TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Talking about religion - September 14th 2012, 11:58 PM

I was wondering what other people's view on discussing religion is. I mean if you are Catholic would you sit down and have civil conversation with a Hindu? or if you are Seventh Day Adventist would you talk to a Mormon? And when I say talk I mean listen to...try and see their side and stuff.
My view on this is WHY NOT!?!? It's not wrong to learn about other faiths and connect with others who are of a different faith then you. Knowledge is power and leads to wisdom. And these type of discussions are great for getting rid of stereotypes too.
Thoughts?
   
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 946870 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pyromania Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Pyromania's Avatar
 
Name: ?
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere quiet.

Posts: 97
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 11th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 12:17 AM

I'm an atheist and I'd definitely be up for a *civil* discussion with, for example, a devout Christian. It'd be interesting and I'd like to challenge their views/be challenged myself.

Too many people brand themselves as one and declare every other religion/belief system to be obsolete and wrong. Those people are often too naive and immature to warrant talking to in the first place.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Jack Lowden's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: FOR IRAW!!! ;)

Posts: 3,936
Join Date: March 16th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 12:58 AM

I consider myself agnostic & I actually enjoy having those types of discussions with people. However, I don't like talking to closeminded people who have no facts to back up their beliefs yet try to force their religion down my throat. So it really depends on who I'm talking to.



   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tayatot14 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Tayatot14's Avatar
 

Posts: 9
Join Date: September 14th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 02:09 AM

Im am a Christian and Im willing to sit down and listen long as I get to share my side to. Although I WILL sit down and listen and talk about what you believe doesnt mean im willing to change what i KNOW about my God
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Delicious Chaos Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Delicious Chaos's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 324
Join Date: June 27th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 04:29 AM

I am a Muslim and I have more christian and atheist friends than Muslim friends. It is interesting to see what they believe and what I believe. I am interesting to learn about their beliefs and what they think of my belief. I think it is ignorant of people not to listen to someone else's belief because everyone has a reason to believe in what they do.
I dislike when people judge me because of my religion. Like some of the other people said I hate when people try to force their religion on me. I don't want to convert I just like to know more about what they believe.




ďIíve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. Iíve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, Iíve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. Iíve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.Ē
- Michael Jordan


Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
- John Wooden
  Send a message via Yahoo to Delicious Chaos Send a message via Skype™ to Delicious Chaos 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 04:48 AM

I'm willing to discuss religion with whomever, even if I know very little about a particular religion. I'm open for a civil debate as long as the person is willing and capable. I don't care all that much for a discussion or debate that turns into prophesizing or preaching, generally at that point I've lost interest unless the person returns.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 11:12 AM

Oh my gosh you guys are just great! Yes, this is what I was hoping for There are people that think like me haha.
And Katz! I have just recently learned quite a bit about Muslims and can I just say WOW! I never knew the kind of things you believed and I was overjoyed to find out that you guys have some of the same beliefs that my religion does! Im LDS (Mormon) by the way
And Pyromania! I have quite a bit of respect for atheists, you guys tend to know more about Christianity itself then a lot of Christians, you guys know your facts and I admire that. When talking to my brother..who is somewhat of an atheist...I have to make sure I have my facts straight first or he will call me out on it (which I dont like) I do admit I dont know every little thing about my religion but I try my best to learn and understand. I know I have been blessed with the ability to gain understanding, thats why I love discussing topics on religion.....if people are civil about it
Please keep commenting
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb♥ View Post
I consider myself agnostic & I actually enjoy having those types of discussions with people. However, I don't like talking to closeminded people who have no facts to back up their beliefs yet try to force their religion down my throat. So it really depends on who I'm talking to.
And yes! Closeminded people are the worst! I cant handle it.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Delicious Chaos Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Delicious Chaos's Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 324
Join Date: June 27th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 11:25 AM

Melwirth The media and extremists from my religion did a hell of a job to make Islam look bad. We, muslims, belief is pretty close to all the monotheistic religions. I am glad you learned about Islam it makes me overjoyed and I hope other people that don't quite get Islam to do the same




