TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The_Princess Offline
Average Joe

Name: Tristyn

Points: 9,846, Level: 14 Points: 9,846, Level: 14 Points: 9,846, Level: 14

Question Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 12:08 AM

Well, I'm not sure if this counts as a real addiction, but on a usual basis I have at least one Mountain Dew per day. This started out as having it when going out to restaurants or on special occasions. (Which was a big step up, because my mother never let me have pop) But I thought Mountain Dew was so good that I started to drink it on a regular basis. At one point, when I didn't have any money, I started to steal from my parents in order to buy it. Does anyone have any help and/or advice? Thanks!

If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.
~St. Clement of Alexandra
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 12:16 AM

Try to think of it in a health perspective - You're destroying the enamel in your teeth by drinking that much soda. It's very unhealthy, and once you ruin your teeth, there's no going back. Your only option will be to have dental surgery, which I'm sure can be incredibly expensive.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17 Points: 15,021, Level: 17

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 02:38 AM

Just to add what the person above said, Soda is really bad for your kidneys. You can develop kidney stones, and kidney failure if you drink soda like that.

Try to drink ice water. If you start drinking healthier beverages, such as water, milk, juice, it will take your mind off soda.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 08:33 AM

Wow.
Is one bottle of Mountain Dew a day REALLY that bad? I mean, come on. Developing kidney stones from one bottle of mountain dew? I know people that have been drinking 3-4 cans of energy drinks a day for years that have nothing wrong with them. At least she is limiting her consumption to one per day.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16 Points: 13,394, Level: 16

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 10:45 AM

There might be something to this. My roommate drinks so many diet mountain dews- it is ridiculous.

One per day isn't that bad. I mean, it isn't a healthy drink, but I highly doubt you'll get kidney stones or have teeth problems from it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Points: 11,861, Level: 15 Points: 11,861, Level: 15 Points: 11,861, Level: 15

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post
Wow.
Is one bottle of Mountain Dew a day REALLY that bad? I mean, come on. Developing kidney stones from one bottle of mountain dew? I know people that have been drinking 3-4 cans of energy drinks a day for years that have nothing wrong with them. At least she is limiting her consumption to one per day.
well it depends what size bottle we're talking about I guess... Composure's right, it's not likely to cause a sever illness like alcohol addiction or smoking might, but as others mentioned, it's not exactly good for your health either. If you keep it up, your teeth will most likely show signs of erosion and sensitivity. If you don't already, try carrying a bottle of water or juice around with you and taking sips throught the day...it might lessen your desire to buy mountain dew. Try cutting it out of your lifestyle slowly...limit yourself to 5 a week, then 4 then 3 and so on. Good luck!

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 01:08 PM

Yes, you can ruin your teeth from it. I don't even have one a day, and the enamel in my teeth is soft from drinking soda.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 28th 2011, 07:46 PM

One a day for an extended period of time can add up and cause damage to your teeth. Maybe try and start straying away by having one every other day and then keep drinking it less often if it is concerning you. Or find a substitute of something that is healthier.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Points: 11,371, Level: 15 Points: 11,371, Level: 15 Points: 11,371, Level: 15

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 29th 2011, 01:23 AM

Maybe, and I'm not doctor so I could be totally wrong, but maybe it's more of a caffeine addiction than a mountain dew one?

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 29th 2011, 03:32 AM

I'm guessing the caffeine is making a difference, since Mountain Dew is a high caffeinated soda and you may be hooked to the caffeine. You could try switching to coffee or tea.
And said comments are right. Soda is terrible for you. I doubt kidney stones will be something in the close future, but soda is horrible for your teeth, my teeth have a soft enamel because of my energy drink/Dr. Pepper addiction. Hence, I now mainly drink coffee.
Mountain Dew is not physically addictive, so I wouldn't worry about it from an addict's point of view, however, you have stolen from your parents. I would recommend switching to a lower sugar, caffeinated alternative, and go from there.
PM me if you need any more advice.

something burning?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Points: 13,395, Level: 16 Points: 13,395, Level: 16 Points: 13,395, Level: 16

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 29th 2011, 04:39 AM

hey;
my stepdad has a mountain dew addiction, and it's made it harder on our family because he wastes his money on it..he also has three missing teeth from the stuff, stomach issues, caffeine-related problems, overall irritability and he's completely hooked on the stuff.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 29th 2011, 04:13 PM

All of the sugar and sodium in soda like mountain dew is terrible for you. I'm hooked to coke and mountain dew, and I can honestly say that if I drank water every day instead, I could easily drop [edit] just from the soda.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Last edited by *Jen*; July 31st 2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
The_Princess Offline
Average Joe

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 30th 2011, 01:59 AM

I see what you mean guys. I know the soda's awful and it's definitely putting weight on me. Another problem is I think it's habitual. Sometimes I don't even feel a pull to drink the stuff, but I go and get one anyway because it's what I normally do. Maybe I will try different types of coffee.......

