TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:07 AM

How many of you are into interracial dating? Why or why not? How important is the race of the person to you? What about dating someone from another culture or linguistic background? Any other opinions?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:09 AM

I don't see anything wrong with interracial dating, I don't think it should be a factor in a relationship.
As long as you have an attraction to each other, some chemistry, and like each other then I don't see why it is a big deal. I would certainly date someone of another race
Another culture would be interesting, it would give us something to talk about and we could learn from each other. As long as they can speak some english so we can communicate, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22 Points: 23,828, Level: 22

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:11 AM

What do you mean by "into"?

I'm in what you would consider an interracial relationship. My boyfriend is Dutch, while I am ethnically Korean and live all the way in America. I don't consider race to be that important and no one else I know really cares either.

It's not like a fetish, no. I know some people really like Asians (for example) to the point where it is a fetish. That does not exist in my relationship.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:15 AM

Obviously I think it's fine. I haven't personally asked anyone out who is of a different race, most likely a combination of factors: I live in a very Caucasian city, and I find Caucasian men and women more attractive on average then I do men and women from other races. I think it's just personal preference versus one's options.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Points: 14,038, Level: 17 Points: 14,038, Level: 17 Points: 14,038, Level: 17

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:17 AM

I don't think someone's race would ever stop me from being attracted to them.
If I like someone then I like them, I would never judge another couple because one's white and one's black or anything like that.
Live and let live, if people love each other and are happy in the relationship then let it be. (:
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 03:25 AM

Most of my relationships have been 'interracial'. I find nothing wrong with it and I feel as if it just so happened that most of them weren't the same race as me.

I find that it's good to date outside of your race though, because it's a good way to learn more about other people's cultures and such. Even though I have many friends outside of my race, I feel that dating other races has given me like.. that inside look at the different beliefs and culture around me.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
What do you mean by "into"?
Some people are just not into it like my friend is Mexican and she says she just cannot date a African-American guy because she is not into it.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
I can't get enough

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 09:02 AM

My boyfriend is part Caribbean. Interracial dating has never been a problem for me, neither has it been anything I pay particular attention to. It honestly doesn't matter. I think I need the person to be able to speak English, at least as a second language, but other than that, if I'm attracted to them and we have things in common, then anything goes.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 09:56 AM

I could be in a interracial relationship, it wouldn't worry me. As long as I am attracted to the person I could be in a relationship with them. That being said I love Asian guys

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 11:22 AM

I think that it would depend hugely on the person. I tend to be more attracted to people of the same race - won't necessarily say the same breed (I've never been muchly attracted to an American, per se) - but this isn't saying I've never found outside races attractive. But we would have to "click." And by click I don't mean personally. I mean if we both shared completely different cultural values, as did our families, I'm not sure I'd be willing to make it work. Yes, there's always room for compromise, but I think if two people follow two completely different paths and don't share the same views on a lot of important issues/places in life, then it's not going to work. Hence why I said it depends hugely on the person, because I wouldn't want to be in a relationship simply to learn about another culture.

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I've been here a while

Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 12:57 PM

I dated a Japanese girl, briefly. She was on some kind of student exchange from Tokyo University. Probably the most beautiful girl I've ever dated, and shy in a way that was cute rather than annoying. Blushed a lot. Her English was pretty awful, but she wrote better than she spoke so we communicated by passing notes. Unfortunately it all went pear-shaped when her boyfriend found out (), but I still remember her fondly. So yeah, I've dated interracially and across cultural barriers, and I'd absolutely do it again. There are attractive girls from every background.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Venenum Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,047, Level: 13 Points: 8,047, Level: 13 Points: 8,047, Level: 13

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 01:59 PM

Never done it so far. But it wouldn't matter if I were in love.

I have lots of friends which are into interracial relationships.

"A weed, is an unloved flower."
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Guardian_Angel Offline
Protector.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Peter

Points: 12,824, Level: 16 Points: 12,824, Level: 16 Points: 12,824, Level: 16

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
I dated a Japanese girl, briefly. She was on some kind of student exchange from Tokyo University. Probably the most beautiful girl I've ever dated, and shy in a way that was cute rather than annoying. Blushed a lot. Her English was pretty awful, but she wrote better than she spoke so we communicated by passing notes. Unfortunately it all went pear-shaped when her boyfriend found out (), but I still remember her fondly. So yeah, I've dated interracially and across cultural barriers, and I'd absolutely do it again. There are attractive girls from every background.
Archeron, every post you makes brings me laughter xD

As for me, well seeing as my father is white, and my mother is black, its likely I will end up in an interracial relationship either way! xD

that being said, I, for some reason, prefer girls who are caucasion, I just feel more of an attraction for them.

I believe its more of a cultural thing as well, as I was brought up by my father, and I feel the white British culture is more part of my identity, and therefore feel more synergy with those from a white cultural background.

Now saying this, would I be adverse to dating other races? Certainly not, it would never be an issue... Now I have had it be an issue with partners families before...

Impossible
is a word
to be found only
in the dictionary of fools.

To do all that one is able to do,
Is to be a man;
To do all that one would like to do,
Is to be a god.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Quiero tener sandías con un patito como Tricia!
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 02:47 PM

For me, personally, I haven't dated anyone of a different race nor have I ever been attracted to someone of a different race.

I'm not sure why, but I have no problem with people who do chose this, or are in interracial relationships. It's just my personal preference to date within my race. I guess it's partly based on the way I was raised (my family is from the south and it was frowned upon back in 'their' day). But, I've also just never found myself attracted to anyone of a different race.

If my views were different, I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Points: 15,667, Level: 18 Points: 15,667, Level: 18 Points: 15,667, Level: 18

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 03:36 PM

I am currently in a interracial relationship of 5 months. My girlfriend is a student at my university and is from China.