ďIíve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. Iíve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, Iíve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. Iíve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.Ē
- Michael Jordan


Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
- John Wooden
  Send a message via Yahoo to Delicious Chaos Send a message via Skype™ to Delicious Chaos 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 11:55 AM

Katz....I say you are right on the ball with being monotheistic, I mean from what I have heard. I'd personally even call you Christians, thats not a bad thing don't worry From what I have heard your beliefs are very close to mine......that even shocked me but I'd very much like to learn more about you religion and maybe kinda show you how similar we are, it's quite amazing actually.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't do it just to debate or out of curiousity, but I would do it to try to lead them to Christ.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,647
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 06:20 PM

I don't mind discussing religion, I'm actually curious about all the different belief systems and I'm a pretty open minded person. The only thing I'm really intolerant of is intolerance, so the second someone tries to convert me, or tells me I'm wrong, the conversation is over. In my mind civil doesn't mean debate, convert, or agree. We all have a right to belive what we want and to have those views respected.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe
***
 
Zen Ryochan's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Gender: Other

Posts: 113
Join Date: January 1st 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 10:43 PM

I love to discuss it. I just can't stand when they start to try and convert me. It usually turns into an argument after that.


"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

ďTo love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.Ē ~Thich Nhat Hanh
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 15th 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I wouldn't do it just to debate or out of curiousity, but I would do it to try to lead them to Christ.
Having a civil conversation isn't a debate, and why not out of curiosity? If you want to lead them unto Christ, you have to be willing to listen to someone first. If you are strong in your faith then you shouldn't have a problem with what others have to say. What wrong with learning? I see it this way, I love to see people convert to my religion, it makes me so happy cuz I know it will make them happy but if my friend invited me to church with her one Sunday how could I say no if I would offer the same invitation and hope they would say yes. Its a give and take sort of thing. Even Missionaries of my church that go out to preach the gospel would go to another church if politely invited. It shows that we respect other faiths and would like to teach you about our if you would like to listen.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 16th 2012, 05:11 PM

I'm a Catholic, and I'm happy to talk about religion with anyone of any creed, culture or philosophical outlook - provided it's done from a position of mutual respect for the other person and with an open mind. Shouting contests aren't my cup of tea, nor is evangelising from either a religious or non-religious perspective.


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
AnaMZ Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
AnaMZ's Avatar
 
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere with a tragic absence of penguins.

Posts: 92
Join Date: January 12th 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 17th 2012, 10:10 AM

Definitely, I'm always open to discussion with people of other beliefs/non-beliefs, and I don't mind being asked about being an atheist. There is one thing that I don't like though, and that is when people assume that a "civil" conversation means that I can't question what they think, and they can't question me. Perhaps it's because I value debate more than other people sometimes, but I'd rather have a civilised argument than a polite conversation where you know the other person thinks you're going to Hell, but can't be bothered explaining why!


Dear You,
You can make it through this. The clouds will not last forever.
From Me.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Pyromania Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Pyromania's Avatar
 
Name: ?
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere quiet.

Posts: 97
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: September 11th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 17th 2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwirth View Post
And Pyromania! I have quite a bit of respect for atheists, you guys tend to know more about Christianity itself then a lot of Christians, you guys know your facts and I admire that. When talking to my brother..who is somewhat of an atheist...I have to make sure I have my facts straight first or he will call me out on it (which I dont like) I do admit I dont know every little thing about my religion but I try my best to learn and understand. I know I have been blessed with the ability to gain understanding, thats why I love discussing topics on religion.....if people are civil about it
It's this 'ability' and mindset that distinguishes those who are worth talking to from those who aren't, in my opinion. There's no point in explaining your views/beliefs if they're just going to bounce off the ears of whoever it is you're debating with. I don't expect my personal view to convert anybody but I'd like any person I talk to to at least approach things with an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMZ View Post
I'd rather have a civilised argument than a polite conversation where you know the other person thinks you're going to Hell, but can't be bothered explaining why!
This is what winds me up about most stubborn religious followers. They tend to force their views on others and not even explain why things are as they are - "God exists because he just does!", for example. That's a non-statement. As an atheist, I'm able to back up my views and I'd expect anybody else I debate with to be able to do the same. Not necessarily with science now, but with anything of substance.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
*thegirlinthecorner-TAN*'s Avatar
 
