TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Prussia

Points: 7,237, Level: 12 Points: 7,237, Level: 12 Points: 7,237, Level: 12

Unhappy I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 23rd 2012, 03:27 AM

I started work at a Kroger grocery store a week ago as a cart-pusher and overall assistant and it hasn't been fun. My co-workers are lifeless and mean, my managers are over-critical and make me feel like dirt, and the people who shop are rude.

I've got kind of a sob-story going on here. I'm feeling like I need some advice really badly here. I have no idea what to do. This is my first job and I don't want to screw things up, but at the same time I don't want to work in a place where its going to be as bad as its been every day.

Today was probably the worst day ever. I got my paycheck and they forgot to add an additional 8 hours I had worked. I told the manager in charge of my payroll and refused to change anything. That left me with $23.17 for the week and I can't afford to pay my bills.

Also, a couple of 13 year old boys were calling me fat and stupid as I pushed carts while they sat in their dad's car. I don't take things to heart, but these punks were not making my day great. Because of store policy, I'm not allowed to do anything and there was no way I could alert my managers at the time.

Like I would want to tell my managers anyway. Even though I am a new hire and I am technically dirt because I do the crap job for little pay, my managers have a way of rubbing it in and making me feel especially inferior. You know that feeling when you're treated like a little child and adults baby talk you through things and make sure you know exactly what youre doing? I got a lecture for having complaints against me and I had to go through all the basics again. I admit, I was slacking a bit, but the things I was slacking off were not related to what I was being accused of.

A few of my co-workers just hate me or something. They're all guys ages 17-20 and one girl about 23. Maybe its because I'm fat? Or nice? Or quiet? Or I like anime? Or because I'm new? Anyway, they all like to place blame on me for not doing things or doing things that I shouldn't, or point out every little thing I'm doing wrong. I got in trouble with my managers "for spending too much time inside" and "not pushing your weight in carts". (another fat joke. I hate my life). All the complaints were made by these co-workers.

One of my co-workers also got a talking to because I told my manager he was heckling me. When he came out of the managers office, he starting bragging to me how the manager said he was a "stellar worker who goes above and beyond expectations". He's got no personality, no work ethic, and he's one of those people who's always right no matter what.

It's been a week and I'm ready to quit. On my way home, I cried and I don't do that much either. Help me please?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
anonymouswhale Offline
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15

Re: I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 23rd 2012, 04:50 PM

Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing that at work. Is Kroger's a chain? I wonder if any of the other stores are better...or maybe another grocery store in your town? Or a pharmacy?

The unfortunate thing about jobs is that sometimes we hate what we do, but at the end of the day, we come home with a paycheck. It's illegal for you to be paid less than what you earned...your boss could get in serious trouble for that.

Bullies tend to be fueled by your feelings...if you look upset or react to them, it tends to egg them on. Nobody should have to leave work crying, and no amount of money should be worth more than your happiness.

I guess for now you could try to ignore them? You got hired for a reason; you've got qualities that the company needs. Remember that. If things don't get any better, then don't ever hesitate to quit the job.

Good luck.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16

Re: I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 23rd 2012, 06:20 PM

Couple things I'd like to know before I really respond to this - How old are you? What kind of bills are we talking about? Where (roughly) do you live?

Obviously the kind of answer I would give a 16 year old living at home is different from the answer I would give a 20 year old living on her own, so I'm kind of hesitant to say much more... I guess all I can say on the little you mentioned is this: Is it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY that you work at this grocery store? Because bad coworkers are shit to deal with but you can if you have to. Cheating you out of money is something else entirely.. illegal, for a start, and likely to continue based on what you've said about your bosses. Although I'm kind of curious - how did you approach it with the payroll manager? Nicely or with a confrontational attitude?? I have to say, and I'm sorry for this as it may just be the internet and its typical lack of tone, but you do come across as someone who might not bring up an issue like that very tactfully? I don't want to blame this on you as it's obvious that there's a lot going on here, but sometimes attitude can make a big difference and you did say that you were slacking in other areas.. (and I understand that! it's very hard to be motivated when you're not happy at work or with work).

