TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
makeupshadow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lauren

Points: 9,052, Level: 13 Points: 9,052, Level: 13 Points: 9,052, Level: 13

Question What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 03:00 AM

This Question is a really interesting one for me to ask because so many people have so many different opinions and thoughts on it.
So, heres my thought: knowing me im pretty sure i would immediately either cry, or feel my stomach and then cry. um...i think in the end my decision would be to immediately take the abortion pill or the surgical abortion without thinking it through for myself. i would notify my mom or whoever the father was at least so they were prepared for what was gunna happen but, i just think some girls just have to think rationally instead of letting those happy emotions set in. its like when u find a lost kitty on the sidewalk, take it home and ask "mommy can we keep it please?!" its like u know it may have a home but u let the emotions set in.
the reason why i think this for only SOME GIRLS, is because it depends on what career they want, how many important things are happening to them in the future, and just the fact if they are really ready for a kid because i hear labor is extremely painful, and it is hectic to raise a kid evem thought u love em, the choice of keeping that child, makes u lose your priviledges as a kid yourself. my thoughts. whats yours?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16 Points: 13,420, Level: 16

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 03:08 AM

Personally speaking ONLY PERSONALLY SPEAKING: I would cry, tell my mother, and make an appointment for an abortion. Simple as that.

Rationale: I need to go to college. I need to work. My rheumatologist advised me not to get pregnant at this stage in my life because it could make my arthritis worse. I'm on medicine that causes major birth defects. I can't have a baby and not ruin my life at the same time.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 03:33 AM

I honestly don't know what I would do. I mean, obviously, I'm not a teenager, but personally speaking for myself (if I were a teenager), I'd probably either keep him/her or put him/her up for adoption. I'm pro-choice, but abortion isn't for ME personally.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27 Points: 37,460, Level: 27

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 04:38 PM

I am 18, still a "teen" but legally an adult. But anyways, if I were to find out I'm pregnant right this instant, I would not be happy. I'm going to college, I have an undiagnosed medical problem, and I am unemployed. However, I am pro-life so abortion is never an option for me. I also wouldn't feel right with giving MY baby up for adoption. Its good for some people, but its not for me. Witht aht said, id drop my full time course load to part time, acquire a part time job, and move in with my boyfriend. It would be hard but we both decided that if it were to happen, we'd work our butts off for our little one.

That's just my opinion and view. As someone who's already had two miscarriages, a baby would be a blessing at any age and i'd do everything for him/her.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 05:07 PM

Honestly and truly, I only agree with abortion in very very extreme circumstances. Like if I was going to die giving birth, or if the baby wasn't going to live. Even if the child was going to be disabled, I wouldn't abort it. I know it sounds like I'd ruin my life, but honestly, I'm so so against abortion that I wouldn't even consider it unless one of us would die.

As for putting the child up for adoption, it depends. If my family could help support me, and if the father was still around, I'd probably keep it, but if I had no stability, I might consider adoption. But abortion is a total no-no for me personally.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 05:33 PM

I can say without a doubt I would have kept it. I was one of those teenagers that almost secretly wanted it to happen.

BUT If I hadn't been so very, very naive and had like an older self to come and enlighten me on how incredibly difficult and expensive it is I hope I would have chosen to abort. I'm lucky it happened when it did and that I was financially stable and with a partner who was willing to stick by me and my decision. I can only imagine how hard and exhausting my life would be right now if I'd gotten pregnant at 16 to be honest. There is no reason to make life harder than it needs to be and I've realized that there is plenty of time for everything, especially having kids.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Points: 14,336, Level: 17 Points: 14,336, Level: 17 Points: 14,336, Level: 17

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 07:42 PM

Personally, at the moment, with me not in a relationship and not about to get pregnant, I'd keep the baby, I don't know what the hell I would do if I was, but I'd probably talk to my mother and end up keeping the baby or giving the child up for adoption to someone I could trust. My high school has an amazing daycare, and is open to teen mothers as long as they have good grades, good attendance, and pick their children up on time. I don't really have a social life, and I know I could have help from my parents.