Name: Nakita
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Lost in Wonderland

Posts: 469
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: July 27th 2011

Re: Talking about religion - September 17th 2012, 03:30 PM

I'm baptist. I am willing to talk to anyone and everyone. I don't who or what they are. I have a respect for everyone. I'm best friends with a gay wiccan. I'm the daughter of an atheist and a catholic. My older sister is agnostic. My aunt is baptist. My cousins are christian. My best friend is Pentecostal. my other best friends are christians.





"Stop acting like you know what I've been through, you know nothing until you've actually lived every moment and felt every ounce of pain that I have."

"Someone asked me if i missed you, I just walked away then I whispered, so much" I'll miss you forever, Vernon and Charlene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWrL...eature=related
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 18th 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwirth View Post
Having a civil conversation isn't a debate, and why not out of curiosity? If you want to lead them unto Christ, you have to be willing to listen to someone first. If you are strong in your faith then you shouldn't have a problem with what others have to say. What wrong with learning? I see it this way, I love to see people convert to my religion, it makes me so happy cuz I know it will make them happy but if my friend invited me to church with her one Sunday how could I say no if I would offer the same invitation and hope they would say yes. Its a give and take sort of thing. Even Missionaries of my church that go out to preach the gospel would go to another church if politely invited. It shows that we respect other faiths and would like to teach you about our if you would like to listen.
I don't mind knowing what other people believe. When I said I wouldn't talk about it "out of curiosity", I guess I meant I wouldn't talk about it with the possibility of changing what I believe or caring about other beliefs. It is nice to know about them just so I'm not clueless while witnessing to people of that religion. It will help me to know how to reach them. I don't respect false religions or anything that goes against my God, so I wouldn't be listening because I care about their religion...but I would be listening because I care about the person, and knowing what they believe will help me to know how to share Jesus with them.

p.s. I don't try to bring people to Jesus to make them happy (though that's a plus). I try to bring people to Jesus to save their souls.
   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 18th 2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I don't mind knowing what other people believe. When I said I wouldn't talk about it "out of curiosity", I guess I meant I wouldn't talk about it with the possibility of changing what I believe or caring about other beliefs. It is nice to know about them just so I'm not clueless while witnessing to people of that religion. It will help me to know how to reach them. I don't respect false religions or anything that goes against my God, so I wouldn't be listening because I care about their religion...but I would be listening because I care about the person, and knowing what they believe will help me to know how to share Jesus with them.

p.s. I don't try to bring people to Jesus to make them happy (though that's a plus). I try to bring people to Jesus to save their souls.
If you're not going to respect their religion and don't want to hear it, how can you expect to learn anything about it? You need not abandon your religion to learn of theirs. Given the fact you would try to convert them (rather quickly), I doubt you would pay much attention to anything they say, so might as well just be up front and tell them you don't give a crap then immediately try to convert.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 18th 2012, 03:49 PM

I am always up front about my intentions.
   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I am always up front about my intentions.
You know, in all the time that I've been here, I've wondered if you actually believe the things that you say, or if you're a troll. I don't want to sound offensive, but it's actually gone through my mind.

To the OP: I love discussing religion. I'm an atheist though.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 03:45 AM

Why would you think I don't believe what I say? I definitely do, so I want to know why you think that, because I want to make sure I'm not sounding like I'm joking.
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
CorrieUSMC's Avatar
 
Name: Corrie
Gender: Attack helicopter
Location: New York

Posts: 666
Join Date: August 26th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 04:36 AM

I'm the only person in my town I know that considers their Religion "Norse paganism" So often many people ask me about it and I've actually like talking about other Religions. My Favorite part is when someone asks me "what the hell is that ?" When i tell them My religious views ^^


