TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
broken Offline
larawood.deviantart.com
Not a n00b

Name: Rissa

Points: 10,584, Level: 15 Points: 10,584, Level: 15 Points: 10,584, Level: 15

im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 19th 2009, 11:57 PM

My guy is looking for a place for us, he has a good stable job and can support me and baby. Hes gonna get me a ring, we're gonna get married, especially since I do not like abortion, and i dont think i could ever give baby away. My guy feels the same way. I'm keeping baby, getting married, and for a girl in my position, I've generally got it good. Except i dont know how to tell my mom and dad.

I've never been good socially and i cant argue worth anything, and our religion says sex before marriage is wrong. (mom made the same mistake with dad, so it cant be too horrible...) But seriously. I'm scared over this whole thing. Its life changing and I'm not even sure im gonna be a good mommy... (but im gonna try, gosh darnit!)

Do you know any tips on what to say? Advise? Stories of how you told your parents? What did you do when you were in my position? What would you do if you were in my position? I'm just... clueless. Help is welcome! ANYTHING you have to share will help!

-Lissie

~Rissa~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 12:18 AM

Hey there.
There's really no easy way to tell your parents that you're pregnant. You pretty much just have to come out and say it. But once you do, you'll feel so much better that they know. I would suggest that telling them face to face would really be the best way, but some people simply can't do that. If that's the case, maybe write them a letter so you can get out everything that you have to say without being interrupted.

If you haven't already started taking prenatal vitamins, start as soon as possible. They're very important for the baby's growth and development. I got mine for free at the local health department/planned parenthood, so try to check into that.

Definitely open a savings account strictly for the baby and keep adding money to it little by little because it's going to take a lot of money to prepare for and eventually raise the baby.

If you don't have any kind of insurance, you should also try to apply for some as soon as possible so you can start getting prenatal care. After you tell your parents, maybe they could help you out with this.

Also, I just want to add that you don't HAVE to get married just because you're pregnant. There are plenty of mommies and daddies who are great parents but aren't married. However, if this is something that you're pretty much set on doing, just be sure that you're 100% sure and ready before you do it.

Other than that, just eat right, take the prenatal vitamins, get that insurance, and start seeing a doctor soon. Best of luck with your pregnancy and I hope that telling your parents goes alright for you.

If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me. =]
And good luck again.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
OurLovesSublime Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,625, Level: 15 Points: 11,625, Level: 15 Points: 11,625, Level: 15

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 01:21 AM

Chelsey is right... the best way is just to come out and say it, preferably FACE to FACE. My mom told me that she was so happy that I didn't tell her over the phone, etc. Try your best not to sound upset or cry (that was my mistake). I know you'll be nervous, but if you feel generally positive about this pregnancy I feel it's important to show it.

Trust me that they will be upset at first... that's why there is no good way to break it to them. But, they will come around eventually and love your child and want to spoil it to death At least mine did. Just don't put it off. My mom wish I had told her much earlier.

It's great that you have a plan to share with them to show that you're being responsible about this. Good luck, and keep us updated!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
asphyxiated Offline
Next stop: Land of Sueños
Average Joe

Points: 10,471, Level: 14 Points: 10,471, Level: 14 Points: 10,471, Level: 14

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 02:32 AM

I agree with the posts above me.
Try starting by saying that this is extremely hard for you, and that you want them to know that way they can give you the best possible help and support. Tell them that your scared and you need them to be there with you, because whats ahead is not going to be easy.

Chances are they are going to be upset when you first tell them, but I'm sure they'll come around. Babies are cute and no one can be angry at them

(#5 (permalink)) Old
broken Offline
larawood.deviantart.com
Not a n00b

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 02:54 AM

lol you guys rock... thank you. (if anyone else has stories or advice, i wanna hear it!) i am positive about this, but i am scared.
Ok, so I dont have prenatal vitamins, but ive been taking normal vitamins for ladies, since i dont have access to prenatal ones. Thank you so much for reminding me about a savings account! Thats really smart. Oh, and I have insurance, and once we get married (we're pretty set on it) he has insurance he can add me to.
I'll tell mom and dad soon. Probably at the end of the week. I know I'm pregnant, boobs are huge now and ive had morning sickness, but im still going to take another test just because we agreed to take two. We were going to wait till after the second test to tell our parents. I'll probably tell my mom first... Is that smart? Should I tell them at the same time?
My baby will be adorable ^-^ I'll try and post pictures when it's all over with. My parents already have three granbabies from my sisters so hopefully this wont be a disaster telling them...
Thanks guys! I will be thinking about baby all week... its a good thing schools out on Thursday or else I'd fail all my classes.