^^' I think I'd only choose abortion if it's a health risk... but I don't really know since I am not pregnant and not planning to any time soon.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 14,658, Level: 17 Points: 14,658, Level: 17 Points: 14,658, Level: 17

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 07:54 PM

First I would be kinda shocked and maybe do one of thoes weird suprised squeaky screams lol. Then I would start to panic worrying about what everyone will think and what I am going to do. Then I would tell my bf and my parents and once they are all done being mad i would be excited cuz i love kids then at my first appointment i would be afraid and yeah lol i would go through with it and do my best to support it.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 08:50 PM

I would cry and tell my mother at first. My mother and I both don't believe in abortion except in rare cases, such as the baby or the mother dying because of the pregnancy, or because of rape, so I doubt I'd get an abortion. I just don't think I could bring myself to do that. I would probably try and keep the child if I were allowed to, and if not give it up for adoption.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
millerdancer15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Points: 7,726, Level: 12 Points: 7,726, Level: 12 Points: 7,726, Level: 12

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 09:01 PM

If I found out I was pregnant... Well, knowing me, this would be highly unlikely unless something unusual happened... But things do happen. So, my mom has talked with me about this because both her and my grandmother have gotten pregnant young and unwed. They both chose to keep the babies, because they were a little older(About middle of college). My family and I are all very pro-life, so of course my mom told me that if I got pregnant, no matter what the circumstances, that I should keep it and my mom would help me take care of it.

It would work for me, and I would have the support for my friends and family, so I probably would just sit with a shocked expression at first then embrace the fact that I'm going to be a mother for the rest of my life!

However, I do acknowledge that it's not the best decision for other people, and I'm okay with that. I'd rather they choose adoption, but their choices are their choices, I can't change them.

People don't cry because they are weak. People cry because they have been strong for too long.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 10:43 PM

I would not have gotten pregnant as a teenager, but if I had I would've carried the child and then placed him or her for adoption. While I have nothing against people who have abortions, I lean towards pro life and I know that I could never go through with one. I couldn't take care of myself and I still can't, so keeping the baby would not be an option no matter how much I would want to.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Points: 13,188, Level: 16 Points: 13,188, Level: 16 Points: 13,188, Level: 16

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - January 31st 2012, 10:58 PM

Technically I'm not a teenager anymore as I turned 20 in December but at this point in my life I know it would still scare me to be pregnant. I love kids and babies and I've spent most of my life babysitting when my other friends were out partying and it is pretty easy for me to sit here and type this and say that I'd be ready for the responsibilities parenthood would throw my way but I know I wouldn't be. is anyone ever ready for the responsibilities of a child?

All of those things being said I've also wanted a baby for as long as I can remember and I absolutely can't wait to have one of my own when the time is right. I know I could never abort a baby and personally I probably wouldn't ever consider adoption either. I could never go through with either case of losing my child. I never put myself in the situation where I could have become pregnant as a teenager but if I was to have put myself in that situation and become pregnant I'd feel a need to do whatever I could to provide for and care for my baby. If I'm going to be having sex with someone and I found myself with the responsibility of a baby after I couldn't shirk that responsibility. I shall try and avoid my rant about those who choose to abort their babies without much other consideration or use the mornin fter pill though. My stance on abortion is one of the few that is strong in my mind and probably better suited to a different forum :P.

Anyways...without a doubt I'd keep the baby. I'd be scared and it would be hard btu I couldn't live with myself if I didn't
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
AmiFey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,733, Level: 15 Points: 11,733, Level: 15 Points: 11,733, Level: 15

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 01:48 AM

If I was pregnant, I wouldn't be able to murder the baby unless the doctors were absolutely certain I would die from it. Even if it was a child of rape. I know that sounds odd, but when I think about how it isn't the child's fault he or she was created through something like that, I can't help it.

Most likely, considering the fact that I don't have a stable job nor have finished my education, I would give the child up for adoption. Not for myself, but for the baby. If I could, I would like an open adoption so I could still see my child and be in his or her life, even if it's partially from afar so he could stay attached to his adoptive parents without confusion. I just couldn't leave someone I'd kept under my heart for nine months and not have anything to do with them anymore... So yeah, to sum it up, I'd go for open adoption.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Points: 44,905, Level: 30 Points: 44,905, Level: 30 Points: 44,905, Level: 30

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 01:59 AM

I would have a little pity party, and then when it was over, I'd think, think, and think some more. I'd try my best to make the right decision for my child. Though I believe in a woman's right to choose, abortion isn't for me; I just couldn't do it. It would haunt me for the rest of my life. Honestly, I think I would keep the baby. Telling my loved ones would be really hard, but I think I'd get their full support and help as they warmed to the idea and realized it would be what I wanted. I know that raising a child is extremely hard and I probably can't even imagine how difficult it would be, but I would want to keep him or her and give them the best life I possibly could.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,930, Level: 13 Points: 8,930, Level: 13 Points: 8,930, Level: 13