   
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Validity's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Posts: 2,459
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: August 23rd 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 05:07 AM

I call myself a Pentecostal Christian and I say yes. I'm probably bias though because when I go to college I want to gt a theology major. I like having knowledge and I think it'll be interesting to try and match things up :P if you go to this site http://www.elevationchurch.com.au/ and click on the worship style test, I rank under Intellecual :P I feel closer to God through studying. I will be the first to admit it, I am a geek and a really big NERD but I'm proud of it and call it a compliment if people call me one because they are just saying I am smarter than them :P

Feel free to PM me, any of you, I'm up for a challenge ;P

Jay.
And that is what being an awesome aussie takes What up?!


Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Age of Ignorance's Avatar
 
Name: Mitch
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,391
Blog Entries: 31
Join Date: February 3rd 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope To Cope View Post
Jay.
And that is what being an awesome aussie takes What up?!
Jay,

I just want to comment on the "awesome aussie" part. Before I ask a question, I'd just like to say that it might be slightly off-topic, but I'm curious in a religious context (as opposed to a general or cultural context). So, I'm curious, what exactly do you think makes an "awesome aussie"? Do "awesome aussies" have to associate themselves with a particular religion, or do we merely have to accept religious institutes?

On topic, I'm an Atheist. Well, I'm an Atheist to the extent that I'm indifferent. I do not really care at all. I only care so far as I think associating oneself with a particular religious institute is folly, and that I think impromptu conversations on religion or beliefs are a slight annoyance. That being said, I'm generally curious about religion. I like to know how people think, and if people are influenced subjectively by a particular belief system, I'd like to know how it affects those thoughts. So, to a certain degree, I'm happy discussing religious beliefs. However, if I get any impression that someone is trying to push their beliefs onto me, or start a debate about their beliefs, I'll stop the conversation, because nothing is going to make me change my mind, and whilst I'm accepting of religious beliefs, I don't like them being thrust upon me. I tend to bite when people try to do it.


Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.
   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Validity's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Posts: 2,459
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: August 23rd 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 05:34 AM

Nah mate, I was just saying :P I have had wayyyyyyyy too much ice coffee :P sorry mate. I am just super hyped and I was meant to write that somewhere else :/ I wondered why my computer glitched when I wrote it, seemed to put it in a weird spot ..... lol! My computer is freaky weird :/

All I do is talk :P I listen and interject but I believe it is all conjecture. We don't know everything so it is hard to put someone into religion. I can switch from super hyper to serious in a second flat, quite proud of myself actually.

Keep talking. Did I send you a message like weeks ago?

Jay.


Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Heathen's Avatar
 
Name: Jordan
Age: 29
Gender: Female

Posts: 5,326
Blog Entries: 535
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 05:04 PM

I'm always willing to sit down and have a civilized conversation about someone else's beliefs...as long as it is actually a discussion, and my beliefs are also treated with respect and civility. In addition, it needs to be a simple exchange of ideas. I do not try and persuade people to practice my spirituality, and I do not appreciate it when others try and push me to conform to their religious beliefs.



The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Why would you think I don't believe what I say? I definitely do, so I want to know why you think that, because I want to make sure I'm not sounding like I'm joking.
It doesn't sound like joking. It sounds more like trolling. Again, I don't want to sound insulting if this isn't the case. That's just how it seems to me.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 19th 2012, 11:37 PM

I don't quite know what you mean by trolling, but if it's anything except saying the truth about what I believe, that's not what I'm doing.
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Asteria Polemoi Offline
Female Oddity
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Asteria Polemoi's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 21
Gender: Agender; female pronouns okay
Location: United States

Posts: 20
Join Date: September 20th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 20th 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwirth View Post
I was wondering what other people's view on discussing religion is. I mean if you are Catholic would you sit down and have civil conversation with a Hindu? or if you are Seventh Day Adventist would you talk to a Mormon? And when I say talk I mean listen to...try and see their side and stuff.
My view on this is WHY NOT!?!? It's not wrong to learn about other faiths and connect with others who are of a different faith then you. Knowledge is power and leads to wisdom. And these type of discussions are great for getting rid of stereotypes too.
Thoughts?
Yeah, I would. Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I'm better than anybody and I can't talk to anyone. It's stupid to just be like, "Oh, yeah, I'm so much better because I have different religious views and I can't be in the presence of such morons." I don't know about you, but that goes against the whole being Christlike thing us Christians strive to be. :P
   