Anyway, I wish you luck regardless... I really hope things work out for you.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 23rd 2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Couple things I'd like to know before I really respond to this - How old are you? What kind of bills are we talking about? Where (roughly) do you live?

Although I'm kind of curious - how did you approach it with the payroll manager? Nicely or with a confrontational attitude?? I have to say, and I'm sorry for this as it may just be the internet and its typical lack of tone, but you do come across as someone who might not bring up an issue like that very tactfully?
Thanks for replying. I'm 17 and I rent a room near Boise, Idaho. I pay a phone bill, internet, and rent which runs about $400 a month because I live rather cheap. I have 2 jobs and this one at Fred Meyer (Kroger) is new.

I'm not a confrontational person. Its not in my nature to bring attention to myself or get myself in trouble. Maybe its because of that I'm not 'tactful'. I don't like talking with people, especially when there's a chance I could get written up, fired, or there would be a large dispute; even when I know I'm being cheated and I should stand up for myself.

Anyway, thanks for replying.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 23rd 2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenitySmile View Post
Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing that at work. Is Kroger's a chain? I wonder if any of the other stores are better...or maybe another grocery store in your town? Or a pharmacy?

The unfortunate thing about jobs is that sometimes we hate what we do, but at the end of the day, we come home with a paycheck. It's illegal for you to be paid less than what you earned...your boss could get in serious trouble for that.

Bullies tend to be fueled by your feelings...if you look upset or react to them, it tends to egg them on. Nobody should have to leave work crying, and no amount of money should be worth more than your happiness.

I guess for now you could try to ignore them? You got hired for a reason; you've got qualities that the company needs. Remember that. If things don't get any better, then don't ever hesitate to quit the job.

Good luck.

Thank you for your kind words. Its nice to hear a little sympathy after all this.

Unfortunately where I live there aren't many other jobs that a 17 year old in college can do and I was willing to do any kind of work in order to get a paycheck. If I want money, I have to stay with this store basically.

With the bullies, thank you for the advice. I do tend to show my feelings a little more than I should, which as you put it, eggs them on. I'll try to hide things a little more and maybe I'll be heckled less.

I'm starting to job search again, just in case things don't get any better. I guess that's life and I need to grow up, but working at a job you hate is something no one wants to do and I would rather be happy and poor than unhappy and have a dollar in my pocket.

Thanks so much for everything
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16 Points: 12,438, Level: 16

Re: I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 24th 2012, 01:21 PM

Okay, that really helps. Hey, first of all, congrats for being a self-sufficient 17 year old! That's really hard, and I admire you for being so responsible - I certainly wasn't capable of that at 17.

I guess you have two main options:

1) Stay with Krogers. Document your hours personally so you have something to support your claim if they try to cheat you again. Continue to look for work elsewhere. (I think that's the most important part.) And take care of yourself outside of work - self care can go a long way towards making you feel better after crappy work and towards insulating you and giving you more confidence for the next round.

2) Leave Krogers. What's your other job? i.e. what kind of experience do you have or can you spin yourself as having? No, there aren't a lot of jobs open to 17 year olds, but you found one and even though it's (ridiculously hard) work to find another, you probably would... the question is being able to pay bills in between. If it's absolutely impossible by any means, you're left with number 1, but I would exert all my energy into trying to find another job ASAP.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15 Points: 11,159, Level: 15

Re: I suck at my job and I'm harrassed at work. Help? - July 24th 2012, 03:11 PM

Where I come from, what they are doing constitutes as workplace bullying and a lack in the employers responsibility of a duty of care for its employees. As an employee, you have rights, and as the employer, they have responsibilities.
Perhaps in your state too, it is a criminal offence, and if you are to suffer any mental instabilities as a result of your experience there I would recommend, seeking legal advice.
Often these actions by your employer can carry swift and harsh penalties, and leave you with compensation.
Closed Thread