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 30th 2011, 02:08 AM

While Soda is bad for you, I really don't think one can a day is really that horrible. Unless you're having repercussions if you don't drink it, I wouldn't really call it an Addiction. I mean, my boyfriend goes through a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew a day, if not more. I drink soda all the time, have been for years upon years, and my doctor said I'm perfectly fine. I think if you just live healthy, you'll be fine ._. Brush your teeth, eat good food, maybe even work out a bit and you'll survive

If you really feel the urge to stop though, just try slowing it down to every other day and so forth. Reserve it for special occasions.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 30th 2011, 06:59 AM

I agree with everyone who's voiced the opinion of "is it REALLY that bad?" Sure, it's healthier to limit your soda intake, and sure, it's healthiest to cut it out completely, and as someone else on here mentioned, I'd probably be one to drop some weight simply by cutting out all the soda I drink as well. But I'm deemed quite healthy by my doctor and my dentist and the amount of soda I drink can be outrageous at times (Mountain Dew being a personal favourite)! Throughout high school, I drank quite a number of energy drinks as well. The one time I overdid it I had horrible stomach pains that lasted over a course of 2-3 days, but that was really overdoing it. I still drink a lot and like I said, am quite healthy.

I agree with Marissa's post all around, really, from what you can do to help keep yourself healthy to if you really decide to limit it/cut it out.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 17,804, Level: 19 Points: 17,804, Level: 19 Points: 17,804, Level: 19

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 30th 2011, 09:27 AM

I don't know if it's necessarily a caffeine addiction. Whenever I fiend for a soft drink, a caffeine free diet Pepsi seems to do the trick.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 30th 2011, 10:49 PM

Just a question, I realized that you said "one a day." Does this mean a can? Because that's what I assumed, having mostly canned sodas in my house. But I suppose it could also be a regular bottle, or a 2-liter bottle like my boyfriend drinks. Personally, I don't think a 2-liter bottle of soda should be drunken in one day, but an 8oz bottle or can is really not going to kill you

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - July 31st 2011, 09:00 AM

Take calcium tablets, soda leeches calcium out of your system.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
The_Princess Offline
Average Joe

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - August 1st 2011, 04:02 AM

I never drink cans. Just a normal bottle. Although, it doesn't help that whenever I go anywhere with my god-dad, he says: "I support the addiction, why not get a 2 liter?" He's so cool. I'm trying to limit, because recently I've got some annoying stomachaches while drinking just one. I mean, I used to get em a lot, because I would slam bottle after bottle. So it was understandable. Maybe I just need to give my stomach a break! I also heard that soda can eat away at the stomach lining. Anyone got opinions on that???

(#20 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - August 1st 2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Princess View Post
I never drink cans. Just a normal bottle. Although, it doesn't help that whenever I go anywhere with my god-dad, he says: "I support the addiction, why not get a 2 liter?" He's so cool. I'm trying to limit, because recently I've got some annoying stomachaches while drinking just one. I mean, I used to get em a lot, because I would slam bottle after bottle. So it was understandable. Maybe I just need to give my stomach a break! I also heard that soda can eat away at the stomach lining. Anyone got opinions on that???
I once killed my stomach with two 32-oz fountain drinks, an entire pack of cans, and a couple energy drinks (the soda of choice being MD). I was seriously dysfunctional/unable to tolerant anything with caffeine/sugar for some time after that. I'm fine now and can handle back to a normal, but not overbearing, amount, so not sure.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 20,459, Level: 20 Points: 20,459, Level: 20 Points: 20,459, Level: 20

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - August 1st 2011, 08:24 AM

Depending on how much you drink depends on your health in the future. Mountain Dew is high in caffiene and sugars, one can/small bottle every day could still effect your body in the long run.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: anathema

Points: 16,504, Level: 18 Points: 16,504, Level: 18 Points: 16,504, Level: 18

Re: Mtn. Dew Addiction? - August 1st 2011, 07:20 PM

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is true or not, but what I'm thinking is: it's like anything else. If I take ONE cigarette in my entire life, it's not gonna kill me. If I take ONE SHOT of alcohol in my entire life, it's not gonna kill me. If I consume a few Mountain Dews or Cokes or Root Beers a week (a cup of soda, a can, a 1 liter, etc.) it's not gonna kill me. However if I continuously smoke or consume alcohol, I could become addicted/suffer long term side effects. I think it would be the same with Mountain Dew. I know it's not poisonous or toxic; it's just soda, I know. But if I smoke one cigarette a day for twenty years, I'm gonna get some sort of health problem. If you consume one Mountain Dew can/1 liter/cup a day for twenty years, you're gonna get some sort of health problem.
Like I said, I'm probably WAY off, but that's just what I think.

Closed Thread