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 21st 2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteria Polemoi View Post
Yeah, I would. Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I'm better than anybody and I can't talk to anyone. It's stupid to just be like, "Oh, yeah, I'm so much better because I have different religious views and I can't be in the presence of such morons." I don't know about you, but that goes against the whole being Christlike thing us Christians strive to be. :P
I highly agree with you. You hit the nail on the head What you said reminds me of a bumber sticker on of my church leaders saw and told us about it said "dont judge me because I sin differently then you"
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 21st 2012, 07:05 AM

[quote=Megan1;947637]I don't mind knowing what other people believe. When I said I wouldn't talk about it "out of curiosity", I guess I meant I wouldn't talk about it with the possibility of changing what I believe or caring about other beliefs. It is nice to know about them just so I'm not clueless while witnessing to people of that religion. It will help me to know how to reach them. I don't respect false religions or anything that goes against my God, so I wouldn't be listening because I care about their religion...but I would be listening because I care about the person, and knowing what they believe will help me to know how to share Jesus with them.

p.s. I don't try to bring people to Jesus to make them happy (though that's a plus). I try to bring people to Jesus to save their souls.[/QUOT

Im sorry but really? really? to save their souls? Yeah thats fine and dandy but shouldn't our salvation bring us happiness and joy? I mean how do you try and convert people, do you tell them that they are damned to hell if they don't? That might be a little forward but that's what im gathering from what you have said. And what about all those people who werent able to learn about Christ while they were alive, what about the people who didnt have an opportunity to learn? I mean, I have that answer but I'm just wondering if you do?
   
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Member
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Megan1's Avatar
 
Name: Megan
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 928
Join Date: February 6th 2010

Re: Talking about religion - September 21st 2012, 12:54 PM

Oh yes, salvation definitely does bring happiness! I'm just saying that happiness isn't my focus when preaching to someone. My focus is getting them saved. The happiness is just a plus.

I kind of witness like they do on The Way of the Master if you've ever seen that show (you can Youtube it if you haven't), except not in such an interview style like they do. I do it in a more personal conversation way usually (every case is different). You definitely need to talk about sin and hell, because otherwise they won't know what they need to be saved from and know that they need a Savior. But, you also need to make sure that you make it clear that ALL humans deserve hell and it's not just them- they're not worse than anyone else. I try to relate it back to myself so they know that I was a sinner who needed to be saved too (just 2.5 years ago) and I'm not singling them out. Look at The Way of the Master, minus the interview style, and that's basically what I do.

The bible doesn't give a word for word answer to your question about people who didn't learn about Christ while they were alive. However, I'm pretty sure that they would stll go to hell. Here's my reasons why. Test these against the bible and see if you find anything that says otherwise (I'm not saying that in a debating way; I seriously want to know if it says otherwise): First, God is sending people to hell for their sins, He's not sending them to hell for not accepting Jesus. Accepting Jesus is just the way out. Even if God had never sent Jesus for any of us, it would be completely fair to send us all to hell, because we all sinned. Jesus is just the much-more-than-fair gift that we were given. So, I'd say whoever doesn't choose that gift (eitehr because they couldn't or because they chose not to) just gets what they originally deserved anyways- which is hell. Second, if people could get to Heaven by not knowing the gospel, why did Jesus say it's so important that we share the gospel and get them saved? Wouldn't it be better to not tell anyone the gospel so they could get to Heaven for not knowing? Third, there is a scripture that says that no man has an excuse to not believe in God, because nature and His creations are proof enough that He is real. The bible also says that if you seek, you will find. So, according the bible, not me, anyone can know there is a God without being told. And from there, if they choose to seek Him and not ignore it, they will find the truth somehow (whether God sends a missionary to them, brings them to a church, tells them audibly...which is rare but has happened, etc).

