-up. I would've just been sitting in the waiting room doing nothing. However, at that time my boyfriend was in the hospital in very bad condition in the intensive care unit. I stayed with him instead of accompanying my mother, not because I care about him more than my mother, but because he needed me a lot more than my mother did.

So really, it depends on the situation at hand. In some cases I may put my boyfriend first, in others my family. It's not really a yes or no question. There are too many different circumstances to answer with a solid yes or no.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 06:41 PM

Well, I would think that family knows you best, but sometimes it really isn't. I agree that everything depends. We usually look at family as those to attack us, but really they are ones to protect us and they don't want to see us get hurt. For example, I put my ex boyfriend in front of EVERYONE including family when we were together. I felt as if I was struck with cupid with him. Nothing else mattered. I was wrong. I wasn't the same person. I lost touch with family and assumed my family was against me. The weight of the situation really exploits the real answer here, in my opinion. This is really an issue on who your partner is really like as a person and towards the family and you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Points: 45,116, Level: 30 Points: 45,116, Level: 30 Points: 45,116, Level: 30

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 07:54 PM

I think it really depends. Personally, I would probably trust my family over a boyfriend. They don't get involved in my relationship business, even when my last relationship went haywire. So if they're interfering, obviously something is up.

In your situation where you actually have proof, I don't think that's right of him to trust his girlfriend over you. How old is he?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BethGoesRawr Offline
JustBethReally
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Points: 15,798, Level: 18 Points: 15,798, Level: 18 Points: 15,798, Level: 18

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 1st 2012, 08:17 PM

Yes. I put bf/gf before family all the time even if its just a 2 day relationship.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BLove2Love Offline
Sympathizing Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12 Points: 7,740, Level: 12

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 2nd 2012, 01:30 AM

Family comes first, no matter what, unless they are doing something morally wrong, of course. Your family is your family no matter what. A boyfriend or girlfriend might only be there for a short time.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
littlejoker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 2nd 2012, 10:17 AM

Basically his girlfriend has said to him that she saw me in the park with people who are dangerous in a sense, like they drink and do drugs and stuff and are like a gang, but at the time she's saying I was there, I had a meeting with my social worker and after that I went to my friends house and his parents were there so they have confirmed I was there and even my social worker can as he dropped me off there. Yet Colton still believes her, she's saying I'm currently hooking up with a 21 year old, I'm doing drugs and I'm drinking and smoking, she's saying I'm shoplifting with this gang but I haven't ever come in contact with these people except for in school. She's tearing our relationship apart, he's known me for 13 nearly 14 years and known this girl for a few months at the most.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
The.adorable.1 Offline
I'm cool...i think
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Scratch

Points: 11,942, Level: 15 Points: 11,942, Level: 15 Points: 11,942, Level: 15

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 2nd 2012, 10:52 AM

Family first

It takes more courage to suffer than to die.

I'm here for you, no madder what happens. PM/email me anytime: onlymclarsfan@gmail.com

WE DECIDED MY BEST INTEREST, how can you know, how can you say what MY BEST INTEREST is? What are you trying to say, I'm crazy? Well, I went to your schools, I went to your Churches, I went to your institutional learning facility, so how can you say that I'M crazy? (Suicidal Tendencies)

<3 <3 <3
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
HaleighDrew Offline
I cut myself to pieces
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Haleigh

Points: 7,579, Level: 12 Points: 7,579, Level: 12 Points: 7,579, Level: 12

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 2nd 2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejoker View Post
Basically his girlfriend has said to him that she saw me in the park with people who are dangerous in a sense, like they drink and do drugs and stuff and are like a gang, but at the time she's saying I was there, I had a meeting with my social worker and after that I went to my friends house and his parents were there so they have confirmed I was there and even my social worker can as he dropped me off there. Yet Colton still believes her, she's saying I'm currently hooking up with a 21 year old, I'm doing drugs and I'm drinking and smoking, she's saying I'm shoplifting with this gang but I haven't ever come in contact with these people except for in school. She's tearing our relationship apart, he's known me for 13 nearly 14 years and known this girl for a few months at the most.
I'm sorry to hear this Becky,
I have to agree with one of the other members that boys/men tend to want to believe their girlfriends, (espicially if they're hot).
Unfortunately yourbrother has been believing her over you which is a little dumb in my perspective because you have the proof to back it up, but right now he's most likely stuck in the 'gaga' phase of the relationship and is 'under her spell'. I hope your brother smartens up and looks at the facts!

Best,
Haleigh

Save your heart for someone that's worth dying for
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13 Points: 8,187, Level: 13

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 2nd 2012, 12:36 PM

You know, sometimes when somebody is so much in love with someone, they won't think logically and even refuse to think logically. He would rather believe the lies than loosing her for now because she has something that he wants right now -- love. He's just being stupid by not seeing the fact and just believe her blindly. Cheers up Becky, once he realizes that everything he wants to believe is wrong, he'll see things differently.

Answering your questions, when I was with my ex boyfriends, I never put them before my family because back then I always thought that they might not be the one for me and why should I sacrificed my family for relationships that I wasn't even sure will last to marriage. And yes, I've been cheated on and I broke up with them.

But things were different when I met my fiance. I knew that our relationship will last and he's a great guy and I know that there are things that are worth doing for him. And in difficult situations, somehow rather than sacrificing either my family or him, I always try to find solutions that will work best for both sides.
And even if one day I catch him lying to me or anything, I think I will investigate and find out what has happened until he needs to lie to me. People always have reasons why they lie, it's just whether it's for good cause or bad cause. Then from there I can see whether he's still trustworthy or not.

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life. - Herbert Otto

Last edited by Flavalicious; April 2nd 2012 at 12:44 PM.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,418, Level: 12 Points: 7,418, Level: 12 Points: 7,418, Level: 12

Re: Would you ever put a girlfriend/boyfriend before family? - April 2nd 2012, 07:13 PM

In a life or death situation or anything along those lines, it would be family over everything and everyone. But if it's just a small situation, such as who is lying, I would chose whoever had the best evidence and whatnot.
Closed Thread