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 02:11 AM

I would have an abortion. If I were to have a baby in forty weeks, that would severely hurt my college education, not to mention my health and expenses.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Points: 12,664, Level: 16 Points: 12,664, Level: 16 Points: 12,664, Level: 16

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 04:17 AM

I know flat out that I would NEVER, EVER abort my child. I used to think maybe I would if I were to die giving birth to it, but im starting to think even then, I wouldn't do it. Thats your child, no matter how big it is at the time. You live with that for the rest of your life. Hell yeah it would be hard having a baby as a teen, i'm not gonna lie. But I couldn't really put my kid up for adoption ether so I know i'd prob keep my baby. I've always wanted a child really and i'd do whatever I possibly could to give it as good a life as any other child.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24 Points: 28,990, Level: 24

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 08:39 AM

For me personally, if I found out right now that I was pregnant, I would probably pull up my shirt, touch my stomach and start crying. But I know that I would keep it. I would wait until my mom wasn't at work or sleeping, and have her sit down with my aunt then tell them straight out, "Mom, Aunt Beck, I'm sorry, but I'm pregnant," and then I would probably proceed to break down crying. But overall, I would plan to keep the baby and continue on with high school then still go into beauty school like a I plan to part time to learn to be a nail technician.

My parents and I have already talked about what would happen if I were to get pregnant young, and for me abortion is out of the question unless it's life or death. I'm pro-choice, but personally, I couldn't handle an abortion emotionally. My parents have already said if anything like that ever happened, they would be by me 100% and help me in any way I might need.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Points: 14,168, Level: 17 Points: 14,168, Level: 17 Points: 14,168, Level: 17

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 11:17 AM

I wouldn't abort it. I just don't like the thought of abortion. Most probably I would put him/her up for adoption.

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#19 (permalink)) Old
BethGoesRawr Offline
JustBethReally
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Points: 15,798, Level: 18 Points: 15,798, Level: 18 Points: 15,798, Level: 18

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 01:48 PM

Cry alot, go doctors and find out who the daddy is, tell the daddy he is the father of my dot, decide to keep baby or not THEN tell my mum
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25 Points: 30,098, Level: 25

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 1st 2012, 06:15 PM

I'm against abortion except in certain circumstances, such as the mother's life being endangered.

Honestly, I've already had this talk with my boyfriend. We agreed that if I were to become pregnant, we would raise the child together. He would want me to move in with him and his family as soon as possible, and he would take full responsibility and help me through it all.

And honestly, even if he was the type of guy to try to abandon a girl after getting her pregnant, his parents aren't. If he tried to pull a stunt like that they'd be seriously pissed and tell him he WILL help me raise it.

As for telling my parents, not sure how I'd go about that.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 4th 2012, 05:20 PM

I've had this talk with my boyfriend as well.
We decided if I got pregnant we would keep it. He is moving into a house with some friends soon, which I'll probably move in too anyway. His friends would all help us raise it, by helping babysit. I know my family and friends would help as well. One of my friends Taylor is really rich, and he said he would help pay for everything
Obviously I don't want to get pregnant when I'm only 16, but it is comforting to know that things would probably be okay.
I'm pro-choice, but I just don't think I could go through with an abortion.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23 Points: 25,799, Level: 23

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 4th 2012, 06:28 PM

I would keep the baby. I can't just give him/her up. I can't make a child go through a life without knowing the actual mom.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Points: 24,318, Level: 22 Points: 24,318, Level: 22 Points: 24,318, Level: 22

Re: What would u do if u found out u were pregnant and still a teenager? - February 4th 2012, 06:55 PM

Highly unlikely for me but if it did I'd probably panic and just not know what to do, I'd tell my boyfriend first and talk it over and decide with him what we need to do, I'd tell my sister and THEN my parents. My boyfriend is older than me by 9 years so I think he'd be a good father and husband so I think I could trust him to help me make the right decision. After all it is his child as well.

Also as for where I'd get the money to take care of it my dreams of being a professional fighter would be shattered for at least a couple years. I'd probably get a part time job at wal mart or mcdonalds or SOMETHING...my boyfriend has already got a career but i wanted to be a fighter or PT, if i got pregnant i'd work as long as i could then probablly be a stay at home mom for a while

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.
Closed Thread