TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#81 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - March 30th 2020, 01:30 PM

My city has 43 last time I checked. We had a pretty big spike on Saturday. I know they have said that my city has yet to hit it's peak which is quite scary. I am trying to figure out the best way to get groceries delivered and I won't be going out for some time. I have family who is considered high risk and they are still having to go to work. It's quite scary and I worry about them but there isn't much that I can do so I just have to wait it out and hope for the best.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1373440 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#82 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
HelpLINK Officer

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23 Points: 27,349, Level: 23

Re: Corona Virus. - March 30th 2020, 01:40 PM

I work in West Virginia and I am an essential worker. This is all going to get worse before it gets better. My employer is actually paying a few of us staff member to actually STAY in the facility I work at because we have residents that live there. If you can't stay, too bad. You get laid off. I'm working on packing my bags and getting all my toiletries that I need. This virus is getting bad. The CEO told us to expect to be staying at least a month if not more. Nobody in, nobody out. Total lock down.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

Lead Moderator | HelpLINK Officer

(#83 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59

Re: Corona Virus. - March 31st 2020, 04:45 AM

some people on a Facebook group have online game nights, which is at least something to do! It was a great idea.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#84 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Corona Virus. - March 31st 2020, 10:03 PM

The amount of deaths in the UK is worrying for me. The youngest person confirmed so far was a 13 year old today and it wasn't very far away from where I live. London's pretty bad, with the most cases in the UK. Some people yesterday were saying the current restrictions could last 6 months.

I know America, especially New York, are hit pretty bad right now. But it does look like places such as Italy and Spain are having a drop in newly diagnosed cases. Sadly the deaths are still pretty high. I really hope that the curve will start to flatten out everywhere soon.

I hope you're all holding up okay.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#85 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26

Re: Corona Virus. - March 31st 2020, 10:51 PM

My county is up to 76 cases.

One of which is my sister-in-law who was confirmed positive over the weekend. My brother was never tested, but he was also sick and the only person she has been around for the last month so she must have gotten it from him. The hardest thing right now is that my brother's birthday is on Friday, and we can't go over and celebrate with him. And it isn't possible for us to get any presents for him. Its rough.

I know two people who were tested and came back negative. As well as a co-worker of my boyfriend. And we also have a family friend who has been tested, has all the symptoms, but hasn't confirmed anywhere what the results were.

Driving around my area reminds me of traveling on Christmas or Thanksgiving, the traffic is so light because almost everything is closed. Yesterday I drove by the major testing site in my city, and it was one of those moments of realizing how real this is. Because when you stay home, you only really see stuff online and hear the news. But seeing things like that for yourself is different.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
  (#86 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59 Points: 172,438, Level: 59

Re: Corona Virus. - April 1st 2020, 03:26 AM

The first person in my city has died. He was in his 40s.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#87 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,579, Level: 42 Points: 88,579, Level: 42 Points: 88,579, Level: 42

Re: Corona Virus. - April 1st 2020, 06:24 AM

Australia has had a big spike in the number of positive cases as well. There's more restrictions that they've put in place but no-one seems to be listening at the moment.

(#88 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Corona Virus. - April 1st 2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen. View Post
Australia has had a big spike in the number of positive cases as well. There's more restrictions that they've put in place but no-one seems to be listening at the moment.
I've noticed that in quite a few countries. I'm wondering if it's a combination of not understanding the seriousness of the situation, and the fact that in quite a few countries, the case-to-population ratio is considered pretty low.
  (#89 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 1st 2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
My city has 43 last time I checked. We had a pretty big spike on Saturday. I know they have said that my city has yet to hit it's peak which is quite scary. I am trying to figure out the best way to get groceries delivered and I won't be going out for some time. I have family who is considered high risk and they are still having to go to work. It's quite scary and I worry about them but there isn't much that I can do so I just have to wait it out and hope for the best.
I am so sorry to hear that your loved ones are at risk and having to go into work through all this. I know it's not much, but I will keep you all in my thoughts. Sending strength and warmth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilient Pumpkin View Post
I work in West Virginia and I am an essential worker. This is all going to get worse before it gets better. My employer is actually paying a few of us staff member to actually STAY in the facility I work at because we have residents that live there. If you can't stay, too bad. You get laid off. I'm working on packing my bags and getting all my toiletries that I need. This virus is getting bad. The CEO told us to expect to be staying at least a month if not more. Nobody in, nobody out. Total lock down.
Wow, that is scary! Thank you so much for the work that you're doing. That can't be easy by any means. Sending strength, even though I know it's not much right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post
My county is up to 76 cases.