Lol, I just asked my boyfriend if we could look into a savings account and he already has one up for baby... lol

~Rissa~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken View Post
My guy is looking for a place for us, he has a good stable job and can support me and baby. Hes gonna get me a ring, we're gonna get married, especially since I do not like abortion, and i dont think i could ever give baby away. My guy feels the same way. I'm keeping baby, getting married, and for a girl in my position, I've generally got it good. Except i dont know how to tell my mom and dad.

I've never been good socially and i cant argue worth anything, and our religion says sex before marriage is wrong. (mom made the same mistake with dad, so it cant be too horrible...) But seriously. I'm scared over this whole thing. Its life changing and I'm not even sure im gonna be a good mommy... (but im gonna try, gosh darnit!)

Do you know any tips on what to say? Advise? Stories of how you told your parents? What did you do when you were in my position? What would you do if you were in my position? I'm just... clueless. Help is welcome! ANYTHING you have to share will help!

-Lissie
I just wanted to tell you I'm 110% proud of what you're doing. It takes a very mature person to do what you're doing, and I think you're making all the right choices. You're taking responsibility for your actions. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
lol you guys rock... thank you. (if anyone else has stories or advice, i wanna hear it!) i am positive about this, but i am scared.
Ok, so I dont have prenatal vitamins, but ive been taking normal vitamins for ladies, since i dont have access to prenatal ones. Thank you so much for reminding me about a savings account! Thats really smart. Oh, and I have insurance, and once we get married (we're pretty set on it) he has insurance he can add me to.
I'll tell mom and dad soon. Probably at the end of the week. I know I'm pregnant, boobs are huge now and ive had morning sickness, but im still going to take another test just because we agreed to take two. We were going to wait till after the second test to tell our parents. I'll probably tell my mom first... Is that smart? Should I tell them at the same time?
My baby will be adorable ^-^ I'll try and post pictures when it's all over with. My parents already have three granbabies from my sisters so hopefully this wont be a disaster telling them...
Thanks guys! I will be thinking about baby all week... its a good thing schools out on Thursday or else I'd fail all my classes.

Lol, I just asked my boyfriend if we could look into a savings account and he already has one up for baby... lol
You really do need to get some prenatal vitamins because they have the specific amounts of folic acid, iron, etc. that the baby needs to develop well. Folic acid is especially important and prenatal vitamins are the very best for it. Folic acid taken early in pregnancy can help prevent neural tube defects.

Take a look at this link, maybe.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnan...olic_acid.html

(#8 (permalink)) Old
broken Offline
larawood.deviantart.com
Not a n00b

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 03:31 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! It helps.
Oh I know about that stuff, ive been through three pregnancies (my sisters, not mine) so I know, but I just dont have access to it yet. My mom knows a really good place to get it, and I imagine she'll get it for me once I tell her. Thanks all again, and if anyone else has something to say, I'm listening.

~Rissa~

(#9 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Points: 14,744, Level: 17 Points: 14,744, Level: 17 Points: 14,744, Level: 17

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 03:50 AM

We bought my mom a diamond necklace and a card that said something like
"congrats Gramma!!"

lol.

Yeah it was a nice way to tell her... but everyone in the family already knew because of how sick I was. (Was so sick I started missing work within 3 weeks of becoming pregnant)

You can tell your parents separately there's nothing wrong with that.
But you do need to tell them soon if they're your way to get prenatal vitamins.

It's good that your boyfriend is starting to set things up for you guys, if you ever need to talk to a Mommy, I'm always here.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Points: 14,585, Level: 17 Points: 14,585, Level: 17 Points: 14,585, Level: 17

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 04:53 AM

Congrats! I just came straight out and told my mom. Actually, she kind of guessed it because I was having a rough time just blurting it out.

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
mommieof2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nellie

Points: 11,862, Level: 15 Points: 11,862, Level: 15 Points: 11,862, Level: 15

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 20th 2009, 06:44 AM

i cried my eyes out when i told my mom. i got pregnant when i lost my virginity so to even let her know that i was having sex embarrassed me so much! But i just asked her if she could take me to the doctor, and she asked why...so i told her that i was pregnant. She suggested i take a home pregnancy test first...well i had already taken 7 and they all came out positive. I had to make sure before i told mom lol. She was okay with it. Didn't really react at all which surprised me since my mom was always so opinionative lol.

with my second pregnancy i just tossed her the test since i had been trying to get pregnant. that was much easier. There is no right or wrong way to tell them. They are going to find out eventually. Just be honest.

