TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#281 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Corona Virus. - October 6th 2020, 07:04 PM

My assistant gym manager apparently lost her sense of taste and smell over the weekend. She then tested positive for coronavirus.

Just last Tuesday I was in the office with her, alone, with no mask on, not even a foot apart. I have no idea how long she'd been incubating it for, but I feel very worried.

I've temperature checked myself each time I went into work and I have no fever. I still have a sense of smell and taste, as well as no cough or shortness of breath. However, who knows if I'm now incubating it. I'm really scared to even get tested because it means I can't work. But if I don't that means I could be spreading it too.

I told my mum about it and she hasn't bothered to let my uncle know despite the fact he's extremely vulnerable as he has asthma. She wants ME to tell him.... but that's so stupid because I could now pass it on to him if I do have it.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1373440 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#282 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - October 11th 2020, 09:12 AM

I came in contact with someone who had it. Working to get confirmation if they're negative.

I'm an essential worker who works with the public and 8 just started getting back to work. It's terrifying but also essential for my mental health
  (#283 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Corona Virus. - October 11th 2020, 12:22 PM

Cases in the UK are approx 13-17k a day now. I get public transport to and from work and nobody socially distances anymore. My work place are making all of us feel unsafe but nobody in head office or HR are willing to change anything. We are above pre-covid capacity and have no restrictions in place. It's scary.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#284 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42 Points: 88,284, Level: 42

Re: Corona Virus. - October 12th 2020, 02:09 AM

There has been a couple of cases not far from where I live.

(#285 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33 Points: 55,485, Level: 33

Re: Corona Virus. - October 13th 2020, 07:59 AM

We had 20 cases or so in March and everything went on strict lockdown. No schools, no entertainment, limited shopping. Now we've got 5k+ cases and growing by a thousand each day. What does the government do? Bars gotta close after 10 pm. Cool. That's gonna work for sure.

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#286 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - October 14th 2020, 03:45 AM

This virus is becoming too much.

(#287 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - November 23rd 2020, 09:06 AM

The state I live in has had no new COVID-19 cases for the last 16 days. I really hope it stays this way.

(#288 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Corona Virus. - November 23rd 2020, 08:26 PM

The UK is hopeful of a new vaccine created by Oxford University and AstraZeneca that showed at least 70% efficacy (rising to 90% with a double dosage) and is cheaper and easier to store than other trial vaccines. It's planned to be rolled out to the vulnerable and care workers early next year (I think, not sure?) and may also be rolled out to other countries around the world too. So there's some hope!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#289 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Corona Virus. - November 23rd 2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
The UK is hopeful of a new vaccine created by Oxford University and AstraZeneca that showed at least 70% efficacy (rising to 90% with a double dosage) and is cheaper and easier to store than other trial vaccines. It's planned to be rolled out to the vulnerable and care workers early next year (I think, not sure?) and may also be rolled out to other countries around the world too. So there's some hope!
Nice! We are getting a couple too. One is rolling out from the University of Washington which is where I live, so that's cool

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#290 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - November 29th 2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post

I heard about this! Hopefully it will roll out sooner rather than later.

(#291 (permalink)) Old
SophieWaggner83 Offline
https://edocbd.com/
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sophie

Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4

Unhappy Re: Corona Virus. - December 1st 2020, 07:56 AM

I saw how people get sick with the flu and I see how people get sick with coronavirus, and these are completely different things. I have never seen a person die in a week from the flu, but from the coronavirus I saw ... And this is scary, since it is much easier to recover from the flu
  (#292 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

Re: Corona Virus. - December 3rd 2020, 10:01 AM

Coronavirus becoming Covid-19 is a dreadful infecshun. Very nasty to some and many hvae have died. People known to my fam are dead. The virus has caused much crying and upset.

But now the UK is the first country to have the Pfizer BioNTech coronavirus vaccine approved, but what a logistical problem this is going to be, but, I reckon mathematicians will work out the best most effectiv way to roll out this life saving vaccine.

The British government is aware that damaging disinformation is happening on social media. Social media can be a bad platform for bad info, so the British government is presently working to rid this disinfo and find out who the people are.

Once the government publishes data, I will post it here or, as a link.