One of which is my sister-in-law who was confirmed positive over the weekend. My brother was never tested, but he was also sick and the only person she has been around for the last month so she must have gotten it from him. The hardest thing right now is that my brother's birthday is on Friday, and we can't go over and celebrate with him. And it isn't possible for us to get any presents for him. Its rough.

I know two people who were tested and came back negative. As well as a co-worker of my boyfriend. And we also have a family friend who has been tested, has all the symptoms, but hasn't confirmed anywhere what the results were.

Driving around my area reminds me of traveling on Christmas or Thanksgiving, the traffic is so light because almost everything is closed. Yesterday I drove by the major testing site in my city, and it was one of those moments of realizing how real this is. Because when you stay home, you only really see stuff online and hear the news. But seeing things like that for yourself is different.
So sorry to hear all this. <3 I wish you and your family continued health, and I hope your sister-in-law recovers quickly. I completely agree... I went for a short walk around my neighborhood yesterday and it was eerie to see how quiet the street was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
The amount of deaths in the UK is worrying for me. The youngest person confirmed so far was a 13 year old today and it wasn't very far away from where I live. London's pretty bad, with the most cases in the UK. Some people yesterday were saying the current restrictions could last 6 months.
So sad. I know we've had one or two infants here pass away from the virus, as well as a 17-year-old kid from California. I find it very worrying as well. <3

Hope everyone is doing okay. I'm definitely having a hard time with it all myself. Hanging in there, though. Trying to find ways to relax. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and wish everybody the best. <3

~Kylie
  (#90 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 1st 2020, 10:07 PM

So people are idiots. I live near a city with a well-known university. Apparently a bunch of students completely ignored directions for social distancing put in place on local and state levels and went to the beach for spring break. Almost half of them came back testing positive for COVID-19.

When will people learn? Yeah, I know it's hard to not really go anywhere or do anything, but this isn't just about YOU. This is about protecting the vulnerable, too. Yeah, you may not get really sick, but someone else could. Someone else could, and very well might, die because you couldn't stand the thought of not getting to splash around in the ocean.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#91 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
So people are idiots. I live near a city with a well-known university. Apparently a bunch of students completely ignored directions for social distancing put in place on local and state levels and went to the beach for spring break. Almost half of them came back testing positive for COVID-19.

When will people learn? Yeah, I know it's hard to not really go anywhere or do anything, but this isn't just about YOU. This is about protecting the vulnerable, too. Yeah, you may not get really sick, but someone else could. Someone else could, and very well might, die because you couldn't stand the thought of not getting to splash around in the ocean.
As harsh as it may sound, it's their own fault. They didn't heed the numerous warnings and here they are. It's their own doing that they caught it. Their own stupidity. It's now the people they come into contact with next that concerns me.

There's a post office within a chemist where I live, and there's a huge sign (3 of them actually) on the door that says 'no more than FOUR people at a time please'. Many of us were heeding the warning and taking the advice to stand 2 metres apart. Even queuing outside in the cold to ensure there were only 4 people inside at a time since it's not very big inside. When it was finally my time to be served, I turned around and there were 6 people in the room. The area is already cramped and all it takes is one person to infect everybody else.

I know it can be fatal to even those without any health issues, but I worry about the fact I could bring it back home. My uncle has asthma and I wouldn't want to pass it on to him. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him because of me.
  (#92 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post

I've noticed that in quite a few countries. I'm wondering if it's a combination of not understanding the seriousness of the situation, and the fact that in quite a few countries, the case-to-population ratio is considered pretty low.
There's still people going out to the beach and what not. It's ridiculous.