It's not a fetish thing for me, it just so happened that we had a few interests in common and then we spent time together as friends for about a month and then she agreed to date me. However, there were a few times where some white and black guys would come up to me and whisper to me ''living the American dream huh?'' and then I would laugh a little.

There are some aspects of her personality where it is much more appealing than girls from North America because of her background, and there are other aspects of her that stem from her individual personality. So whenever there is an argument or disagreement I would not be like ''Oh, it's because she's Asian.''

Sorry to hear about the Japanese girl Acheron, just keep in mind that she probably got an overload of an earful when she went back to Japan.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Points: 18,306, Level: 19 Points: 18,306, Level: 19 Points: 18,306, Level: 19

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 04:15 PM

I wouldn't limit my options of the people that I'd consider dating just because of their race so interracial dating wouldn't be a problem for me. Not to mention that there are women of different races who I do find attractive so if me and that person were to click then there would no reason as to why I wouldn't date them. I just figure that I will fall in love with whoever I fall in love with, race doesn't come into that. So yeah, what can I say, I taste the rainbow.

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
HiddenSmile Offline
Previously TriciaChristine :D
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tricia Christine

Points: 10,766, Level: 15 Points: 10,766, Level: 15 Points: 10,766, Level: 15

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 06:40 PM

I am currently in an interracial relationship myself, so I have no objection to it. My boyfriend is Mulatto and I am Caucasian, he's British, I'm American. I really have nothing against interracial stuff, because race doesn't really matter if you're in love.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Infinitely Us Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Taylor

Points: 8,743, Level: 13 Points: 8,743, Level: 13 Points: 8,743, Level: 13

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 06:53 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it but my parents do. If they are a nice person and they have a wonderful personality, I don't see the problem! I think people should date black, white, asian, chinese and anything else they want without being judged! IK know tons of people will disagree, but like I said I don't see anything wrong with it and its my opinion.

*Message me anytime whenever you need advice and someone to talk to!*
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Points: 12,697, Level: 16 Points: 12,697, Level: 16 Points: 12,697, Level: 16

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 09:16 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Nor would I limit myself to just dating certain races, however I find myself more attracted to my own race. Just a personal preference I suppose.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
I dated a Japanese girl, briefly. She was on some kind of student exchange from Tokyo University. Probably the most beautiful girl I've ever dated, and shy in a way that was cute rather than annoying. Blushed a lot. Her English was pretty awful, but she wrote better than she spoke so we communicated by passing notes. Unfortunately it all went pear-shaped when her boyfriend found out ()
Classic.

Anyway, while I'd be lying if I said I don't notice differences in ethnicity on some level it's as much of a non-issue as it can be as far as I'm concerned. I have friends from various different racial and cultural backgrounds and it has no bearing on said friendships, and based on who I have been attracted to in the past it has no bearing on who I date either. Who they are as a person is much more important.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Points: 22,262, Level: 21 Points: 22,262, Level: 21 Points: 22,262, Level: 21

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 09:55 PM

It depends.

I'm attracted to very few men of other races, but then again, I've never really met men of other races, either... So.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aimee

Points: 7,892, Level: 13 Points: 7,892, Level: 13 Points: 7,892, Level: 13

Re: Interracial dating. - September 5th 2011, 11:11 PM

For me, I don't even mind. We're all human beings. As long as they can speak English.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 02:42 AM

I have no problem with interracial relationships. However, the only crushes I've had on people who weren't white happened when I was in first and fourth grade, so they don't count. I'd be willing to be in an interracial relationship if I loved the person, but so far I haven't really had much interest in people who weren't white. I don't know why.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
dinoscool3 Offline
Airline freak
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Fred

Points: 8,041, Level: 13 Points: 8,041, Level: 13 Points: 8,041, Level: 13

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 04:28 AM

Inter-racial is defenatly fine. I, myself, have dated a Bangladeshi girl.

Is this what cows are coming to?
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,809, Level: 12 Points: 7,809, Level: 12 Points: 7,809, Level: 12

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 07:05 AM

I feel that there is nothing wrong with interracial dating. I think people of different races often have widely different upbringings, when two people of divergent backgrounds are attracted to each other and decide to get together, the combination of their individual, unique experiences can work together to create something very special. Being exposed to new cultures, new languages, new foods or becoming familiar with the lifestyle of those living in different countries can all be enriching, allowing for new ways of thinking about life in general.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I've been here a while

Points: 34,930, Level: 26 Points: 34,930, Level: 26 Points: 34,930, Level: 26

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 07:08 AM

I don't have a problem with it, though honestly I'd be uncomfortable dating some one outside of my race.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara. View Post
I don't have a problem with it, though honestly I'd be uncomfortable dating some one outside of my race.
About the same opinion here, it's up to the person, and I don't care either way, but I don't think I would really.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
BUNNIEZ^_^ Offline
Jodie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodie

Points: 9,492, Level: 14 Points: 9,492, Level: 14 Points: 9,492, Level: 14

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 09:49 AM

I have absolutely no problem with it!

My boyfriend of almost 2 years now has a Chilean father and an Irish mother, but he was born in Australia like me The only thing that culturally separates us is his love of spicy food, whereas I can't stand anything more than mild.

At the end of the day it comes down to skin pigmentation and geographical location, really. Alot of people seem to be naive and get worked up over this kinda stuff, which imo is absolutely crazy O.o
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Points: 25,653, Level: 23 Points: 25,653, Level: 23 Points: 25,653, Level: 23

Re: Interracial dating. - September 6th 2011, 04:19 PM

I don't think that race should be a big problem in a relationship at all. I think that letting race be a deciding factor is silly.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
Closed Thread