Just becuasue this new vaccine is being brought out, we in the UK must continue observing social distancing, mask wearing and hand washing until we are officially tol we can stop. It may not be until the summer of 2021 we can do this. I expect tempers will be frayed, so stand strong and don't listen to them what tol you not to.
  (#293 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - December 3rd 2020, 08:43 PM

My dad has it. Most likely got it from his partner who had two coworkers come down with it. I had to get tested but was negative
  (#294 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - December 4th 2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
My dad has it. Most likely got it from his partner who had two coworkers come down with it. I had to get tested but was negative
I'm sorry to hear this. How is your Dad?

(#295 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - December 4th 2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight. View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. How is your Dad?
Both him and his partner are doing as well as can be expected. They seem to be having mild symptoms. They are both high risk so it's a bit nerve wracking. We are being told that if they were gonna get really sick they'd already be experiencing the symptoms. We are hopeful it'll be okay.
  (#296 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18

Re: Corona Virus. - December 7th 2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
Nobody is using any foresight as to how reopenings will just cause a vicious cycle of closings. One of the reasons why reopening schools is such a bad idea is because the numbers will skyrocket and then they'll have to be closed again anyway. Same for businesses.
Didn’t happen here.... and the semester is nearly over. In fact cases here are still lower than they were over summer.

We needed to open up economically speaking. You can’t keep an entire country closed for 18 months. Thus far, it has been better for jobs and businesses the way my state has been doing it- as evidenced by lower unemployment rates than states with the strictest measures.
  (#297 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Re: Corona Virus. - December 9th 2020, 02:52 PM

I'm currently waiting on results to see if I test positive. I started feeling unwell monday, and today heard from a colleague who has also started feeling unwell today. There are now three of us off as another one of my co-workers is off waiting for her son to get tested. It is all very close to home now. Praying all of us get better soon.

Update: just found out i'm positive

Last edited by Everglow.; December 10th 2020 at 06:06 PM.
  (#298 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - December 11th 2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
I'm currently waiting on results to see if I test positive. I started feeling unwell monday, and today heard from a colleague who has also started feeling unwell today. There are now three of us off as another one of my co-workers is off waiting for her son to get tested. It is all very close to home now. Praying all of us get better soon.

I'm very sorry you're 'positive' and will pray, every evening for you. Take as much rest as your body needs and keep those fluids up. If you worsen, contact your doctor immediately and they will decide if you need hospital care.

My twin Sis Julie and I had covid in the 'first wave'. I was the stronger of the two, but she suffered. After we were discharged, she had post-covid fatigue, but is getting well again. I divide work with looking after her and our Maman.

Contact those closest to you; only a few words are needed and they will stand by you.
  (#299 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Re: Corona Virus. - December 11th 2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I hope you start to feel better soon Hollie! Let us know how you're doing from time to time.
  (#300 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - December 11th 2020, 09:58 PM

I'm horrified to see covid infections are rising again. Over 20 thou yesterday and over 21 thou today. The UK government is away doing The Brexit Dance, but who in my country are in charge? Because maybe people over here are ignoring social distancing, mask wearing and gathering in groups. Our university students are in a rush to get home this week, but no officials appear to be in charge of them.

Is covid going to become a 3rd wave?
  (#301 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Corona Virus. - December 12th 2020, 11:07 PM

I'm doing contact tracing so I should be in the second round of vaccines in my state.

If your area does contact tracing, please, please be nice to the contact tracers and answer what they are asking of you. I'm a contact tracer and in my state we ask how you're feeling and if you need any help, and ask who you've been in contact to and if you've been anywhere like a school or restaurant so we can take appropriate action. We also tell people when they've been exposed to someone with Covid. We ask them to isolate for 10 days if they're positive or 14 days if they've been just exposed. It's for everyone's health that we get information like contacts.

Please answer us when we call, and try to be nice! I get it's scary, but we're truly trying to help you. We don't tell anyone that you're the one who is positive and everything stays confidential. We just want to slow the spread.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#302 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Corona Virus. - December 13th 2020, 08:33 PM

I just found out my city is quickly moving towards stage five precautions. I would be completely isolated since I live alone and the restrictions say you can't gather with anyone outside of your household. I was supposed to go see a movie on Christmas Day and now I am not so sure it's a good idea to go. I am very worried about catching COVID, especially as an overweight, newly-diagnosed diabetic.

