TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Danni

Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14

Depression? - December 24th 2016, 12:24 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I am sad, more then I would like to be, but still don't know if it is depression.

I have had a lot of things happen in the last few years, like my dad having over 10 surgeries and a few of my friends being suicidal. I always put everyone else's problems over mine, but recently have been sad a lot of the time and have had little to no energy.

I know that it is hard to tell from just a few sentences if someone is depressed or not, but I would like all the help I could get
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lil ly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,752, Level: 9 Points: 3,752, Level: 9 Points: 3,752, Level: 9

Re: Depression? - December 24th 2016, 01:20 AM

From the thing about little energy, that sounds similar to depression (at least to my knowledge). Sadness can be caused by different things, but some indicators of depression are lack on enthusiasm for things you used to love, low motivation, low energy, and suicidal thoughts. I'd encourage you to look at more lists of symptoms and see if you agree with them hope you feel better
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Depression? - December 24th 2016, 03:20 AM

Hi Danielle,

I'm sorry that you're feeling that way. I definitely understand what it's like. For many years I would always put my friends and families needs before mine. After a little while my health started declining. I just pushed my health aside thinking that I would be fine.

Not too long after I started getting really depressed and angry. I was angry because I had all these problems that I kept bottling up to the point where I couldn't bottle anymore up. When that happens, one small thing can make that bottle blow open, and trust me, it's not nice. Most of the time, when my bottle blows open I'm near either my family or friends, so they know not to take it to heart, however, one of my friends blew to one of her friends so badly that her friend ended up passing away.

Point of my story is, please stop putting your problems aside. i know you want to help them, trust me I do. But there's only so much you can take on. Whenever you need to talk to someone though we are here for you.

It sounds like you could possible have depression, so I highly recommend going to see your family doctor and let them know how you're feeling. You're not going to get better by continuing down the path like you currently are. Again, trust me as well on this. My mental health, from holding everything, got so bad that I was rushed to the hospital from my college and had to sit in the psyke ward for 10 hours.

I hope you listen to my past and are able to change the way you are thinking. It drains both your mental health as well as your physical.

Stay Strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Depression? - December 24th 2016, 09:23 PM

Hi

Thank you for reaching out to us here! I hope we can help in some way. You are not alone.

Truth is you can not help anyone if you're not well yourself. You have to put yourself as priority and I know this can be a really hard thing to do from my own experience but it will be something worth doing. And it does not mean not being there for the people you love and care about but being there for them to a certain point where it doesn't have a negative affect on your own health and well-being.

I can not say whether you are depressed or not. It sounds like you have had a lot to manage and cope with so it is understandable you feel sad but if it continues or gets worse (for example, you feel a risk to yourself from self harm or suicide) then it might be worth talking to people around you. You can talk to people like friends and family or even see someone at the school/college/university you are at such as a tutor or counsellor or even see your doctor. All these people can help and support you and they all care about you but they can only do so if they know what is going on and the emotions you are feeling.

I know feeling so sad must be very hard but you can get through this. Remember nothing lasts forever and this too shall pass. And we're here for you for as long as you need us and so are other people such as the ones I mentioned above, to help you through. Don't be alone and let people in so they can help you.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Depression? - January 1st 2017, 10:39 AM

Hey, Danielle!

You say you are used to putting everyone else's problems first, and that's why I'm really glad you decided to take initiative and reach out for your own feelings; that's a really good step and I'm proud of you.

That must be incredibly hard to see your dad go through 10 surgeries wondering if he comes out of it okay each time. Is it okay if I ask why your dad is needing so many surgeries? I completely understand if that's personal and you don't wish to say - no pressure, okay? I just want to let you know that you can share your feelings and experiences regarding your dad's health issues.

When you're scared and worried for people you love, it can make it harder to keep it all to yourself. Which brings me to my next question; have you told any trusted adults, or encouraged your friends to reach out for help? Being worried for both your dad and your friends regarding serious issues, it must weight heavily on your heart especially since you seem like such a caring person. That's why I think it's a good idea that you offer your kindness to your friends along with encouraging them to take their own steps towards help such as talking to a trusted adult and seeking help. Just know there's only so much you can do, alright?

You are right that it can be difficult to say if someone has depression especially since we aren't professionals. At this point in your life, it could be depression or it could be the combination of all the stressful events occurring in your life such as your dad's surgeries, your friends battling suicidal thoughts/urges, and just the normal mood fluctuations that can come with those fun teenage hormones. No matter what is causing is, depression or just life events, whatever you do, just do your best to refrain from bottling it up.

Focusing on others is loving and caring for others, but you have to make sure you find a balance and still focus on yourself too. That is very important. When you're feeling sad, is there anyone around whom you can talk to about how you have been feeling lately? Any adult you trust could be great support, and there's always TeenHelp! You are welcome to talk to us, and you can blog about your day when you have rough or good days. Blogging and journaling are similar and both healthy. Do you have markers/pencils and a coloring book? Coloring can be soothing and stress relieving. Just try to treat yourself with positive attention through the bad times and never lose sight of the fact that you won't always feel the way you do in that moment.

Message me if you need, Danielle. My inbox is always open! I hope you feel better and that your dad is recovering well and is doing better and better with each day. The same to your friends as well. Let them know they're cared for and matter, just like you do, Danielle.
Closed Thread