(#93 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 04:25 AM

I think part of the issue has to do with the information that was shared at the beginning.

I remember when this was first effecting just China mainly, it was talked about how it was mainly effecting elderly. And that young people weren't getting as sick. But now that it is spreading to other countries and they are learning more, they are realizing that information is WRONG.

And I'm noticing people haven't been paying attention to the new info. And I notice it mostly by paying attention to college students, and I am in no way bias against college students. But the story of the group of college students who continued to have spring break on a beach in Florida, and over half of them have now tested positive. And more and more stories like that are showing up. I've heard stories from my own city, I live in a small city with technically 3 colleges in the area. And people are sharing stories of seeing groups of college students who stayed here, all still hanging out and taking pictures together as large groups.

My boyfriend lives in the next state over from me, and because of us not being together, and the fact he is still working and lives with his parents who are both high risk. I pay attention to the news from his area. And the state daily puts out demographics of how many of the positive tests are in which age group. Over 40% of them in his state are in the 20-45 age group. But with the majority of the deaths and hospitalizations in the 65+ age demographic. I know in my state, which has the highest numbers in the US. The demographics are similar. My brother and sister-in-law who both have it? Both early 30s.

(#94 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 05:06 AM

I think people are selfish. People think it's only the elderly and high risk who are dying so the younger people with not real risk are going out even though they've been told that they could be carriers who are asymptomatic. I've seen people comment about how this is all stupid and it's only a small percentage of the population who are dying as if that population is not important.

I've been doing my best to social distance. I have to go out in the next few days for toilet paper (we aren't low but I don't want to run low when this hits it peak especially due to how many cases my county has). After I get toilet paper I shouldn't need to go out too much. There are items I might need to pick up at my dad's periodically but he's going to leave them on his back porch. He said he'll spray them down with disinfectant and when I get home I'll do similarly.

My county isn't taking it seriously either. Just today we were told that parks will be closed because people were still utilizing them and it's dangerous. We have 82 or 83 cases here.

Wish me luck in the next few days when I have to go out. My anxiety is kicking my butt.
  (#95 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 05:55 AM

My sister was exposed. Where she works is considered essential and she’s had coworkers she’s spoken to test positive. I was nervous before but now I’m worried because with the way our house is set up, she can transmit it. She’s had pneumonia in the past few months so her own lungs are weak. She could also give it to me and I’m asthmatic, my parents who are old and my father has a heart and lung condition, me who has asthma, my brother in law, or my niece. My niece has an inhaler but doesn’t use it often but I think she has at least mild asthma herself. My mom said nobody from her part of the apartment is to come near us. I hope she doesn’t get it or pass it on.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#96 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23 Points: 26,047, Level: 23

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 01:24 PM

My state is at almost 1600 positive cases, over 10 deaths so far. My county is almost at 150 cases, a neighboring county is close to 250 cases. The rest of the state finally got a stay-at-home order earlier this week.

I've never seen so many people out and about, not even keeping distance from each other.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.
  (#97 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Wish me luck in the next few days when I have to go out. My anxiety is kicking my butt.
Sending strength. <3 I had to go out not too long ago as well and it made me quite anxious, so I know what you mean. You can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
My sister was exposed. Where she works is considered essential and she’s had coworkers she’s spoken to test positive. I was nervous before but now I’m worried because with the way our house is set up, she can transmit it. She’s had pneumonia in the past few months so her own lungs are weak. She could also give it to me and I’m asthmatic, my parents who are old and my father has a heart and lung condition, me who has asthma, my brother in law, or my niece. My niece has an inhaler but doesn’t use it often but I think she has at least mild asthma herself. My mom said nobody from her part of the apartment is to come near us. I hope she doesn’t get it or pass it on.
Sorry to hear this. I'll be sure to keep you all in my thoughts. I hope you all stay safe and well!