I hate people sometimes. Why can't they just wear a mask and follow the CDC guidelines? It's not hard! But here we are, and everything is going to crap.
  (#303 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Re: Corona Virus. - December 14th 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I'm doing contact tracing so I should be in the second round of vaccines in my state.

If your area does contact tracing, please, please be nice to the contact tracers and answer what they are asking of you. I'm a contact tracer and in my state we ask how you're feeling and if you need any help, and ask who you've been in contact to and if you've been anywhere like a school or restaurant so we can take appropriate action. We also tell people when they've been exposed to someone with Covid. We ask them to isolate for 10 days if they're positive or 14 days if they've been just exposed. It's for everyone's health that we get information like contacts.

Please answer us when we call, and try to be nice! I get it's scary, but we're truly trying to help you. We don't tell anyone that you're the one who is positive and everything stays confidential. We just want to slow the spread.
We have similar going on here in the UK. I'm not sure how I would respond to someone calling me for contact tracing. I think it would depend on how busy I am. If I'm currently dealing with a client and genuinely don't have the time to respond, I would likely see if the caller could call at X time, or just let them know I can't take the call at present.

My only concern is, what if I'm told I've been in contact with somebody who has it and that I must self-isolate for 10-14 days? Not everybody can take that amount of time off. For somebody like me, all those days off can literally mean I'm throwing away so much money that's used to help me support my family.

During the time my assistant manager caught it, I was in the office with her a few days prior to her being tested. Exactly 1 week from when I was in the office with her, I noticed I had a slight shortness of breath when trying to perform cardiovascular exercise. I couldn't get a full breath of air but I never thought much on it. I just put it down to the fact I was on inhalers as a child and maybe it was related to it. I did consider that perhaps I'd caught Covid, and felt like I was stuck with a dilemma; either report that I feel a little out of breath when I normally wouldn't, or keep it to myself.

It's quite awkward for those of us who do want to help support the slowing of the spread, but we also have to work or we have no home to go back to.
  (#304 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - December 16th 2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivière View Post

We have similar going on here in the UK. I'm not sure how I would respond to someone calling me for contact tracing. I think it would depend on how busy I am. If I'm currently dealing with a client and genuinely don't have the time to respond, I would likely see if the caller could call at X time, or just let them know I can't take the call at present.

My only concern is, what if I'm told I've been in contact with somebody who has it and that I must self-isolate for 10-14 days? Not everybody can take that amount of time off. For somebody like me, all those days off can literally mean I'm throwing away so much money that's used to help me support my family.

During the time my assistant manager caught it, I was in the office with her a few days prior to her being tested. Exactly 1 week from when I was in the office with her, I noticed I had a slight shortness of breath when trying to perform cardiovascular exercise. I couldn't get a full breath of air but I never thought much on it. I just put it down to the fact I was on inhalers as a child and maybe it was related to it. I did consider that perhaps I'd caught Covid, and felt like I was stuck with a dilemma; either report that I feel a little out of breath when I normally wouldn't, or keep it to myself.

It's quite awkward for those of us who do want to help support the slowing of the spread, but we also have to work or we have no home to go back to.
I feel sad that you are in such a difficult predicament, and I imagine that you must be your mother's official carer, just like am to my twin sister. If you were to come into contact with a coronavirus infected person, this government announcement shows you would have to self-isolate for 10 days: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...-self-isolate/ which is running until the next review, 21st December.

To not to, and this draconian government will fine you, or any of us should we disobey their national ruling.

There is some hope, which could be financial help given for free by the government. Maybe you could claim financial help for looking after your mother anyway. All the same it is very difficult and worrying.

Down a few paragraphs of this other government announcement https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...self-isolation , after the bullet points they state:

'Recognising that self-isolation is one of the most powerful tools for controlling the transmission of Covid-19, this new Test and Trace Support payment of £500 will ensure that those on low incomes are able to self-isolate without worry about their finances.'