Reguardless of this though, the bible tells us to preach the gospel...so I'm going to preach the gospel either way.

Last edited by Megan1; September 21st 2012 at 04:56 PM.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Melwirth's Avatar
 
Name: Melissa
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Idaho

Posts: 144
Join Date: July 4th 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 25th 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Oh yes, salvation definitely does bring happiness! I'm just saying that happiness isn't my focus when preaching to someone. My focus is getting them saved. The happiness is just a plus.

I kind of witness like they do on The Way of the Master if you've ever seen that show (you can Youtube it if you haven't), except not in such an interview style like they do. I do it in a more personal conversation way usually (every case is different). You definitely need to talk about sin and hell, because otherwise they won't know what they need to be saved from and know that they need a Savior. But, you also need to make sure that you make it clear that ALL humans deserve hell and it's not just them- they're not worse than anyone else. I try to relate it back to myself so they know that I was a sinner who needed to be saved too (just 2.5 years ago) and I'm not singling them out. Look at The Way of the Master, minus the interview style, and that's basically what I do.

The bible doesn't give a word for word answer to your question about people who didn't learn about Christ while they were alive. However, I'm pretty sure that they would stll go to hell. Here's my reasons why. Test these against the bible and see if you find anything that says otherwise (I'm not saying that in a debating way; I seriously want to know if it says otherwise): First, God is sending people to hell for their sins, He's not sending them to hell for not accepting Jesus. Accepting Jesus is just the way out. Even if God had never sent Jesus for any of us, it would be completely fair to send us all to hell, because we all sinned. Jesus is just the much-more-than-fair gift that we were given. So, I'd say whoever doesn't choose that gift (eitehr because they couldn't or because they chose not to) just gets what they originally deserved anyways- which is hell. Second, if people could get to Heaven by not knowing the gospel, why did Jesus say it's so important that we share the gospel and get them saved? Wouldn't it be better to not tell anyone the gospel so they could get to Heaven for not knowing? Third, there is a scripture that says that no man has an excuse to not believe in God, because nature and His creations are proof enough that He is real. The bible also says that if you seek, you will find. So, according the bible, not me, anyone can know there is a God without being told. And from there, if they choose to seek Him and not ignore it, they will find the truth somehow (whether God sends a missionary to them, brings them to a church, tells them audibly...which is rare but has happened, etc).

Reguardless of this though, the bible tells us to preach the gospel...so I'm going to preach the gospel either way.
I usually dont get irritated very easily when talking about religion, heck I can have someone tell me God does not exist a million times and it wont bother me but to read what you have just said just kills me, it hurts me so bad that im almost in tears. It hurts to know that people actually believe that God would send people to Hell because they did not have the opportunity to accept the Gospel and learn about Christ. What kind of God would do that. He loves us perfectly, we are his children and what He wants more than anything is for His children to return to him and He will make a way that is fair and just that they may return to him. And you say that it's not that if they dont accept Christ that will send them to Hell, it's sinning that does which im guessing you meant to say not repenting for our sins will send us to hell, because after all we all sin so we all must repent. But if we need to repent of our sins to "save our soul" as you say, wouldnt accepting Christ need to be apart of the repentance process? He did atone for our sins correct? So yes it is about accepting Christ isn't it? Yes we are commanded to bring souls unto Christ, this is true but what about the people in countries that didnt allow people to learn about Christ of preach about him or even pray? What about those people? It's not their fault they didnt learn about Christ therefore did not learn about repenting and asking God for forgiveness. There are just people in this world that did not have the opportunity and it would not be right, fair, or even just to punish them by sending them to hell because of that. Did you know that there is time spent in a place between death and the Resurrection and judgment? Time in a place called the Spirit World but it is divided into paradise and spirit prison....spirit prison isnt as bad as it sounds.....its a place for those who didn't have the opportunity to learn to learn and to repent if they so choose there are scriptures that talk about it 1Peter 3:19 which says "By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison:" I suggest reading the rest of those verses too. and 1Peter 4:6 "For this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they may be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." I suggest you read all of Chapter 4 it explains it all. But there it is, there is the answer....they will have the opportunity to learn. so bottom line....we try and reach those we can and because we are imperfect we cannot reach everyone so God has made a way to save them too.....doesnt that sound more like God?
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Validity's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Posts: 2,459
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: August 23rd 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 25th 2012, 11:00 AM