*Nellie*
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Jaguar Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Stephen Davis

Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 21st 2009, 10:52 PM

You're gonna say,"Mom, ___ and I are getting married." And she's gonna say, "Are you pregnant?" and you're gonna say, "Yes." That's how it goes.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 21st 2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
You're gonna say,"Mom, ___ and I are getting married." And she's gonna say, "Are you pregnant?" and you're gonna say, "Yes." That's how it goes.

That's a good one.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Jaguar Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Stephen Davis

Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17 Points: 15,150, Level: 17

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 21st 2009, 11:33 PM

Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll make a fine mother.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Points: 13,335, Level: 16 Points: 13,335, Level: 16 Points: 13,335, Level: 16

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 21st 2009, 11:56 PM

you can get pre-natal vitamins at any pharmacy or drug store (idk what they're called in australia- maybe chemists?) the should be with all the other vitamins. if you can't find them, ask and employee there. good luck hun!!!!

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

Last edited by kimvia; May 21st 2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: clarity
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Average Joe

Name: brady shaw

Points: 11,331, Level: 15 Points: 11,331, Level: 15 Points: 11,331, Level: 15

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 23rd 2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:

-Lissie
as stated by (chealsy) it is never easy to open up to your parents about private/personal things like being pregnant.
I think that if you are just honest they will take it better than if they were to find out by you giving birth to the baby.

long story short-just try and open up and admit to your parents that you are pregnant, trust me it is better that way.

-good luck-
franz1
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
That's a good one.
well said...

Last edited by franz1; May 23rd 2009 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
broken Offline
larawood.deviantart.com
Not a n00b

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 24th 2009, 05:42 PM

Thank you so much, guys!
Well, I went to mom. And I asked her to take me to the doctor, and i showed her the test, and she wasnt surprised or upset or anything. She took dad to a restaurant after he got home and she told him.. she thought he would take it better coming from her. He was disappointed, but not too terribly upset. He's pretty excited to have a grandchild in the same region as he is (since my sisters live quite a few regions away).
My guy got us rings, and we'll probably get married in two months. I will find out how far along I am in two days. I'm excited! Everything seems to be falling in place, and God is taking care of us. ^-^

~Rissa~

(#18 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 24th 2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much, guys!
Well, I went to mom. And I asked her to take me to the doctor, and i showed her the test, and she wasnt surprised or upset or anything. She took dad to a restaurant after he got home and she told him.. she thought he would take it better coming from her. He was disappointed, but not too terribly upset. He's pretty excited to have a grandchild in the same region as he is (since my sisters live quite a few regions away).
My guy got us rings, and we'll probably get married in two months. I will find out how far along I am in two days. I'm excited! Everything seems to be falling in place, and God is taking care of us. ^-^
That's great to hear. I'm glad that it went pretty well. Since you've told them and the advice you were asking for in this thread is therefore not needed anymore, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. But if you have any other questions, feel free to create another thread.

PM me if you ever want to talk.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
acidkoolz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 9,370, Level: 14 Points: 9,370, Level: 14 Points: 9,370, Level: 14

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - May 30th 2009, 02:26 AM

The same thing happened to us when we told the parents we were getting married. Mom was OK with it, but she had to tell dad

As far as when we had our baby, we had been trying for awhile so everyone sort of had an idea already, but congratulations!

New Parenting website - Check it out!
http://www.themagicmoms.com/
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
sunnnyBoo Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sunsia(;

Points: 9,747, Level: 14 Points: 9,747, Level: 14 Points: 9,747, Level: 14

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - June 1st 2009, 08:16 PM

Congrats(=
Telling your mom &nd Dad is hard,
&nd they might even get angry at you for awhile;
but they'll come to understand that its your life.
You'll feel 390753257932856x better after you tell them, aswell.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessy

Points: 21,362, Level: 21 Points: 21,362, Level: 21 Points: 21,362, Level: 21

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - June 1st 2009, 08:44 PM

Aw, congratulations I'm glad that your parents are happy and ok with it

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
fame Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mikayla

Points: 9,553, Level: 14 Points: 9,553, Level: 14 Points: 9,553, Level: 14

Re: im pregnant. how do i tell mom and dad? - June 1st 2009, 09:01 PM

When I broke the news to my parents that I was pregnant, at first they flipped out and told me that they would not ever help me or the baby. However, after I gave them some time to cool down they started to come around, and now they are the most supportive grandparents ever! I guess what I am trying to say is even if their initial reaction is not the best, just give them some time to digest what you just told them before you get upset yourself.

Hope that helps!

Mikayla & Kate
Jack & Tegan
My family, my world, my everything.
Closed Thread