This could be of financial benefit to you. Given the circumstances to anyone residing in the UK, this would apply to them also.

And the sticking point remains, we would have to obey the law lest get fined a whacking great £10,000 Since that data was published last December 20th the government have not reneged on payments. So you stand a chance, Sarah, though let us hope it never comes to that.

I understand through the latest news that Wales is under full lockdown: Tier 3, but with level sodding 4 from December 28th

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

It wouldn't surprise us one bit that the entire country will be forced in full lockdown come January 2021 if the R number increases.
  (#305 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Re: Corona Virus. - December 16th 2020, 07:08 PM

Thank you Wendi, I appreciate all that you've said.

I'm not happy the fact that gyms have to close. Again. 3rd time now. It's getting ridiculous. What problems will it solve? People will just cross the border again, go to England, and exercise there. Then England will have to go into lockdown and Wales will open up, so English gym-goers will come to Wales. Again. It's like a dog chasing its own tail.

Not only that, what evidence is there to close gyms? Gyms are one of the healthiest places to go because everybody goes there to get fit. If someone's snotting and snorting everywhere and they feel like crap, they're not going to turn up in a crop top and a pair of leggings and have at it. They'd stay at home and get better.

It also has started to affect small businesses. People where I live are closing down. Even larger businesses are having to pull out of the area.

I'm starting to get so fed up with lockdowns. If people want to stay at home and isolate, they will, but people who want to go out, will find a way to. One way or another, whether the government likes it or not. There will always be people working to circumvent the system. Even when England was in a 1-month lockdown, the amount of people who came from England to exercise at my gym was unreal. We even hit max capacity on several occasions. People are willing to risk that £10,000 fine because they want to exercise. To them, exercise is more valuable and the government fails to see this.
  (#306 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - December 16th 2020, 08:41 PM

The national news tonight totally sucks and with your gym business being closed 3 times now, I'm not surprised you're in despair.

Could it be possible to take your gym online? I know nothing about setting up websites and stuff, but some have done it and succeeded. How about you and your business partner? Do you think you could go online and have your gym users temporarily subscribe?

I agree that people will break the law and do their own thing. Many are long sick and tired of government restrictions and are determined to get the Christmas they intend since so much domestic planning and commuting cannot be undone. There will undoubtedly be much cathartic spending this year as people over-compensate for a lousy Christmas by spending ££££s in the shops and online.

I'm very worried that the NHS will be overrun. Already, queues of unwell patients are having to stay in ambulances like we've seen tonight just outside Belfast: up to a 12 hour wait. It's a gloomy picture overshadowed by a deeply right-wing overbearing government, but with a blink of an eyelid could change where masses of people strike out and do their own thing. I don't read the newspapers for the sensationalist stuff in print, but everything seems to be so unsettling.

Our antiques business has been classified as 'non essential' and has had to close, though our last clients bought almost everything. I took Julie out in a wheelchair for some last minute shopping, which cheered her up despite being well wrapped in PPE. She needed taking out.

I hope you find a way through this. We will be as supportive as we can, but let us take a day at a time. With Christmas looming, it's all we can do but be brave during these darkened days. I'm not greatly religious, but will pray for you, your Mum and your business partner.

Hugs,
Wendi
  (#307 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Re: Corona Virus. - December 17th 2020, 08:51 AM

I don't actually own the gym, I just work in it. It's still frustrating nonetheless. I worry that the company is going to decide to shut up shop and close down, then I'd either have to try and find somewhere else to go and PT, or allow my business to fade away like so many others.

For now, the lockdown is being reviewed on the 18th January. Only a 3-week lockdown but it's still worrying to me. I can't get to the gym to properly exercise. Though I have home equipment, I've grown beyond it and there's no point in me buying loads of equipment... after all, where would I put it? We have very little space at home as it is.