Hey guys,
I'm going to interject here, I'm not picking sides here though, just food for thought:
Matthew 28:19
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Also: there is a verse about the coming of the end of the world, it tells us that the end will come when the whole world is preached to, when all has heard of who our God is. Then he will come, there will be many wars and rumours of wars, but all will be like the first pains of child birth.
Found it:
Matthew 24:14
14 And this Good News about the Kingdom will be preached through all the world for a witness to all people; and then the end will come.

Many will give up their faiths, many will be persecuted. I ask this: Whom among you would stand strong? Who would figt for what you believe?

Jay.


Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Daivia's Avatar
 
Name: Maeve
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: The Peach State

Posts: 878
Blog Entries: 13
Join Date: July 30th 2011

Re: Talking about religion - September 25th 2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope To Cope View Post
Hey guys,
I'm going to interject here, I'm not picking sides here though, just food for thought:
Matthew 28:19
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Also: there is a verse about the coming of the end of the world, it tells us that the end will come when the whole world is preached to, when all has heard of who our God is. Then he will come, there will be many wars and rumours of wars, but all will be like the first pains of child birth.
Found it:
Matthew 24:14
14 And this Good News about the Kingdom will be preached through all the world for a witness to all people; and then the end will come.

Many will give up their faiths, many will be persecuted. I ask this: Whom among you would stand strong? Who would figt for what you believe?

Jay.
Although I think this is wildly off-topic (being able to talk about different religions without conflict, the actual topic, versus whether one would fight for one's own beliefs, your topic.

To answer your topic: yes, I would fight.

To answer the actual topic: I like discussing religion with believers, mostly because their beliefs amuse me.
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Validity's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Posts: 2,459
Blog Entries: 23
Join Date: August 23rd 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 25th 2012, 01:15 PM

Haha, sorry, I was watching the debate between Melwirth and Megan1! And thought I'd add in my own question which seemed to be laced in with the quotes I mentioned.

It's good to know someone would fight. I would to.

JAy.


Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
escape♥'s Avatar
 
Name: Paula
Age: 22
Gender: Girl :3
Location: In my own world.

Posts: 543
Blog Entries: 30
Join Date: June 1st 2012

Re: Talking about religion - September 25th 2012, 01:32 PM

I consider myself Agnostic, and I wouldn't mind talking to somebody civilly about religion. I strongly dislike close-minded people, who don't even consider another person's beliefs or morals, based on whatever stereotypes or little facts they have.
I accept every person and they're religion, no matter what. I find religion intriguing, and would be totally open to talking about it.
~paula


If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Talking about religion - September 25th 2012, 03:03 PM

I absolutely would sit down with people with faiths that differ from me. I'm Catholic, so I've heard of the, "You're not Christian" bullshit people try to pull on me (my brother's Christian mother-in-law being a prime example). Rather than people accusing me, I would rather them just ask to clarify what they don't understand (or what they think they understand, but are only getting one part of it). I will explain my faith to anyone who asks to the best of my ability.
By the same token, I want to understand other religions. I would love to sit down with someone who practices Islam, for example, to get a better understanding of their religion since I know the religious extremists (read: terrorists) can't speak for the entire faith. I think I could be open-minded to what they believe as long as they don't try to convert me. I want to understand, but I don't want to change my faith. But, yes, I would love to be educated about other faiths in more than just the overview I got in my world history class in 9th grade. I want to know how people of other faiths think, what their traditions are, etc. You can get information from textbooks, but why not go straight to the heart of the faith by talking to those who practice it?


ďDon't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
religion, talking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.