My state seems to be doing fairly well with the stay-at-home order, at least in my particular area. I'm feeling a little bit encouraged because of that, though I know it hasn't been great elsewhere. I really don't understand what's driving people to go outside... Seems crazy to me, but yeah, it definitely seems like a lot of people haven't grasped the gravity of the situation. When I first heard about it, I also didn't see it as a huge threat, but you'd think people would have figured it out by now.

~Kylie
  (#98 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 03:29 PM

I'm trying not to freak out right now. In the beginning of all this I was like sure, it's fine; my roommate and I will just socially isolate. Not go anywhere unless absolutely necessary. No one in or out except food delivery. But now there are people, some in their twenties, who were relatively healthy before contracting the virus and ended up dying.

I've heard death due to COVID-19 is very lonely because no one is allowed to be with you and I don't want that. I've worked too damn hard to get sick and die of this illness. I am also scared because my friend posted a status on Facebook about how, if she were to get sick, she probably wouldn't be given the care she needed because she's fat and disabled and generally considered to have a low quality of life. I am those things, too. Does that mean they'd choose not to spare my life if they had to? I mean I get it. If it was down to me and say, a person who researches cures for cancer, they'd probably choose to give the ventilator to that person. I mean I get why they'd do that but it still sucks because I'd die.

I don't know. I'm just spiraling and freaking out.
  (#99 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
I'm trying not to freak out right now. In the beginning of all this I was like sure, it's fine; my roommate and I will just socially isolate. Not go anywhere unless absolutely necessary. No one in or out except food delivery. But now there are people, some in their twenties, who were relatively healthy before contracting the virus and ended up dying.

I've heard death due to COVID-19 is very lonely because no one is allowed to be with you and I don't want that. I've worked too damn hard to get sick and die of this illness. I am also scared because my friend posted a status on Facebook about how, if she were to get sick, she probably wouldn't be given the care she needed because she's fat and disabled and generally considered to have a low quality of life. I am those things, too. Does that mean they'd choose not to spare my life if they had to? I mean I get it. If it was down to me and say, a person who researches cures for cancer, they'd probably choose to give the ventilator to that person. I mean I get why they'd do that but it still sucks because I'd die.

I don't know. I'm just spiraling and freaking out.
I've also been spiraling a bit. I know what you mean. But we can do our best to self-isolate until they find some kind of drug, so that if people do get sick, they can be treated. It will also help with the overcrowding of the hospitals. I believe they are beginning to find treatments that look promising.
  (#100 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I've been struggling more lately too. Even though me and my brothers haven't left the house since the lockdown began, I worry about my mum as she's still working, though I'd prefer her not to. More frustrating that I know there are some people who aren't abiding by the social distancing rules.

When it first started, I remember thinking the media was just exaggerating. I still took it seriously though and would avoid touching things in public, wash my hands as soon as I got into university and as soon as I come back home. But I never thought it would've got this bad. WHO just announced we passed the 1 million mark of coronavirus cases globally. It's really hard to take in.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#101 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 10:04 PM

Same here. I wasn't worried about it at all until things started to go crazy a couple weeks ago. We all fully expected to go back to school after spring break... I never would have thought it'd spread like this here. I originally just thought it would be a lot of handwashing and disinfecting; I didn't think the entire world was going to be locked down.

Will be thinking of your mom, Holly! Hope she stays safe.

~Kylie
  (#102 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 2nd 2020, 10:22 PM

Good news, my sister said she thinks that she got exposed at least two weeks ago so she's past the incubation window!

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#103 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - April 3rd 2020, 08:37 AM

I think this has taken a toll on a lot of people, both mentally and physically. I know it may be hard right now, but it does get better.

(#104 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 3rd 2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Good news, my sister said she thinks that she got exposed at least two weeks ago so she's past the incubation window!
Oh, yay!! That's such awesome news!! I'm so happy to hear that! May you all stay safe and well.

Yeah, I keep trying to remind myself that this won't last forever. Doing my best to stay positive.
  (#105 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - April 3rd 2020, 06:44 PM

A small thing that has been cracking my family up.