I worry for the mental health of my clients and other gym-goers. I don't understand why the government can't see gyms as essential. They hold no grounds to close gyms, yet they do it anyway.
  (#308 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Corona Virus. - December 19th 2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
We do give letters for work saying that you must quarantine for the amount of time, but it doers suck that pay depends on where you work. That's not a part we get involved in. However, we do have community resource specialists who are supposed to help with that sort of thing. I'm supposed to make referrals to them when people give me permission to for food/income/prescription/etc concerns.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#309 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Re: Corona Virus. - December 19th 2020, 06:42 PM

Sigh. My gym ended up being closed today due to an emergency lockdown by the Welsh Government. Needless to say panic ensued in everyone. The gym poured with people getting last-minute workouts in, and shops were filled with people trying to sort out Christmas presents they had yet to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post

We do give letters for work saying that you must quarantine for the amount of time, but it doers suck that pay depends on where you work. That's not a part we get involved in. However, we do have community resource specialists who are supposed to help with that sort of thing. I'm supposed to make referrals to them when people give me permission to for food/income/prescription/etc concerns.
I hope that's similar to the UK. It would give me some comfort.
  (#310 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18 Points: 16,535, Level: 18

Re: Corona Virus. - December 20th 2020, 04:40 PM

Our governor has given me some hope for the job market in my state. He has again reassured us that we have a right to make a living wage without government restrictions. So we (hopefully) don’t have to worry about another lockdown and another big unemployment spike here. Our state was hit harder by the lockdown than the virus imo. Karens can fuck off.
  (#311 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: Corona Virus. - December 20th 2020, 09:51 PM

since covid I've taken 1 antibody test, which I didn't have and 3 pcr tests (nose swab, not rapid) Today I had my 3rd test and awaiting results. I have been exposed multiple people who tested positive this time around.

It is getting harder to avoid. I work at a school and I spent a lot of lunch duties "reminding" students to keep their mask on every 5 minutes. Oh how they can very easily remember what time school is over and what time recess is (they complained they should have longer recess when a fire drill cut into their recess) but somehow they can't remember to wear a mask. I've gotten into serious power struggles. They pull it down just to push buttons and I'm tired of policing and being compared to the teachers who "let". I'm now known as the one who doesn't let.

This whole thing sucks and I'm tired of worrying over every little headache and sneeze.

Although I believe I will recover if I do have it. I'm not looking forward to potential nerve damage. Nor the fact that I can spread it to people with vulnerable immune systems. I know I have been super careful. Even avoided seeing my friends from NY this weekend and they're a hit disappointed but they don't understand that I've been directly exposed and I'm not making up excuses or being paranoid. There are people who are over age 60, who have asthma and other high risk conditions. Why would I take the chance? I know multiple people who have been sick and either passed away or were unwell for a while. Not to mention the principal at my old school dying suddenly in her sleep and my cat passing away in September that just makes me extra aware of how I can accidentally kill someone.
  (#312 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - December 21st 2020, 06:09 AM

So there's been an increase of cases in the state I live in. Right before Christmas.

(#313 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Corona Virus. - December 30th 2020, 04:44 PM

A relative of my mum's work colleague might have covid and the colleague has been in contact with their relative. Today, at work, they didn't feel well so went home and had a coronavirus test. We'll find out tomorrow. But my mum has been in contact with this colleague. And it's so annoying because my mum has underlying health issues and was shielding earlier this year, but despite the lockdowns, those who were shielding still work unless the manager agrees to furlough again (my mum works in a pharmacy so it's essential). We've kept to the rules and me and my brothers have barely left the house since the first lockdown back in March. So I'm hoping for all our sakes (I'm overweight so that scares me too), the result is negative.

Edited: Colleagues test came back negative, thankfully!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer

Last edited by Celyn; January 2nd 2021 at 03:12 PM.
  (#314 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Corona Virus. - January 2nd 2021, 08:59 AM

It is now compulsory for us to wear masks.

(#315 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - January 2nd 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight. View Post
It is now compulsory for us to wear masks.

I'm being respectful here, though you're unimpressed in wearing a mask, it will protect you and others you come close to or in contact with. Because nobody knows (except those who survived Covid like Julie and me), whether they might in fact, be carriers of coronavirus!

Wearing a mask will significantly reduce the number of infections. In Monaco, our Principality made it law to wear one. Good! Good also in the UK where we fled from to get home before the boarders shut, but out of consideration to others, not only because wearing a mask is compulsory, we are actively trying to keep infections down.