So almost a month ago my brother got sick, and it was bad for about 2 weeks. Right as he was getting better, my sister-in-law got sick and she got a test ASAP for COVID-19, while my brother spent the entire time refusing to get a test done. My sister-in-law tested positive for COVID-19. Put the entire household on quarantine.

The good news? Everyone has recovered and is fine. My sister-in-law was taken off quarantine yesterday because she hasn't shown symptoms for days.

My brother though? He is under quarantine till the 11th, even though HE ALREADY HAD IT. But because he wasn't tested the health department is insisting on him staying quarantined. So my sister-in-law who tested positive and is better? She isn't on quarantine. My brother who was a dumbass and refused to get tested and has been better longer than she has? Can't leave for another week.

We have been finding this hilarious. I think partly because we can relax and know they are fine.

But I also share this story so that people can see more stories about people recovering from this illness no problem.

(#106 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 01:40 AM

So yesterday, I mentioned our state was around 1600 cases. This morning, it reached almost 2100...

I'm really losing myself. Too bad I can't do anything to improve anything.

(#107 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 03:22 AM

My city has close to five hundred cases. To give you an idea of how fast it's spreading, less than two weeks ago the number was around fifty. Thankfully here there have only been four deaths so far but it does mean the disease is spreading rapidly, no thanks to those kids I mentioned earlier on Spring Break.
  (#108 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 04:12 AM

In Australia, there's over 5,000 cases now.

(#109 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,591, Level: 46 Points: 106,591, Level: 46 Points: 106,591, Level: 46

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen. View Post
In Australia, there's over 5,000 cases now.
I think it's important to consider the context rather than just the raw numbers in this case. Although we're obviously still reporting new cases the growth rate is significantly lower than it was a couple of weeks ago, which is early evidence that the social distancing and hygiene measures being instituted are helping to flatten the curve. Australia also has a comparatively high level of testing, so higher numbers aren't necessarily a bad thing - and lower numbers don't mean a lower incidence of the virus, it could easily mean that they aren't being detected. So while the number itself might be alarming, it's actually a lot lower than it could have been.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#110 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 05:49 PM

Over 2400 positive cases in my state as of this morning.

(#111 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount57

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
The good news? Everyone has recovered and is fine. My sister-in-law was taken off quarantine yesterday because she hasn't shown symptoms for days.

My brother though? He is under quarantine till the 11th, even though HE ALREADY HAD IT. But because he wasn't tested the health department is insisting on him staying quarantined. So my sister-in-law who tested positive and is better? She isn't on quarantine. My brother who was a dumbass and refused to get tested and has been better longer than she has? Can't leave for another week.
Ooh, ouch. That's rough. So glad everyone has recovered okay! Always good to hear the success stories!

Sending everyone hope and strength. There are over 10,000 cases in my state at this point, but I'm feeling strangely calm and maybe even a little bit hopeful. I think I've finally gotten the panic out of my system. For now we're not at any risk of getting the virus as we're staying home, so I feel safe for the moment. We'll see how things unfold as we get farther along.

~Kylie
  (#112 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 10:21 PM

More people my sister worked with were found to be positive.
Our rates are still increasing. Our governor called our area a hot spot, especially because of its proximity to major areas like NYC.

'Cause you gotta survive
  (#113 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - April 4th 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
More people my sister worked with were found to be positive.
Our rates are still increasing. Our governor called our area a hot spot, especially because of its proximity to major areas like NYC.
Oh jeez, a little close! I've been thinking of you and your family.

Its not even worth me mentioning the numbers in my state, cause I live in New York and the numbers look awful and are just getting worse. They announced today that we are about a week away from the apex, which is good. But terrifying because of how bad things are now.

I am thankful my city has stepped up and is being safe. My family is pretty much planning to stay home for the next few weeks as much as we can, currently trying grocery pick up.

But something to remember about the numbers, I've noticed a LOT of media just saying "There is ___ number of cases today" But they don't include the number of recovered. It is just the number of positive tests.