Compared to some states in the US, the UK (being England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland) is a small country, and yet - Coronavirus infections are raging daily! Here are some alarming stats in the UK- Ref.BBC News:

Monday December 28th: 41,385 infections, 357 deaths
Tuesday December 29th: 53,135 infections, 414 deaths
Wednesday December 30th: 50,023 infections, 981 deaths
Thursday December 31st: 55,892 infections, 964 deaths
Friday January 1st: 52,285 infections, 613 deaths
Saturday January 2nd: No data until 5PM GMT

Imagine the infection rate had nobody worn masks. And America has even higher infection rates!

Monaco infections to date: 885, deaths: 3

Arguably my country is significantly smaller. But all of my people are being extra careful, some even wearing face shields. Julie stays in with good reason. At home we take extra precaution for her because she's clinically highly vulnerable.

So in kindness I implore you, wear your mask for the safety of everyone around you; know you are making a significant difference.
  (#316 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - January 2nd 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I am concerned because it's new and there's no way for anybody to know the effect it will have on our bodies should we catch it. But at the same time, I do think the media are sensationalising it quite a bit.

To the point that in my local supermarket there is NO soap left on the shelves at ALL.
Coronavirus affects people very differently. Some show not many symptoms at all, yet some who have underlying health problems will need hospital care.

I know as does Julie what this evil virus can do, but hesitate because it could upset a great many. And I can assure you that BBC News is no way sensationalizing Covid. But, if you really want to know, type this into the Google box: 'bbc news: covid: why is coronavirus such a threat?' and all should become clear.

Julie and I are scared, and we don't even live in the UK any more, but have France with the mutant virus running rampage!
  (#317 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Re: Corona Virus. - January 3rd 2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Chops View Post

Coronavirus affects people very differently. Some show not many symptoms at all, yet some who have underlying health problems will need hospital care.

I know as does Julie what this evil virus can do, but hesitate because it could upset a great many. And I can assure you that BBC News is no way sensationalizing Covid. But, if you really want to know, type this into the Google box: 'bbc news: covid: why is coronavirus such a threat?' and all should become clear.

Julie and I are scared, and we don't even live in the UK any more, but have France with the mutant virus running rampage!
How my views have changed since I posted this in March!! Much different picture now to what it was then. I had Covid at the start of december (thankfully mild), but right now I know of many many people who have it, and the threat is very real. I think now that we know more about it and the pandemic has esculated this much, most people hold very different views to those they held back before lockdown was even a word we knew.

(#318 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Re: Corona Virus. - January 4th 2021, 06:19 PM

England is going into national lockdown. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55538937

Not that it technically affects those of us in Wales... or it shouldn't if people were to be sticking to the Welsh lockdown rules. .

I feel for those who have to be stuck at home with no mental health support or a way of keeping in contact with others.
  (#319 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Re: Corona Virus. - January 4th 2021, 06:34 PM

This lockdown is supposed to be closer to the March lockdown from last year, with schools closing and people being told to stay home. They're going to be postponing exams and things too. We've had 50,000+ new cases every day for about 6 days now, and had over 900 deaths a day for two of them. Where I work, people are still taking their masks off in store, still coming in for non-essential reasons. I hope this lockdown makes a difference and that people listen to the advice and stick to the rules.

(#320 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Corona Virus. - January 4th 2021, 09:29 PM

We've just finished watching UK's BBC News and have to say I'm not surprised since Covid's various new mutations have been rampaging, increasing infections as Hollie's just shared.

I feel sad how the UK lockdown is going to be affecting not only small businesses and individuals such as older students about to do the GCSEs, but also families with children who have not been given computers by the British government to school remotely at home. Many are poor and can't afford laptops. Is the UK government going to hand more out free of charge?

I hope during these coming weeks that vaccinations are carried out. But 14 million expected by mid-February? Is Boris Johnson fantasizing again with his grandiose remarks, or could it be possible to vaccinate all the 'extremely clinically vulnerable over 70's' in addition to the elderly in rest homes? That is going to be massive if things go to plan. But they rarely do.

Or maybe I'm wrong? Maybe even teenagers and young children should be vaccinated, too.
Closed Thread