I know in my city, we currently have 95 positive tests. But 54 of those have recovered. So just be aware of that, that the number might now be as bad as it looks, or it might. Depends on how your area is reporting things. Don't know if this info will help calm some people, or not. But thought it was worth throwing out there.

A city next to where my boyfriend lives was just declared a hot spot today. They have a curfew starting tonight. And I know someone who works at the hospital in that city.

(#114 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - April 5th 2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counted Heart. View Post

I think it's important to consider the context rather than just the raw numbers in this case. Although we're obviously still reporting new cases the growth rate is significantly lower than it was a couple of weeks ago, which is early evidence that the social distancing and hygiene measures being instituted are helping to flatten the curve. Australia also has a comparatively high level of testing, so higher numbers aren't necessarily a bad thing - and lower numbers don't mean a lower incidence of the virus, it could easily mean that they aren't being detected. So while the number itself might be alarming, it's actually a lot lower than it could have been.
I understand what you're saying (it's great that the curve is flattening) and I know that in comparison to other countries, it is ALOT lower but people still seem to be ignoring the precautions. Backpackers still think it's OK to be congregating together for parties on several occasions.

(#115 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Corona Virus. - April 5th 2020, 11:02 AM

Over the weekend the weather here has got a lot warmer, and so the police have had to break up large gatherings of people in parks. They found over 3000 people catching up with friends and sunbathing as well as having BBQs in the sun. I read a headline which said they're considering banning all outdoor exercise because of the few people who can't stay indoors for the benefit of others.

Quote:
But something to remember about the numbers, I've noticed a LOT of media just saying "There is ___ number of cases today" But they don't include the number of recovered. It is just the number of positive tests.
This is a really good point, I wish they reported things like this as well as the positive test and death figures. Every day more and more people are recovering. The UK doesn't seem to be reporting these figures as far as I can tell. It would definitely help to see that people are getting better.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#116 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 5th 2020, 11:58 AM

My county has 100 cases as of Friday and we had our first death.

I'm glad Sarah shared a more positive story about her brother and sister in law recovering. Covid-19 should definitely be taken serious but I also feel like we are being bombarded with the number of deaths and not being allowed to see that a lot of people are recovering/only have mild symptoms. That's not to say we shouldn't still be social distancing or anything. I know there's a lot of asymptomatic people and we don't want to overwhelm the Healthcare system. For me, it has just been overwhelming when I see story after story about someone dying. It terrifies me. Makes me worry about my family. My dad's partner works at a hospital and neither of them are healthy so I get worried they'll get sick and die. Hearing a more positive story help with the fear.
  (#117 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,591, Level: 18 Points: 16,591, Level: 18 Points: 16,591, Level: 18

Re: Corona Virus. - April 6th 2020, 05:53 AM

I think that a large part of the problem is that media has cried wolf so many times with hyping. Bird flu was going to kill us all in the 2000s (they talked about that in the media constantly but not much came of it), then swine flu (turned out to be the number 1 cause of flu in 2009 but it really just turned out to be an ordinary flu), then ebola in 2014 was going to "possibly outbreak in the US", then in 2016 it was Zika that was going to be the next big thing and also cause lots of birth defects--now we dont hear about Zika.

When I first heard about Coronavirus I just assumed it was more hype at first. Then I thought it was one of those things that "everyone else" was worried about but probably wouldnt turn into anything. A lot of Americans felt the same. I was one of those beach goers in Florida not paying heed to the seriousness of the situation during spring break.

But now- shit has hit the fan and now I realize this is real. I think we went so many years without a "real" pandemic that it felt impossible to occur. I dont think anyone really feared an ebola outbreak in the US or anything- it was just "fun to speculate on hypothetical scenarios" by the media and the general public. Now we are paying the price because there is no way that Americans would have stood for all this shutdown a couple of months ago when it was not taken so seriously. Trump did a poor job in predicting what would happen but even if he had the facts right I think it would have been impossible to implement this in the US any earlier than late Feb/March. In January- I think the average american thought of coronavirus as some "foreign disease" , while in february it was seen as maybe a repeat of the 2009 swine flu. If they tried to shutter businesses then , there would be so much protest it would be unbelievable.

This is wrecking the economy and convincing Americans that that is a fair trade off is a tough sell. I don't think it would have been politically possible to have done that until it actually got real in the US. People don't think as much about a virus in a faraway land (there are lots of foreign diseases that carry no risk to Americans- malaria, SARS in 2003, etc. ) and there is no way that shuttering the economy "just in case this thing comes here" would be accepted politically. Even if that politician did prevent the outbreak- they would be a hero, but would only be recognized as the "incompetent person who ruined the best economy ever over "the flu". They would definitely stand no chance of re-election.

Also: why the fuck is everyone blaming Trump while at the same time insisting we not call this the Chinese disease? China LITERALLY arrested the doctor(Li Wenliang) who made the coronavirus public to the world just before New years. How can anyone believe that China was not trying to cover this up? December was only when the whistleblower decided to do the heroic thing and make things public. I am fully convinced that the virus probably evolved in October or even September...and then started peaking in December/January for China.

China did not have proper sanitary policies in place to ensure that food is handled properly. Meat markets are highly unhygienic. The conditions at the meat markets made it much more possible for some virus to be transmitted to humans via genetic mutation. The first SARS coronavirus came from China- now it has happened again, but a lot worse. Yet it somehow racist to criticize the Chinese government? I do not hate Chinese people, but the fact is , is that China's government did a terrible job. Lots of diverted attention to the fact that China "eradicated" the virus already--but that is only because they don't care about the individual. Need meds? Food? Out of luck. Only such a strict regime could implement such a policy. We are doing social distancing in America because we recognize the fact that Americans need to go out to get food , meds, etc. So a total lockdown is not really possible.

Few people seem to care that alerting the world to what is clearly now a global health and economic crisis was seen as illegal and unacceptable to Chinese authorities....because that is too politically incorrect for some people who would rather criticize the "evil" Trump.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; April 6th 2020 at 06:37 AM.
  (#118 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - April 6th 2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
Over the weekend the weather here has got a lot warmer, and so the police have had to break up large gatherings of people in parks. They found over 3000 people catching up with friends and sunbathing as well as having BBQs in the sun. I read a headline which said they're considering banning all outdoor exercise because of the few people who can't stay indoors for the benefit of others.
People are doing it over here, too. The community are just congregating at the beach and not taking any precautions.

(#119 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,591, Level: 46 Points: 106,591, Level: 46 Points: 106,591, Level: 46

Re: Corona Virus. - April 6th 2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Also: why the fuck is everyone blaming Trump while at the same time insisting we not call this the Chinese disease?
Because there is a huge difference between rightfully criticising a nation's government and throwing an entire group of people under the bus to save face. The virus and the disease it causes already have a name, and it's really not common custom to name new diseases after their country of origin; if you look back at recent epidemics, at most they've been named for the region or a geographical feature nearby. Referring to the virus by the country where it was first recorded, especially in this political climate, is careless at best and intentionally inflammatory at worst. If you look at press releases from a couple of weeks back you'll notice that Trump's attitude is quite retaliatory and accusatory, and then self-aggrandising when he decided not to use a term he shouldn't have been using to begin with.

Part of the reason WHO chose the name it did was to avoid placing blame and being divisive, and, honestly, I've yet to come across a single instance of someone calling it "the Chinese virus" that wasn't then followed by something racist or xenophobic. It's not the government that's going to feel the heat from this, it's the ordinary people just trying to live their lives who will now be dealing with heightened levels of racism (including actual physical violence) for something they have absolutely no control over. Is that really something you want to defend?

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#120 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - April 6th 2020, 11:17 PM

I've seen on Wikipedia that coronavirus is a generic label of the virus famly, and COVID-19 is the specific strain of a coronavirus. The 19 is the year it was discovered. We just got in the habit of referring to it as coronavirus, when it's a generic term.

Source.

I will admit that I prefer using the incorrect generic term than to use something derogatory and xenophobic.
Closed Thread